*rumour* 343 Industries working on Halo 2 anniversary edition?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Clarky, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Clarky
    OP

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    [​IMG]
    With Halo due to make it's return this fall with Halo 4, whispers indicate that Microsoft maybe happy enough to give more love to its number one franchise by giving it a HD makeover. In OXM under tehre rumour section is posted that 343 Studios are working on a remaster in a similar vein to Halo-Combat Evolved, which was released last fall to celebrate the 10th anniversery of the Halo series. Originally released on the Xbox in the fall of 2004, it would go on to sell 6.3 million copies making it the best first party selling game on Xbox and was the most popular game on Xbox Live until Gears of War came out. A PC version was released in 2007 which angered many fans as it was sold on the basis of only being compatible with Windows Vista at the time. The reception to Halo 2 was positive due to its multiplayer but was critized over its single player campaign which was rushed towards the end leading to a cliff hanger ending​
    Can't really say I give a monkeys about this one personally as i have the pc version but seeing as every other Halo game is on the 360 it makes sence in my head, just that 2014 date to consider...​

2. Crimsonclaw111

Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    Saturation eminent.

3. triassic911

triassic911 Burst Mode

May 9, 2007
    United States
    NYC, USA
    I don't think this remake is necessary.

4. shlong

shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Jun 18, 2009
    Italy
    Charlotte's maze
    Halo 2 was kinda balls, it was just a crappy remake of CE

5. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Halo 2...The only xbox halo with good multiplayer modes.

6. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Still going to happen, when did a developer ever think about 'necessary?'

7. Hero-Link

Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Obviously they shutted down the Halo 2 servers, just so they could "remake" the game and charge for it again one year or so later.

8. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    I can hear the cows now...

1 person likes this.
  9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I wouldn't mind a Halo 2 remake really. Halo 1 and 2 were the only good Halo games IMO (so far, 4 might spark something).

10. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    So not buying this if it's full price, or even CEA price.
    This would be a good candidate for an XBL Arcade release.

11. Fear Zoa

Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    At this rate halo 3 will be the first game to be remade for the console it released on.

4 people like this.
  12. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I don't really see any problem with this tbh. Every other FPS series rehashes all their shit, at least the Halo series still gets NEW and different games with each successor. Throwing out two HD remakes to milk some extra cash isn't that surprising, nor really that tragic.

Except there's about a 0% chance it would even have the same multiplayer.
    It'll more than likely just do what the Halo 1 remake did, include a multiplayer disk for the current latest Halo game. So the Halo 2 remake will probably have a disk for Halo 4 multiplayer with it or included on it.

They shut it down because no one played Halo 2 anymore. Pretty simple, why keep the servers up?

13. brandonspikes

brandonspikes King Erazer

May 30, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Halo 2 was the best halo for multiplayer Hands down

14. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    If this is true, and featured the same multiplayer as the original, this sh*t would sell like hotcakes.
    Well, unless the non-CoD part of the world stopped caring about FPSes.

15. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Imoriata
    I hope we get a PC version this time. Seriously, CEA needs a PC version, maybe even on Steam.

16. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    I don't see them putting the original multiplayer, that'd mean keeping up another server for it when they can just take Halo 4's multiplayer and add Halo 2's maps to it.

You probably won't see this though until a while after Halo 4.

17. Maverick Lunar X

Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    United States
    I wouldn't be too surprised if this ended up as DLC for Halo 4. Expensive DLC.

1 person likes this.
  18. Maverick Lunar X

Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    United States
    Negative. Lots of people were still playing when they took it down. The XBL 1.0 drop apparently happened so they could add features to the current XBL, but keeping the original was preventing them from doing so.

19. Vinnymac

Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2005
    United States
    NY
    Personally I don't want to see the campaigns remade like they were in Anniversary. Although it was a very fun game.

I would like to see either a recreation of the old multiplayer in an Arcade format for download on Xbox Live. Or alternatively all the campaigns in one huge Anniversary pack.

I am still upset about the fact that they didnt bring back any Halo CE multiplayer features. I would have loved to play some custom games with new graphics from the original multiplayer levels. Halo 2 is in that same boat for me. A multiplayer remake would be very loved, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon due to the fact that they will not release multiplayer remakes that will damage or affect the multiplayer games they are already releasing. Like Halo: Reach would have been impacted by Halo CE Anniversary (if it had multiplayer), and Halo 4 would be impacted by Halo 2 (if it was remade).

20. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Nobody reads anything... The shut down of the original Xbox servers, not just ONE or TWO games... Was to make room on Microsofts end for their useless line up of applications such as YouTube, ESPN, Hulu, Netflix, and all of that jazz. They did it to cut budgets. It angered more than a handful of Xbox owners, this much I can tell you. Halo 2 wasn't dead, I can assure you that.