[Rumor] Wall Street Journal claims Nintendo will release both an enhanced and budget model Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Thing is, phones and tablets markets are brutal, can't really nurture a new series without sacrificing their design catered to phones. Can't really grow, and Indies need a healthy platform to grow.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They had already released mario party bundles with joycons, just need a little more disclaimer for related games on retailers.

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    If true, I wonder if the extra power will be preserved for Dock mode only.

Xzi likes this.
  3. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    Now that Switch combined both handheld and console, I'm pretty sure they will now sell a console and handheld version independently. A lot of games for switch use dynamic resolution scaling so they would require no patches to just work. Kind of hyped for this, but because the Switch isn't that powerful to begin with I don't expect anything too drastic like 4k.

4. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    I don't see what they could remove from the system to make it more affordable, besides the NFC reader.

To make it more expensive, sure... A higher resolution screen, with a better battery life and some better cooling and you have a pro system.

For one, I'd like an ethernet port, thanks.

5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    The current cooling works fine tho

6. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    A box version seems so DoA in Japan which makes me skeptical. But selling the new Switch "solution" as separate dedicated handheld and dedicated box that sync together effectively would be some tempting dosh for Nintendo I'm sure. Although we also have to be skeptical whether Nintendo can even figure that out.

7. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    If the budget model doesn't connect to the TV or maybe even if it does, they can use a weaker chip altogether.

8. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    I think better for Nintendo is to release games not only the upgraded model with better specs... but when they will be releasing switch with more disk space why not... since module is connected not soldered to pcb.

9. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2009
    United States
    I already have 2 switches. One hacked and one for online. So im good. However i don't mind trading in my og switch for a new one that has more harddrive space.

But this is very plausible. Especially with pokemon coming out this year. Also a "weaker" one that doesn't connect to the tv is basically just a 3ds replacement which makes sense at this point.

As long as there wont be any "new switch" exclusives i'm fine with the ones i have.

Last edited by phillyrider807, Mar 26, 2019
  10. Hielkenator2

Hielkenator2 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2017
    Albania
    You really should follow Digital Foundry, You are right but 720p 60 hz is clearly "mastered" by Nintendo themselves.
    Dynamic res is something like a godsens for dev porting their stuff with High end visuals in mind. It happens even on Xbox one X but alas , far less in this 4K gen. With only 8Watts in power the Switch kicks Butt! I am not talking handheld . The list you provided speaks for itself. only 1 or 2 games under 720p.

Last edited by Hielkenator2, Mar 26, 2019
  11. eyeliner

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    If they upgrade the screen to allow 1080p, it won't.

12. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Wat

The display doesn’t generate very much heat, and I don’t think they’d use a 1080p screen

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, Mar 26, 2019
  13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    What only 1 or 2 ? I fucking just listed you a whole bunch of games ! Ugh fanboyism

14. eyeliner

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    If the new revision supports 1080p undocked, you can surely use it as a foot warmer.
    Unless, of course the cooling gets upgraded.
    Either way, I'm good with what we have now.

15. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    If they upgraded the display they'd probably also use a GPU that's more modern and power efficient (and more powerful ofc)

16. eyeliner

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Surely.
    You are right.
    I desire much intercourse throughout thy life.
    I believe we are in agreement on most accounts.

ZachyCatGames likes this.
  17. MagnesG

MagnesG GBAtemp Lurker

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    What about battery life though? That’s a problem for lots of people comparing Switch to previous handhelds.

18. nathone

nathone Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2019
    United Kingdom
    A switch with double the battery life, slightly smaller screen, no removable joycons, more battery space, that would be awesome, but thinking about it it would be like the Vita, where some games wouldn't work as they need undocked joycons.
    Although I guess nothing stopping you from pairing joycons anyway.

19. Cacacea

Cacacea Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2014
    Bulgaria
    maybe a switch witch water cooling:D

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    No way.

It would have to be a self contained/sealed one, and most of those are nowhere near reliable enough to deploy en masse like that for things people are going to drop all the time.

emuashui likes this.