Rumored successor to PlayStation Now, code-named Project Spartacus, is "pretty close to launching"

960x0.jpg

Late last year, Bloomberg reported that they had insider information on a new service that Sony was working on. Code-named Project Spartacus, it would merge both PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now services and have multiple subscription tiers, with the most expensive one offering classic PlayStation games. A new report has come in, from VentureBeat's Jeff Grubb, as he discussed what he knew about Project Spartacus in a recent episode of the Giantbomb podcast.

He added on to previously teased information, and claimed that there will be three tiers to Spartacus: Essential, Extra, and Premium. Essential would pretty much be the existing PlayStation Plus offering, while Extra would add on a downloadable game catalog, similar to PlayStation Now. Lastly, the Premium tier would have the most features, such as cloud streaming, timed game trials, and "access to classic games", though Grubb was not certain what exactly those classic games would be, or what systems they would be from. According to his knowledge, that would be a major draw for the Premium tier.

These tiers would be $10, $13, and $16, respectively. Grubb also said that Project Spartacus is "probably getting pretty close to launching", with a possible announcement coming sometime in March.

Again, all of these prices and names could change. But this is the general outline of what to expect from Spartacus. And these features should make PS Plus look much stronger in comparison to Xbox Game Pass. While Sony will not include full versions of its blockbuster games in PS Plus on day one, game trials will at least give a bigger audience a chance to sample those games.

Sony is moving into a testing phase for Spartacus in the next few weeks. And it could announce the details of its new membership program in March — although that’ll depend on whether it is ready to roll out the service.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamepass about to get some real competition and i'm all for it baby!!! more choice for me!!!! Don't actually lock the emulated games behind spartacus though like Nintentard did

Reactions: Cyan and Bladexdsl

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still hoping they'll unveil "PlayStation Plus Ultimate" like Xbox does.

And "classic" games? MGS Legacy Collection would be awesome if it was there.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$16 per month is a lot to pay for ps1 games IMHO, but I guess they're just taking cues from Nintendo on overcharging for a subscription service for fifth generation games.

PS Now has a catalog of like 800 titles. Game Pass has 1/4 that number and people praise it at $15 a month.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean I can essentially have a PlayStation Plus subscription without a PlayStation? ...But what else does this mean? Are we about to lose certain perks by having Plus and Now merged? Will it be cheaper (current pricing suggests a yearly price of $120 for a subscription to both services) or be near impossible to afford? Will we not be able to watch movies? Are games still going to be available for a long time (some are near indefinite on the current Now service)?

Questions, questions, and more questions! Time will tell if Now and Plus are going to be truly merged. It's possible that nothing will truly change on the services software side - just the branding will be the same, and you'll automatically be subscribed for both services (now merged as one) if you decide to subscribe.

Got some potential names on my mind... PlayStation Everywhere, PS Club, Sony Gamers, the Xbox Haters Formation, the Disgruntled Nintendo Fans, PS Live, YesPayStation. My vote's on either Club or Everywhere.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you will be able to download certain PS Now titles on a PS4 or PS5, but only streaming on PC. Exactly the same as it is now.
I'm hoping for some more titles than what they have now. I looked over the list, and one game that's absent right now is tales of graces f. that's one of the games I bought the ps3 for. my save was lost though, and I don't want to risk pirating the game, then getting banned with the account I use on the ps5. I also agree with @Chary about tales of the abyss. one of my favorite games ever. I beat it on both the ps2 and the 3ds. I didn't appreciate it as much until I went through it on the 3ds though.

Reactions: Chary

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just want the PS5 to have as robust backwards compatibility as the Xbox, it would be awesome to put the PS2 or PS3 disc and be able to play on the PS5 without any problems.

Honestly, that's the biggest reason I prefer an Xbox Series X to a PS5 these days.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want the PS5 to have as robust backwards compatibility as the Xbox, it would be awesome to put the PS2 or PS3 disc and be able to play on the PS5 without any problems.

Honestly, that's the biggest reason I prefer an Xbox Series X to a PS5 these days.
I feel the same way. I love the ps5, but the series x does have more going for it for the same price. I own both. I think if the ps6 has full bc, it will shatter the competition.

Reactions: Moon164

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
Will PSnow redux be a leader or a fellow traveller.

A few words from the journeymen.

I am spartacus - OnLive.

I am spartacus - Stadia.

I am spartacus - luna.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

they have no excuse either- PS1-PS4 hardware is dirt cheap and they did the same thing from PS2-PS3. if they included full BC i would have gotten PS5

Reactions: Moon164

Bobsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is only interesting to me if you can temporarily download and install games on your local system.
Streaming quality on psnow was not always good for me. I was able to stream The Last of Us, but for a fast game like Sonic Generations, it was unplayable.
Also, talking of retro Games, I want a version of Guardian Heroes.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

This is definitely the preferred option, but Sony wants your money and would rather have you rent your content you already physically own or just make you pay for it again. Remember the shit they did with PS2 classics on the PS4? (if you bought PS2 classics on the PS3, you had to buy them again)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: