emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's hope this modchip removes the region locking, I'm fed up of waiting for games to come out over here, games like pikmin 3, game and wario doesn't even have a release date for the uk yet; my wii u is just sitting there and Americans get get play all the good stuff, I don't see why that is fair and is the reason why I installed a modchip on my original wii.

Modchips are worse than the mafia y'know.

It's unpopular to state this opinion on here but without pirate capability I will not buy a WiiU. I could make excuses about the support here in South Korea being atrocious but instead I'm going to just state it out flat. A pirate-able system at least nets Nintendo console and hardware purchases. No pirate support, no purchase. So for all of the people concerned that this is going to hurt Nintendo's sales, as if they have stock in the company, just consider that for some people piracy moves hardware. Better some sales than none.
Not if they're selling at a loss...

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
Even selling at a loss it at least mitigates damages. And besides... they aren't. The hardware in a WiiU is dirt cheap. Nintendo doesn't operate like Sony.

Kyle Hyde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Even selling at a loss it at least mitigates damages. And besides... they aren't. The hardware in a WiiU is dirt cheap. Nintendo doesn't operate like Sony.
Nintendo (I don't remember which spokesperson) confirmed it themselves. They do sell it at a loss.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm certain that if I bought a console, a few controllers to play SmashU and a motion+ controller they'd make their money back.

Kyle Hyde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm certain that if I bought a console, a few controllers to play SmashU and a motion+ controller they'd make their money back.
Most WiiU customers already have most of the peripherals and currently the WiiU only supports one Gamepad which comes with the console. With a hack that plays backups, you won't even buy SmashU. That leaves Nintendo pretty desperate.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo makes the most money off games sales. To create new games they need this money. By pirating games they are not getting this money. If everyone were to buy one of these things and just pirate WiiU games, it will be forever known as the nogaems console that never got gaems either because of piracy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[in the hypothetical the wii U] will be forever known as the nogaems console that never got gaems either because of piracy.

And then Nintendo become a software and peripherals only company (in this scenario mobile phones/tablets will also make the 3ds untenable) and the world would have got better?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And then Nintendo become a software and peripherals only company (in this scenario mobile phones/tablets will also make the 3ds untenable) and the world would have got better?
Nah, they have enough money to keep going, but it would be a shame to see this console dying like that. I wouldn't want that to happen to any Sony or Microsoft console either (with the possible exception of always online + subscription). It's just a waste of everyone's time and money, and the console's potential.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, for ODE to work either,

* Nintendo didn't do unique drive encryption like the Wii (unlike PS3 & X360)
* Wii U's drive encryption key was broken or extracted
* Intercept data before or right after the encryption

I will be shocked if it is because of the first reason.

Reactions: Slimmmmmm

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, they have enough money to keep going, but it would be a shame to see this console dying like that. I wouldn't want that to happen to any Sony or Microsoft console either (with the possible exception of always online + subscription). It's just a waste of everyone's time and money, and the console's potential.

Dying enterprises have seen many people have money wasted and it will happen again. Of course this probably not the venue for the "should there be such a thing as separate consoles" discussion.

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think if the Wii U were to die as a console (god forbid) it would not be because of this new mod chip...It would've died (a long time ago) mainly because of the lack in developer support and not-up-to-par spec compared with PS4/NextBox...This modchip would just be like the last straw/final nail in the coffin.

Reactions: hhs

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly I think the suggestion that piracy will scare away 3rd party developers is a bunch of horse poo.

Pirates don't make up a big enough part of the market to considerably hurt the bottom line. Also it's been shown that pirates spend more on content than the average non-pirate.
Just because there are thousands of people downloading games from the internet, doesn't mean those people would have bought the games had they no option to pirate. Those people probably wouldn't have bought the console in the first place. Instead they bought the under-priced console and some over-priced controllers, and perhaps even spent some money on some games. They also are exposed to the advertisement and marketing that will no doubt be pumped through the Nintendo network.
Considering that the non-pirating market will probably remain the same size, there's no loss to the industry. The pirates will come, but they are essentially just an addition to the market not a subtraction.

Also it's worth noting that hard mods like this are not as simple to implement for many people. A softmod would bring USB loaders to anyone and everyone. Yes some people say it would be just used for region free and emulators, but it will make piracy much more accessible to the mass population compared to a hard mod. A soft mod would also bring cheaters. Nobody likes cheaters.

Reactions: chartube12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...