Cute>Hot
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Speculation over the next generation of consoles--specifically Microsoft's Next Xbox--has spread like fire as of late. The latest hearsay suggests the processing chip for Microsoft next console is already in production, with debug kits available to game studios as soon as April. Now, new light has been shed on Microsoft's Next Xbox, the latest word suggesting it could play Blu-ray discs, block users from playing used games, and introduce the Kinect 2.

According to "games industry sources" speaking with Kotaku, the Next Xbox will use Blu-ray as its disc technology, an upgrade from the DVD drive the Xbox 360 currently sports. Sony's PlayStation 3 supports Blu-Ray, and it has since it was first launched in 2006. Blu-ray disc capacity is significantly greater than that of DVD.
Additionally, a "reliable industry source" tells Kotaku that Microsoft's Next Xbox may incorporate a system that blocks gamers from playing used titles. Further details concerning the implementation of such a system were not offered.
Further, a source familiar with Microsoft's plans told the blog that the company will ship the Next Xbox with an updated version of the full-body gesture-recognition technology Kinect. According to Kotaku's source, this new iteration of the Kinect will contain an onboard processor for greater motion detection, a feature that was supposedly considered for the first Kinect.
Lastly, the gaming blog reports that Microsoft is "interested" in creating a smaller controller for the Next Xbox. Further details on this controller were not made available.
A Microsoft spokesperson told GameSpot, "As an innovator, we're always thinking about what is next and how we can push the boundaries of technology like we did with Kinect. We believe the key to extending the lifespan of a console is not just about the console hardware, but about the games and entertainment experiences being delivered to consumers. Beyond that, we don't comment on rumors or speculation."
The Xbox 360 is Microsoft's second home console, following the original Xbox. The Xbox 360 was released in North America in November 2005 and has gone on to sell 66 million units worldwide. The Kinect has shipped 18 million units worldwide since it was launched during the holiday 2010 season.

Source

http://www.gamespot....ws/6349165.html

I believe this is proper time to use this

[yt]1ytCEuuW2_A[/yt]

BD players is nice but.......

Blocking used games will not make this sell, congratulations Microsoft on blocking 50% of your market, you earned this.

epic+fail.gif

Reactions: 6 people

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Blocking used games is simple. Look at PC games. You use a registration key. Boom. You can sell it, the individual still has to purchase a key, or illegally crack it. Or design the system in a way so that each new game kind of registers itself to the system automatically. Regardless, I don't anticipate this happening. Unless it's directly from Microsoft, it is not reliable news.

Reactions: 1 person

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only way I can see blocking used games working is if they require online activation of each game, which is just annoying. Considering the backlash over the savefiles in RE Mercs though, I don't see it happening. BD is belivable since Wii You is also supposed to have it.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LOL if u can't play used games.. what about old titles that u can't get as new anymore or cost way too much to get new? FAIL.

Those would be blocked most likely, well there goes Microsoft as a console developer. They have created more fail than Sony and Nintendo created combined for 15 years.

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I personally don't care about blu ray player, I have dedicated players + a PS3 at home which can play them perfectly.

As for used games, yep epic fail. Still it's just speculation so I won't add 'Microsoft is an' in between yep and epic.

Now, the only thing you'll need... Increase XBL gold membership fees by 20% /sarcasm

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL BLOCKS USED GAMES, there goes a lot of your sales. luckily i've switched to pc gaming, and it's really cheap through steam, SCREW CONSOLES!

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People use the money crumbs they get back from used games to help purchase new games. I don't see how this helps MS or game devs/pubs in the long run.
Back when I played 360, I never bought a new game, and if I was still into consoles, this would stop me from even considering their new console.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Personally:

Region Lock + Payable online >>>>>>>> unable to play used games.

If this really were to be implemented in the next console, MS might as well quit the gaming industry.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If true, my want for this is now in the negatives. I mean really, I only so often buy used games, but it really a turn off in how greedy that sounds period.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on. this sounds fake. I mean how can the system differentiate a used game from a new game. Isn't a game no longer "new" after being used once. So how would the system know if the game im using was used before by my friend or something. Unless they tied the game to console, but even then there would need to be some sort of indicating factor on the disc itself(serial number?) to attach it to a console, but if I was going to play the now "used" game on another system, wouldn't it then need to check it against some kind of database in order to check if it's "used", which likely would be over the internet, which can be disabled or non existant. I duno.This sounds like a crock.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Come on. this sounds fake. I mean how can the system differentiate a used game from a new game. Isn't a game no longer "new" after being used once. So how would the system know if the game im using was used before by my friend or something. Unless they tied the game to console, but even then there would need to be some sort of indicating factor on the disc itself(serial number?) to attach it to a console, but if I was going to play the now "used" game on another system, wouldn't it then need to check it against some kind of database in order to check if it's "used", which likely would be over the internet, which can be disabled or non existant. I duno.This sounds like a crock.
The previous posters did mention about the usage of CODES.

I'll take it as a pinch of salt right now, because it does sound really unlike Microsoft.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Apologize for the language, but what the fuck is Microsoft thinking?!
Plus, doesn't this break some sort of second sale law or something...?
Either way... this garbage is bound to stir up some lawsuits or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM