[Rumor] Wall Street Journal claims Nintendo will release both an enhanced and budget model Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 25, 2019.

1. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I would also like that but only as a new generation system. I wouldn't want to see them release that now but more in 3-4 years time as a newer generation. A more power efficient switch that scales a bit better while still having the option to run the games on the older hardware is something i want for this generation since that wouldn't split up the consumer base and kick a lot of people in the nuts. I do get that not everyone would feel scammed if they did that but a lot of them would do. In the end it's their own fault for being behind in graphical power. Graphics and such are important and that has been a thing Nintendo fans have been telling them since the Wii days and they fail to listen every single time. So if they do feel that they're behind well it's because they didn't listen to their fans to begin with

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ignore

Last edited by kumikochan, Mar 25, 2019
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I hope not, doesn't need any revisions at all. It's fine the way it is, only those who hate the Switch really want to see this happen.

3. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    So a person who would buy a Switch revision hates the Switch? I'm not sure how that works. ;)

4. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No, but people who buy a revision are obviously dissatisfied with the current Switch, and clearly thinks that somehow a revision will make the experience magically more enjoyable.

5. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    There is no competition for the switch, there is no other portable like it, not even good gaming tablets that can play console level games. If you are talking about the sony and microsoft competetion, well, a ps4 or xbox are actually waaaaay cheaper than a switch, even their controllers are cheaper and are higher quality compared to those tiny joycons garbage.

A switch with better perfomance would actually make the experience better. It is not always about the form factor, but the perfomance of the games it plays do affect the experience.

Last edited by DeslotlCL, Mar 25, 2019
  6. pitterpatter

pitterpatter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    You forgot the "New" 3DS XL: ReCoded 358/2 Final Mix

Last edited by pitterpatter, Mar 25, 2019
    Stwert likes this.
  7. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    I quite like my 32X....... for the handful of half decent games it’s got.

They could easily release a more powerful Switch without really impacting the current model. Most games these days can/are designed to be scalable. So games will be released just as they always have, but a new more powerful piece of hardware could have higher resolution, better frame rates, higher quality textures and so on.

If you’re happy with the Switch as it is now, nothing would change for you. If you’d like a bit mor oomph, you get the higher specced system.

8. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    i do miss the name of consoles with the numbers at the end what happened to the 128 and 256 :lol: did buy the 32x as big golf fan and got my moneys worth of 180 quid spent on it as put in huge hours on tht fred couples golf game

9. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And good luck finding a way to increase performance without increasing thermals and decreasing battery life.

10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    well they can just release a switch with cpu set at like 1.5 and gpu abit higher an a better battery and still use the same hardware and call it switch-I ir whatever and they wouldnt need to change anything due to switch being under-clocked becuase of battery life.

n3dsx xl made gaming way more enjoyable for me, not for the enhanced games but bigger screen and battery life, heck a switch with unremovable joycons, a bigger battery life(5hour minimum imo) and such would be a great budget model like the 2ds all built for portable only mode, i would buy that tbh.

11. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

GBAtemp Patron
    Dr.Hacknik is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    inside your fridge
    I've personally had no issues with the joycons. Yes they're expensive, but it makes sense they're very compacted controllers. To be fair, the Xbox one and PS4 have been here for a long time. Of course their value is way cheaper. That's basic economics. Now you can go and dislike the Switch all you want, but you're starting to come off as the type of person to shit on a console for dumb reasons.

12. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    I'm not dissatisfied because I don't own a Switch. But yes, an even mildly beefed up revision would in fact make the experience more enjoyable. I think the only people who would actually not like this are those that already own a Switch, not those that "hate" the Switch. If a person is already dissatisfied with or already hates the Switch, a revision would not make them buy one. I LIKE the Switch, hence why I've been waiting to see if there will in fact be a revision this year before I decide to buy one. Nothing to do with dissatisfaction with the current model. It's just being smart. Why buy the current when there might be a better model coming?

Not only did they forget that, but also Sega's entire console lineup. Lmao.

I never said anything negative about the 32X. :)

13. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Havnt they been saying this for a long time now? I guess they will be right at some point but until official announcements I just ignore them.

14. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Pretty much this. I'm holding off to see if there's any announcement. If there's nothing official by November I'll just buy the current model. If a revision comes out later...oh well.

15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'd love to see them trying to beef up the processor while keeping temps down and battery life more than it is right now. Dollars to donuts it'll be a cold day in hell.

16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    a 5 hour battery switch with higher clock speed would already be a pro model and all they need is to make the back abit bigger to put a bigger battery and lock the cpu a bit higher and cheap new model for them xl.

17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And that would increase price too. People bitch enough as it is with the 300 dollar price tag.

18. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    they could probably lower the switch base model to like 250 and make the "new2 one release at 300 imo.

19. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    IDK, I don't think it's worth doing, Switch is doing well as it is, I fail to see the necessity of a new model.

20. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    No, but they alienated people who supported their platforms before they were even dead.

I don't hate the Switch. I'd like a cheaper variant without the features I don't care as much about, though. You can't lump everyone into one group like that realistically. Similarly to how you're reacting to this, I thought the 2DS was silly at first, but it found its niche and turned out to be alright in the end.

Last edited by Sophie-bear, Mar 25, 2019
  21. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    revisions is when the console is selling well, not when its dropping so they can sell even more like n3dsxl,2ds,dsi and so on, but yeah i would get a more powerful switch or a budget model for portability only with fixed joycons and better battery imo, i only play switch in handheld mode so that would be ideal to me.