[Rumor] Wall Street Journal claims Nintendo will release both an enhanced and budget model Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Mar 25, 2019.

Front-page
    Switch-WSJ_10-04-18.

The Wall Street Journal is back to reporting Nintendo Switch rumors once more, following up on their October 2018 claim that Nintendo would be releasing a new hardware revision of the Switch in 2019. Originally, they stated that the Switch would focus on peripheral additions similar to Labo, rather than new hardware, before changing their initial stance to state that a "better" Switch revision was on the way, and would focus on upgraded hardware. This time around, their claim has a few more details--now mentioning two potential variations: a cheaper model which would replace the Nintendo 3DS as the budget option, and an enhanced model, which would be "targeted at avid video gamers".

This conflicts with previous recent statements from both the Nintendo JP president Shuntaro Furukawa and the soon to be former president of Nintendo of America, Reggie Fils-Aime, who separately debunked new hardware rumors by saying "[it] is not Nintendo's current focus".

The Wall Street Journal further asserts that these two supposed hardware revisions would be "different from the original, and you would be surprised," with both versions launching as early as Summer 2019. According to the WSJ's insider sources, hardware prototypes have already been sent to software developers, who say that the "upgraded" Switch model won't be as strong as the Xbox One X or PlayStation 4 Pro.

What are your thoughts? Do you find the Wall Street Journal to be reliable, or have other rumors of new Switch hardware got you convinced? Are you more skeptical, after already hearing the WSJ's initial story, or do you believe that there's no room for doubt after so many claims of a revised Switch model have been circulating across the internet? With sales of the Nintendo 3DS slowing down, and the company having just barely missed the mark on its 20 million sales fiscal year projection, a new "pro" and "budget" model could be just what they need to get more sales rolling.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (220 replies)
  1. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    It's happning!

x65943 likes this.
  2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Neither, but it's what happened with the DS and the DSi and the 2/3DS so it's plausible.

xalphax, Karones, MrMcTiller and 4 others like this.
  3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I can't wait for the New Switch XL Color SP Plus & Knuckles.

4. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    I wonder how much performance/graphical difference will be there..

MrMcTiller, KlariNoX and CoolStarDood like this.
  5. Frexxos

Frexxos GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2015
    Germany
    Cant wait for titles like “only available for Switch XL-i Models with advanced Joycon Motion Plus Deluxe“

Hope my hacked switch will run everything they will release. And I hope far more the new models are hackable...

I think there is no need for other models...

xalphax, Karones, KlariNoX and 9 others like this.
  6. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Mayb anyone who bought the original switch and can send in proof by receipt nintendo could offer a 25 percent discount on the new model

KlariNoX, Tilde88 and CoolStarDood like this.
  7. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    It makes more sense for a revision because of the tegra vulnerability. No ones figured out how to xploit the switch models after july 2018 yet.

Last edited by proffk, Mar 25, 2019
  8. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Hopefully they don’t release any games only for the strong model.

Karones, MrMcTiller, KlariNoX and 7 others like this.
  9. Sodapopcan

Sodapopcan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    United States
    I'm surprised that everyone here is worrying about games just for the plus model, All of you here know that the switch changes graphic fidelity on the fly depending on cpu speed. we all know this because of the overclock mod making games look way better. its probably going to just allow the games to self adjust to a better looking version and i'm guessing the economy switch is just going to be a standard switch with a cheaper dock and some missing components like hd rumble. makes much more sense now that the hardware is cheaper to produce now.

Erol, 0000ff and CoolStarDood like this.
  10. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    I don't think they would release a more inexpensive version and a new probably faster one at the same time and then allow exclusives. I'm pretty sure if there will be a New/Deluxe/Pro version and a more inexpensive one then they will limited it to FPS and resolution differences. Sony and MS paved the way and Nintendo already failed twice with the exclusive thing since for both New 3DS and DSi there where almost no exclusives (I think the GBC was planned as a all new handheld which can play old games as well at the beginning and MotionPlus WiiRemotes are only controllers where they even had a upgrade thing for old WiiRemotes).

Frexxos and CoolStarDood like this.
  11. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    I don't think anyone in the world was expecting to even be as strong as the original PS4 or Xbox One

Karones, Erol, KlariNoX and 6 others like this.
  12. rich333

rich333 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2009
    if true my guess is...
    the budget model will be current version but without dock.
    pro version will be upgraded to provide higher res & fps, games would would be the same apart from this for compatibility so cart could be used on all versions

CoolStarDood likes this.
  13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    If Nintendo does that (exclusive games for the enhanced version ) it will shoot themselves in the foot and loose a shit ton of customers. We all know why Sega in the end failed

Last edited by kumikochan, Mar 25, 2019
    DeoNaught and x65943 like this.
  14. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    yeah, great.

sounds like someone at the WSJ is getting paid to make up rumors that'd lower nintendos sales, doesn't it?

seriously, they did it to sabotage the christmas sales, now they do easter.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Mar 25, 2019
    RedBlueGreen likes this.
  15. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not sure I do believe this, what would a more powerful Switch even look like in terms of chipset? Or would they just make it larger with a better cooling solution so they can increase the clock to normal speed?

CoolStarDood and 0000ff like this.
  16. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I hear this kind of news like every 2 weeks. It is getting repetitive.
    Also, it's WSJ so...

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Mar 25, 2019
  17. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I imagine they learned their lessons with DSI exclusives right?

18. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Nintendo finally mastered 720p60 output?

Karones, MrMcTiller, isoboy and 2 others like this.
  19. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    A hardware revision from Nintendo? I’m calling bullcrap on this, there’s absolutely no precedent for this kind of thing from Nintendo whatsoever.

Well, unless you count the NES-101, SNS-101, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy Micro, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS XL, 2DS, 2DS XL, New 3DS.....

But other than that, no precedent whatsoever, it’s totally not the kind of thing Nintendo is known for.

Last edited by Stwert, Mar 25, 2019
    coppertj, Karones, MUDD_BR and 11 others like this.