RUMOR: Vita's memory card required games require several GB each.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.gamestop....mory-card/98469

Take a look at the bottom:
  • Provide storage for up to*:
  • 1 - 2 full PS Vita games

*Or any combination of the above media. Calculations based on 1.75GB - 3.5GB average for full PS Vita games,.....
Sony has already stated that some games will require them in order to run, but have not stated about how much space they'd take up. It sounds very clear to me that you essentially have to install the full game onto the memory card for the games that require them. This.... would be TERRIBLE news if true, since the memory cards are so expensive.

EDIT: It could be referring to an "install required" game. If the PS3 can require 6GB+ to install a game (Skyrim, I.E.), then the Vita could certainly require 1GB+ to install an "install required" game.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calculations based on 1.75GB - 3.5GB average for full PS Vita games

>full Vita games.

That's the space you'll be needing if you're downloading a full Vita game like Uncharted or something. That's not the average for data installs on retail games you buy.

Reactions: 1 person

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calculations based on 1.75GB - 3.5GB average for full PS Vita games

>full Vita games.

That's the space you'll be needing if you're downloading a full Vita game like Uncharted or something. That's not the average for data installs on retail games you buy.

I hope you're right, but it's unknown, hence why I added "RUMOR" to the title. Gamestop calls the non-digital games "full Vita Games" as well, which is what the problem could be. I found it suspicious that sony never said average space the "required" memory card games will take up, but this would explain why if the rumor's true.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait this can't be true, I hope not. Do you know how many people will sue Sony for downloading a game that sucks to begin with and can't get their money back? It will be 2011 all over again and this time it will cause some mayhem to begin with.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you're right, but it's unknown, hence why I added "RUMOR" to the title. Gamestop calls the non-digital games "full Vita Games" as well, which is what the problem could be. I found it suspicious that sony never said average space the "required" memory card games will take up, but this would explain why if the rumor's true.

I'm pretty positive that I'm correct. Not that I'm overconfident, it just clearly comes off that by "full Vita games" they mean an entire Vita game on the cart, like something you'd purchase online.

EDIT: I'll flag down another mod and see their opinion. This comes off as highly misleading to me. Last thing we want is a red herring so people can hate senselessly.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Assuming this is literally for a "full game," I don't really get why anybody would be DL'ing Vita games to begin with. Compared to UMDs, those cartridges shouldn't take as much (physical) space, and load times should be much faster; the gaming experience shouldn't be much different than having it inside the ms. Not to mention how much space they take in the ms (1.75-3.5gb is f*cking huge). It's a bummer, though, that we don't get to play our psp UMDs on the Vita, and instead, we are required to pay a certain amount to get them on the memory card (which takes up space, something Vita owners don't want to do with the Vita mem cards being so pricy...)

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming this is literally for a "full game," I don't really get why anybody would be DL'ing Vita games to begin with. Compared to UMDs, those cartridges shouldn't take as much (physical) space, and load times should be much faster; the gaming experience shouldn't be much different than having it inside the ms. Not to mention how much space they take in the ms (1.75-3.5gb is f*cking huge). It's a bummer, though, that we don't get to play our psp UMDs on the Vita, and instead, we are required to pay a certain amount to get them on the memory card (which takes up space, something Vita owners don't want to do with the Vita mem cards being so pricy...)

Wait if this Sony's answer to fighting piracy, they are going way over the top with this technique. What happens if you can't download the full retail of the game? What happen if it just 'stops' and you're like 40% complete? If Sony already has some knowledge about DL'ing then they should be less strict of the times your download stopped by mistake and able to resume your previous DL without any hiccups nor bad 'file' transfer when you attempt to play the game. They should do demos, like a 10-15 minute demo of the game before you purchase it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Apparently downloaded titles will be a bit cheaper than physical ones and there's always a few benefits to having digital copies. You don't have to worry about losing, breaking, or having the game card stolen, consolidation of purchases (you can carry around 5 Vita games on a memory card instead of carrying around 5 game cards), instant access (you don't have to waste time driving to a store or worrying about shortages, you can just download the game) and if they actually give a shit about promoting online services, they'd start offering somewhat regular sales and deals. Plus I'd think stuff like cloud saving (if that's even supported on the Vita, I don't know) would require games to be on a memory card or require the memory card anyway.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it could refer to an "install required" game. If the PS3 can require 6GB+ to install a game (Skyrim, I.E.), then the Vita could certainly require 1GB+ to install an "install required" game.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also, it could refer to the required "install size". If the PS3 can require 6GB+ to install a game (Skyrim, I.E.), then the Vita could certainly require 1GB+ to install.
I don't think Install will be necessary since the games aren't being run off of a disc like PS3 and PSP. Install was necessary for games that had extremely long load times unless they were installed, but games played off of the PS Vita cards should be able to load just fine without an install.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Apparently downloaded titles will be a bit cheaper than physical ones and there's always a few benefits to having digital copies. You don't have to worry about losing, breaking, or having the game card stolen, consolidation of purchases (you can carry around 5 Vita games on a memory card instead of carrying around 5 game cards), instant access (you don't have to waste time driving to a store or worrying about shortages, you can just download the game) and if they actually give a shit about promoting online services, they'd start offering somewhat regular sales and deals. Plus I'd think stuff like cloud saving (if that's even supported on the Vita, I don't know) would require games to be on a memory card or require the memory card anyway.
Yeah, true, a lot of negativity in physical copies too. But I still don't think that having a 16-32gb ($70~$120) + waiting for long DL time would make it any better than having to carry a load of Vita game cards + a 4-8gb ($30~$50). You can also sell physical copies, as opposed to digital copies.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, it could refer to the required "install size". If the PS3 can require 6GB+ to install a game (Skyrim, I.E.), then the Vita could certainly require 1GB+ to install.
I don't think Install will be necessary since the games aren't being run off of a disc like PS3 and PSP. Install was necessary for games that had extremely long load times unless they were installed, but games played off of the PS Vita cards should be able to load just fine without an install.
I think this was probably the reason why Sony switched over to cards instead of the usual disc media. I hope that this is true and that we no longer need to download data installs.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, true, a lot of negativity in physical copies too. But I still don't think that having a 16-32gb ($70~$120) + waiting for long DL time would make it any better than having to carry a load of Vita game cards + a 4-8gb ($30~$50). You can also sell physical copies, as opposed to digital copies.

I wouldn't see downloads as being that long. If they have proper support you'll probably find yourself with pretty decent download speeds as long as your connection is good. I'd think it can download in the background so you can do other things on the system while it downloads as well or you could just transfer it to your Vita from your PS3 or MediaGo (or whatever software they put out for the PC).

And the last thing Sony (or any dev of physical games, for that matter) want to consider is how to increase the circulation of used sales.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country

I wouldn't see downloads as being that long. If they have proper support you'll probably find yourself with pretty decent download speeds as long as your connection is good. I'd think it can download in the background so you can do other things on the system while it downloads as well or you could just transfer it to your Vita from your PS3 or MediaGo (or whatever software they put out for the PC).

And the last thing Sony (or any dev of physical games, for that matter) want to consider is how to increase the circulation of used sales.

Well Sony might do that if they want to do resale value, Also they will only mean your problem of not getting the real of the digital copy of that game is a 'bad' file transfer or it's a brick.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I'll flag down another mod and see their opinion. This comes off as highly misleading to me. Last thing we want is a red herring so people can hate senselessly.

You should know me by now, I don't post things to intentionally be misleading nor false. I cannot say that I think closing/removing this thread just because another mod thinks it's false is a good idea (unless said other mod works for Sony), just in case it does end up being true. However, if Sony in any direct or indirect way proves this thread is false, then I fully support removing/deleting/closing/whatevering this thread.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should know me by now, I don't post things to intentionally be misleading nor false. I cannot say that I think closing/removing this thread just because another mod thinks it's false is a good idea (unless said other mod works for Sony), just in case it does end up being true. However, if Sony in any direct or indirect way proves this thread is false, then I fully support removing/deleting/closing/whatevering this thread.

I didn't mean to say that you're misleading or false, it just seems like the thread could give some people the wrong idea. I don't think you did it intentionally of course.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

I guess it all falls down to personal preference/capability, then.

If you have a decent connection, and you'd rather carry a bunch of games at once, digital media would do. And if you're confident that you're going to be buying a load of digital games to equate the price of the 16-32gb mem cards.

If you don't have that great of a connection, and you're fine with carrying one game at a time (or just play the Vita at home), getting physical copies would do. I guess I'd qualify on this side. I really like having the boxes/manuals for hard copies. :D

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Wait, the PSVita supposedly uses cartridge media now, right? But, if this rumor is true, it would also need to be installed? Why is that? Sony using cheap media for game cartridges that they can't use it to play off of it in real-time? Or would the memory cards be faster/easier to access?

I is confuzzled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)