[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Has anyone noticed this?

Wiikey U is the first and only optical drive emulator that allows you to play all your WiiU games from any USB media!

Play your WiiU and Wii games from any USB media!
Compatible with all WiiU models and regions
User friendly intuitive interface
No soldering required
Multi-language support
Supports most popular file systems, including EXT4/3/2, Max OS X, and NTFS
Powerful embedded Linux system
High-speed USB2 interface
Firmware and FPGA fully in-system updatable from USB media
Recovery mode - it is always possible to recover from a bad flash
Stylish USB remote with powered USB hub and charger function
Bulletproof high quality hardware (not manufactured in China!)

memorymod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think that playing pirated games would ruin the system, sure it's wrong and illegal but that is the would be pirates own risk, having a program like Gecko would be a sad day (online hacking), on the other hand having pirated games could steer third party developers away :/ overall a bad idea

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The post seems a bit too good to be true. For this to work they would only have to reverse engineer the drive communication, right? Why go and say they reverse engineered the entire system if that has little to do with the modchip? Are they just bragging? (maybe they were hacked and we're being trolled :P)

However, the modchip is probably real. WiiKey is a known team, they have no reason to lie about something like this. By the sound of it, they had to hack the Wii U in order to reverse engineer the drive communication but don't actually have a working product (or any backups loading) yet. So this could take a while and there may be unforeseen bumps in the road slowing down progress or even stopping it.

In my opinion, it's a bit early to celebrate. I'll see what further updates they post first :P

Anyway when this does get released, I'm assuming it'll let you dump ISOs onto the HDD as well as play them (what use is a modchip if there is no way to dump ISOs?)
So it won't be immediately useful for piracy, but once people with high upload speed get their hands on these they'll be uploading ISOs left and right.

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow so much negativity and crying in this thread, last time I checked this was a hacking community. In previous generations this news would be celebrated. It seems like a lot of you have forgotten what GBAtemp is about, kindly pack your fanboyism into a suitcase, leave and never post here again if this kind of news makes you shit in your diapers with rage.

Really? Hacking == Piracy?

GBATemp of old was a hacking community for homebrew NOT a piracy board. This is talking about piracy plain and simple...

looks like this is not the forum I joined and had so much fun behind .

Reactions: T Link7

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think that playing pirated games would ruin the system, sure it's wrong and illegal but that is the would be pirates own risk, having a program like Gecko would be a sad day (online hacking), on the other hand having pirated games could steer third party developers away :/ overall a bad idea
Illegal is actually a term used in law to mean various things and in some countries it can get very messy as to what offence or system of law using unlicensed software falls under.

Similarly a gecko aka a memory manipulation device might not immediately mean online hacking as there is plenty developers could do to prevent it (defensive coding is not a new practice and many modern programming languages also help here) and there is plenty Nintendo could have done at the hardware design level to prevent it (the 360 has fully encrypted memory for instance*).

*assuming the memory is not encrypted/signed or is encrypted/signed poorly and the memory chips are reasonably accessible then it is not inconceivable that you could make a cheat device tomorrow. It would probably take some master level soldering and a small fortune in hardware to pull it off but memory reading, analysis and manipulation is not an especially hard concept.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming this is real and not just some fake hype building, it'll be a shame to see it so early in the console's life, for reasons already mentioned. Besides that, I'd rather wait for fail0verflow's whatever to be released.

memorymod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Illegal is actually a term used in law to mean various things and in some countries it can get very messy as to what offence or system of law using unlicensed software falls under.

Similarly a gecko aka a memory manipulation device might not immediately mean online hacking as there is plenty developers could do to prevent it (defensive coding is not a new practice and many modern programming languages also help here) and there is plenty Nintendo could have done at the hardware design level to prevent it (the 360 has fully encrypted memory for instance*).

*assuming the memory is not encrypted/signed or is encrypted/signed poorly and the memory chips are reasonably accessible then it is not inconceivable that you could make a cheat device tomorrow. It would probably take some master level soldering and a small fortune in hardware to pull it off but memory reading, analysis and manipulation is not an especially hard concept.

and they say debating doesn't work

L_o_N_e_R

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If this is a chip how is soldering not required? Maybe it's not a chip?

There were some for the Wii, like this one
dxz.jpg

You just more or less put it on the chip and pressed down... No need to solder at all.

Hm now I wonder when this is gonna come out? I want to be able to leave my games at home while I'm in college so my brother can play them

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If this is a chip how is soldering not required? Maybe it's not a chip?
Most later Wii modchips you just unplugged the the wire from the drive and plugged it into the chip and then connected another wire between the chip and the drive. They may have needed a little solder for power cables (although there may be ways around that one, too) but the data cable just plugged in with no solder.

It could be a similar case for the Wii U's drive.

EDIT : ninja'd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu