Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
StarWarsBattlefrontIII_feature.jpg

It’s been over six years since the release of the critically acclaimed Star Wars: Battlefront II, but eager gamers still haven’t seen a third game in the series. Luckily, we’ve uncovered new information that points towards the current developer of the game, and when it will release.

Developer Spark Unlimited were previously rumored to be working on Battlefront III – but at the time there was virtually no evidence to back up the assertion. All people had to go on was the fact that the developer’s Twitter wouldn’t deny (or confirm) that it was their project, and the fact that their site said “We are in production on an unannounced high-profile, popular game sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release.”

Now, however, new info seems to back up the original rumor with a lot more evidence. A job listing states (emphasis added):

Spark is looking for a senior combat designer for a 3rd Person Action/Adventure sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise currently greenlit for full production development for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC markets.

Of course, the Call of Duty: Finest Hour developer could be working on a different science fiction franchise – not that there are that many that aren’t already signed to a developer. But then there’s the LinkedIn profile for John Lawrie, who used to be Senior Software Engineer for Spark Unlimited, which lists under his work for the developer:

Unannounced third person sword fighting game (well known IP, Xbox 360, PS3)

And what is the most famous sci-fi sword? The lightsaber of course. And before you wonder, another developer’s LinkedIn confirms it is a shooter as well:

I have been working for three years in a AAA third person shooter using Unreal Engine and Kynapse AI middleware.

It’s pretty hard to think of any other high profile sci-fi franchises that have already been games, are third person, and involve shooting and swordplay – so this all suggests BFIII. But there have been some suggestions that Spark Unlimited is working on a Star Wars game that isn’t a sequel – something that seems unlikely when you look at a recent tweet from the developer (emphasis added):

Since we are working on a sequel for a well known sci-fi franchise, all aspects must remain secret.

With all these signs pointing towards Battlefront III, you probably want to know when you can get your hands on the game. According to the current Senior Engineer at Spark Unlimited’s LinkedIn:

• Currently – New unannounced project! (~2012 release)

:arrow:Source

Please be true Please be true Please be true

Reactions: 4 people

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Which console is Battlefront 2 more enjoyable on? I'm guessing Xbox 360 but I don't have one and never plan to buy one. I have PC, PSP and PS2.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha all they have to do is buy a license from DICE, have them use the Frostbite2 engine and skin the soldiers and maps to look like Star Wars. Done.

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT PLAY WITH MY F*****G HEART!!

My brother and I played BF2 for hours at a time. I was heartbroken when I found out the 3rd one was cancelled.

Instant buy if this is true.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT PLAY WITH MY F*****G HEART!!

My brother and I played BF2 for hours at a time. I was heartbroken when I found out the 3rd one was cancelled.

Instant buy if this is true.

QFT. I will buy this and maybe even get Live just for this game. Hell even if it is on the 3DS I'll buy that too. Controls might be awkward though. I'm hoping for some new game modes.

OJClock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this better be true, if i recall there was a leaked gameplay video before this was canned.. it was just so grand

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still remember shooting the engines of the huge starships in BF II, oh how amazed I was at the brillant idealogy that was "if they have no from of movement, they can not go anywhere".

I can't imagine playing Battlefront 3 online, espcially starfights (spaceships) it would be incredibly fun and complex

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Please, make this happen.

It never ceases to amaze me that Lucasarts essentially abandoned such a great franchise in its prime.

Reactions: 1 person

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as much as i would love to see battlefront 3 happen, why do i get the nagging feeling it will be the force unleashed 3 when i read about the swordsplay...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as much as i would love to see battlefront 3 happen, why do i get the nagging feeling it will be the force unleashed 3 when i read about the swordsplay...

I don't remember Force Unleashed 2 doing too well. Pretty mediocre reviews and I don't know about sales.

Battlefront III is the game literally every fan has been requesting, exception being maybe a proper KOTOR sequel (since KOTOR II was by a different team and was unfinished and TOR is a MMO). I don't really see why anyone liked TFU. It was basically just a mediocre God of War rip off. The plot was incredibly shoehorned in just so you could be like "OMG DARTH VADAR". I mean don't you think the Rebel Alliance would at least once bring up that essentially their founding father was a rogue Sith with super Force powers? And seriously, once you take down A FUCKING STAR DESTROYER, I seriously doubt there are limitations to your powers. Like if the Emperor or Vadar were stronger than you somehow (since they both live through your attack anyway), you'd think crushing the Rebel Alliance would be a lot easier than you think. Who needs a fucking Death Star when you can just crash the goddamn moon into a planet like Majora's Mask?

Don't even get me started on the second one. Why would Vadar clone someone who almost killed him and ruined his empire? I mean it's not like a few guards died or something, he started eventually the downfall of the empire, almost killed you, and nearly brought down your master as well. I know you want a powerful weapon but that's what a Death Star is for. Hell Vadar, you're pretty goddamn powerful, do your own dirty work.

The gameplay is basically just some pretty generic God of War hack and slash except you can ragdoll some Stormtroopers. Which isn't fun at all considering there's no real empowerment from it. Maybe if the Kinect was around at the time and you could do some swish of your hand to knock a horde of Stormtroopers into a wall then it'd feel real satisfying in that God of War type of way, otherwise it's just garbage. And no, the Wii controls weren't satisfactory.

But that's my Force Unleashed rant. I don't think anyone wants it more than Battlefront III. I mean the game would sell well, I can guarantee that. Hell, look at it this way. Games with single player only (like TFU) are higher targets for piracy or the used market. You can either pirate a single player game with no issues (unlike multiplayer games which usually have issues with their online), you can buy it new, beat it in a weekend, and sell it to pollute the used market, or buy it used for little cost since it's just cheap single player. Battlefront III will stay with many people due to its long lasting appeal and you can always throw cheap DLC at us. Why bother with developing stories and side arcs for single player when you can build a few maps and sell us map packs? And it'd be hella popular, Battlefront II was the second most played original Xbox game before it was eventually discontinued, second only to Halo 2 (which is fucking Halo).

I mean you've already scarred us with re-releasing Episode I, murdering Star Wars Kinect, and essentially pumping out mediocre to bad Star Wars games this entire generation (exception being TOR, which I heard is alright), don't burn us again.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?