Rumor: Walmart dropping 3DS price early

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thesolcity said:
Looks like I'll be running to Costco then for prayers of the $169.99 3DS to be answered. :/ What is the tax rate in your state btw?

I'm in Canada.

QUOTE(DeMoN @ Aug 5 2011, 10:06 PM) I doubt they'll be allowed to do this since this would completely screw all the other retailers, and they'll complain to Nintendo and Nintendo will be in deeper trouble than they are now.

Uh a retailer can sell stuff at whatever the price they want. The price nintendo sends out or any other company is a recommended retail price. Retailers don't have to follow it.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, Toys-R-Us Canada is having a promotion to prevent people who bought it before the drop to not feel cheated. It came with OoT and your choice of one of 3 games (Steeldiver, Pilotwings or any version of Nintendogs+cats) for free, worth $80 if you were to buy them separately.
I'm still not getting one though, still waiting for the revision to hit in a year or two.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
smart asses Walmart for ppl to get in the ambassador program in time, nice commercial strategy and a win/win either way so why not.. maybe less for Nintendo again, lol it seem give a hand they take the arm situation with that other news about used 3DS busting

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some retailers price match policies forbid price matching when the item before the price drop contains bonus items or promotional items. Nintendo has already started giving rebates to retailers that had purchased the units in bulk, so maybe it wont be so much of a big deal. But good luck to you price matchers.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine that Nintendo would be very thrilled with this.

Still, if you really must have the 3DS, then this sounds like your best bet.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars said:
I can't imagine that Nintendo would be very thrilled with this.

Nintendo's not losing any money off of giving away free games, and Walmart still has to purchase the stock, so basically Walmart HQ is losing money here.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Nintendo will lose money when Target and other retailers stop stocking Nintendo's product after getting screwed by this.
How are they getting screwed? I read somewhere that Nintendo has given these retailers that purchase in bulk a rebate on what they purchased.

There is also this
As for retailers, Iwata admitted that the lower selling price meant retailer profit margins will also go down. While Iwata's company cannot do anything about this, he also believes that retailers will also see the benefits from the overall expansion of the 3DS' business. Iwata even claimed that one American retailer (he refused to name which one) was so pleased that they said "It's like Christmas has come early!"[/p]

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Nintendo will lose money when Target and other retailers stop stocking Nintendo's product after getting screwed by this.
Trust me, Walmart/Target/whatever will see huge profit in the games that are coming.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Hm, it's still listed as the normal price in walmart's site. I might check it out at the store tomorrow.

If I had the flyer from last week still, I'd show you.

QUOTE(Gahars @ Aug 6 2011, 11:37 AM) I can't imagine that Nintendo would be very thrilled with this.

How can Nintendo not be thrilled about this? Wal-Mart already bought the 3DS' from Nintendo, they can price it at whatever they want. Nintendo won't care as they already made their money from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is the one who's hurting themselves. Hell, if Wal-Mart wants to sell it for $75.00, they're allowed to, and Nintendo won't care as they've already been paid.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Nintendo's not losing any money off of giving away free gamesTo be fair there are bandwidth costs. Yes a VC game is likely to be just a few megs, but when you have a million people that want it at once...

QUOTE(gloweyjoey @ Aug 6 2011, 03:07 PM) Iwata even claimed that one American retailer (he refused to name which one) was so pleased that they said "It's like Christmas has come early!"[/p]
Yes, the price drop is going to cause more people to buy it that weren't going to buy it before.

Yes it's at a lower cost, but 5 people buying a $250 object doesn't transfer as much money as 10 people buying a $170 object.

And in addition the more people that have a system, the more people who buy games for the system.

I might check walmart tonight, I'm curious if it's hit the middle of nowhere here yet.

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is tempting, but I don't think I'll pick one up anytime soon, if at all.

I think I've out grown my former love of hand held gaming.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Considering they'll sell more 3DSs at $170 than at $250 (if at all), they would rather not wait and get it going sooner. In this instance, it would be whether you'd want the unit at $170 with those 20 games, or $170 without them. The former is obviously the better choice, and it would be only for a limited time. This will generate a lot of hype, and even a rush to get one.

Of course in the end, it will affect Nintendo because they were going for an "either or" decision for consumers, not both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol