*rumour* 343 Industries working on Halo 2 anniversary edition?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halo2.jpg
With Halo due to make it's return this fall with Halo 4, whispers indicate that Microsoft maybe happy enough to give more love to its number one franchise by giving it a HD makeover. In OXM under tehre rumour section is posted that 343 Studios are working on a remaster in a similar vein to Halo-Combat Evolved, which was released last fall to celebrate the 10th anniversery of the Halo series. Originally released on the Xbox in the fall of 2004, it would go on to sell 6.3 million copies making it the best first party selling game on Xbox and was the most popular game on Xbox Live until Gears of War came out. A PC version was released in 2007 which angered many fans as it was sold on the basis of only being compatible with Windows Vista at the time. The reception to Halo 2 was positive due to its multiplayer but was critized over its single player campaign which was rushed towards the end leading to a cliff hanger ending​
Can't really say I give a monkeys about this one personally as i have the pc version but seeing as every other Halo game is on the 360 it makes sence in my head, just that 2014 date to consider...​

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Obviously they shutted down the Halo 2 servers, just so they could "remake" the game and charge for it again one year or so later.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really see any problem with this tbh. Every other FPS series rehashes all their shit, at least the Halo series still gets NEW and different games with each successor. Throwing out two HD remakes to milk some extra cash isn't that surprising, nor really that tragic.

Obviously they shutted down the Halo 2 servers, just so they could "remake" the game and charge for it again one year or so later.

Except there's about a 0% chance it would even have the same multiplayer.
It'll more than likely just do what the Halo 1 remake did, include a multiplayer disk for the current latest Halo game. So the Halo 2 remake will probably have a disk for Halo 4 multiplayer with it or included on it.

They shut it down because no one played Halo 2 anymore. Pretty simple, why keep the servers up?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this is true, and featured the same multiplayer as the original, this sh*t would sell like hotcakes.
Well, unless the non-CoD part of the world stopped caring about FPSes.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see them putting the original multiplayer, that'd mean keeping up another server for it when they can just take Halo 4's multiplayer and add Halo 2's maps to it.

You probably won't see this though until a while after Halo 4.

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They shut it down because no one played Halo 2 anymore. Pretty simple, why keep the servers up?

Negative. Lots of people were still playing when they took it down. The XBL 1.0 drop apparently happened so they could add features to the current XBL, but keeping the original was preventing them from doing so.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally I don't want to see the campaigns remade like they were in Anniversary. Although it was a very fun game.

I would like to see either a recreation of the old multiplayer in an Arcade format for download on Xbox Live. Or alternatively all the campaigns in one huge Anniversary pack.

I am still upset about the fact that they didnt bring back any Halo CE multiplayer features. I would have loved to play some custom games with new graphics from the original multiplayer levels. Halo 2 is in that same boat for me. A multiplayer remake would be very loved, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon due to the fact that they will not release multiplayer remakes that will damage or affect the multiplayer games they are already releasing. Like Halo: Reach would have been impacted by Halo CE Anniversary (if it had multiplayer), and Halo 4 would be impacted by Halo 2 (if it was remade).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Nobody reads anything... The shut down of the original Xbox servers, not just ONE or TWO games... Was to make room on Microsofts end for their useless line up of applications such as YouTube, ESPN, Hulu, Netflix, and all of that jazz. They did it to cut budgets. It angered more than a handful of Xbox owners, this much I can tell you. Halo 2 wasn't dead, I can assure you that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte