[Rumors] Next Xbox to have publishers decide "always-on" and more.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by DinohScene, Apr 29, 2013.

1. DinohScene
    OP

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    [​IMG]

Seems that there are some new rumors on the new xbox.
    First off, MS will let publishers decide whether their content should have an always-on connection or not.

The friends system will have no cap anymore.
    They want to make it similar to twitter, where people can follow one another.

More achievements.
    Let developers add achievements later in game.

XBLive more intergrated into social media.
    XBLive is going to be better aligned with social media like Facebook/Twitter.

As always with rumors, take it with a heap of salt.
    Source: 360Crunch

431unknown likes this.
  2. dgwillia

dgwillia The Bacon Lover

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Columbia Station, Ohio
    If a single game has always on, I'm not buying the thing, because it'll be a slippery slope. Either way, the last time I literally even touched my Xbox was when Halo 4 came out in November. All my hype is for the PS4

TheCasketMan, Attila13 and Ergo like this.
  3. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    This is Microsoft's way of passing blame on the matter, now they can say, "don't blame us, the developer didn't have to make it that way." Should the new xbox ever get hacked, all games would logically use the mode from then on. I at the very least hope this rumor is true as its absolutely better than every title (especially single player games) being forced to be always on.

Attila13 likes this.
  4. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    The only way I'm buying a new Microsoft is if there no more paid online.

Bladexdsl and king_leo like this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    yeah the publishers decide huh?
    [​IMG]

Sagat likes this.
  6. rashef

rashef GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2006
    Poland
    Raimon
    So, It'll end as the choice of region locking or not on the 3DS?
    Everyobody can not-use it, nobody really wants to.

7. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    So it's just like PC games. Some require constant internet connection, some don't, depending on the publisher. Microsoft washes their hands of it. Makes sense.

Gahars and Skelletonike like this.
  8. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    Well, it doesn't really matter to me, always online or always offline, I already have my 360 directly connected to the internet together with the TV, since my TV needs always online, I'm ok with the rest also needing to be always online. It's not like I'll die if the internet dies once a year. xP

As long as it has more single player games and rpg's, I'm all for it.

DinohScene likes this.
  9. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Your TV needs always online? So if your net goes the entire screen stops working and you can't even watch a DVD?

10. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    Not the TV per se, but the box needs, its has all the channels and the 24/7 recording, which records everything that goes on in all channels up to seven days, don't know what it's called over there. Anyway, yeah, if the internet goes down, there isn't anything to see on the tv, except external media like pens, bluray and dvd's.

11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    So basically, devs can choose: Either add always online for more control over their customers, possible adding of extra online stuff and better protection against cheaters and/or pirates, or they can leave it out and hope it'll improve sales. Yeah, that's gonna work.

12. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Whelp then rest easy knowing you wont own the Nextbox. It's pretty much guaranteed if this is true, that at the very least Call of Duty and Battlefield WILL do always online.
    Can't think of any others right now. Pretty sure Bungie wouldn't force Always Online, but they ducked out of Halo and I have a feeling 343 might do the always online thing.

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    If it's publisher by publisher, then I'm alright with it.

People say it's a slippery-slope, but it all depends on sales. If people don't want the always-online titles, they just shouldn't buy them. I know it's a bit of a cliche at this point, but it's still true - "You vote with your wallet."

14. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Maybe I'm missing something as I don't have a current gen console but can't they do this already?

Skelletonike and Foxi4 like this.
  15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They can, but hey, the haters have to hate on something.

Similarily PS3 games had the option of being region locked. How many region locked disc games for the PS3 do we have? One.

Skelletonike and xist like this.
  16. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    But hey it's a heated example of region locking that caused many an argument.

17. AaronZ

AaronZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    They do already do this, I know some of Capcom's PSN/XBL games had an always on DRM, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 I know for certain has it.

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    And the rumored game line-up:

Diablo 3
    Sim City

:tpi:

On a more serious note...I don't really get the hate on it. It's only a matter of time before someone makes an MMORPG for consoles, so a feature like this would be straight up their alley.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Final Fantasy XI hit on the PS2 and also got a version on the 360, there was EverQuest Online Adventures on the PS2, RuneScape was set to appear on the 360 though it got dropped and there was also the farce that was Final Fantasy 14. Depending upon how you view it there was also Phantasy star online, some of the more traditional RPG type things have some serious online modes and there are some other oddities on XBLA and similar services. More recently there is also Defiance and Dust 514 (tied to Eve online) is out in a couple of weeks.

As for the matter at hand... eh. I am probably not the person MS want to sell to but I really liked my 360 and this is not lining up to be a good start.

Rydian likes this.
  20. ccmalls13
    This message by ccmalls13 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Apr 30, 2013.
    Apr 30, 2013
  21. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    Right, right, good thing that HDCP thing--which started out as optional--hasn't gained any traction (and is far more akin to always-on DRM than region-locking, the latter of which is implemented mostly to 'protect' licensors in other territories from lost sales, and f***-all to do with DRM).

Oh, wait:

http://howto.techworld.com/personal-tech/3257460/hdcp-errors-with-itunes-hd-content/

(Feel free to Google a veritable panoply of examples, re: HDCP and how it caused all manner of issues for people, even though it started out as purely optional--hell, the PS3 *supports* HDCP over its HDMI output which, by your 'logic', shouldn't be happening because, "hey!, only a few manufacturers used it at first and see! that never took off!"
    Except it did. Because publishers *love* DRM, regardless of the cons.)