Rumour: Kratos in PS3's Soul Calibur IV

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by The Teej, Jun 25, 2008.

Jun 25, 2008
  1. The Teej
    OP

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Rumor: Kratos in PS3 version of Soul Calibur IV

The God of War may be making a guest appearance in Soul Calibur IV if EGM's Quartermann is to be believed. 1Up reveals that its sister-publication's resident rumormonger anticipates Kratos will be in the PlayStation 3 version of the game. Kratos, meet Darth Vader.

Quartermann apparently doesn't go into whether Microsoft will have its own mascot to keep Yoda and the "Dark Apprentice" company on the Xbox 360's SC IV guest roster. Considering the game is due out next month, this rumor should reveal its veracity shortly.

Source: Joystiq

I think I'd need a whole box of Kleenex if true, if you catch my drift [​IMG] It'd also mean I'd have to get the PS3 version without a shadow of doubt. Kratos Vs. Vader = Epic Epic EPIC win.

2. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    and what about masterchief for the 360? [​IMG]

3. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wow, he'd be the most annoying character on the planet

"CLUTCH THE TRIGGER FOR WIN"

EDIT: Although, if that did happen, I'd love it if they hacked both games to put MC in the PS3 version. I mean, Spartan Vs. Spartan [​IMG]

4. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So, apart from the lack of an obvious Nintendo port, this is just like the home releases for Soul Calibur II?

Kratos would fit surprisingly well, but it'd be interesting to see the Chief with a number of futuristic melee weapons. =P

5. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    You talk as if namco actually understands common sense [​IMG]

6. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Oh come on, Jedis and Kratos have beyond human fighting level.

How in the world do you block a lightsaber with a katana? In the movie one swing of the lightsaber clean-cuts a guy in half, but in game SC characters take a brutal beating and won't even lose a finger.
    (Breaking news, Jedis/Siths in SC4 are confirmed to have glowing sticks as their weapons instead of lightsabers)

I don't know how well Kratos would fit, his blades have really long reach and that could destroy gameplay. And him using his blades like double daggers are lame on its own as well.

My hasty judgement aside, let's see how they turn out.

7. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Oh, you're gonna want to flog me for having too much Star Wars information. There's apparently some material that if used properly like in the creation of weapons or armor, are actually resistant to lightsabers. As in, you'll have some Jedi swinging at a guy using this metal sword, and not only will the lightsaber bounce off of it, it won't even do any damage to it. [​IMG]

So they'll just conveniently have weapons made out of that material. I honestly would rather a lightsaber be an ultimate weapon instead of starting out, for aforementioned reasons. Though, I can't help but wonder what a Soul Edge/Soulcalibur Lightsaber would look like...

Kratos might play a bit like Ivy/chain-flail Create-a-Soul person from SC3. He might be rather slow, given his large range, or something. Why am I talking about him; never even played God of War. >_>;

I still want to see MC in the 360 one though, if we're going by exclusives. Hot Energy Sword-on-Lightsaber action!

8. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    Kratos won't be slow, trust me.

Kratos will play REALLY well. He has an assortment of weapons, not just the Blades of Chaos/Athena (chained swords). He has the Spear of Destiny, blade of olympus (super awesome sword), barbarian hammer, and a few more I can't entirely remember at 3am, so he won't just be an Ivy clone. As for the long reach, I'm guessing the blades max out at about half the screen width, which is acceptable. Regardless of length, however, the blades can be blocked and can be used (and is done by multiple opponents in the games) to stun and grab Kratos, or yank the chains to grab him. He doesn't have a running animation, as he always runs. However, he does have a roll move which not only can be used to make Kratos move faster, but actually be used in succession with certain weapons for alternative moves. His jumps are a little higher then most, but they wouldn't cause an imbalance IMO (as an attack in the air will send Kratos hurling back down, lying down).

The Golden Fleece can be used to hurl energy back at enemies, so presumably, this would be able to block a lightsaber. Kratos also has multiple costumes from GoW II, so a 2 man Kratos fight is possible.

Putting it simply, Kratos will fit in so well you'd think he was actually designed for Soul Calibur. Having gone through all of this, it'd actually be crazier *not* to include him. He'd play perfectly.

9. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I heard that when fighting female characters, he can actually just engage in an offscreen sex mini-game to earn red orbs.

My source is reliable.

10. The Teej
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

X
    O
    TRIANGLE
    ROTATE LEFT
    ROTATE RIGHT
    ROTATE!