[RUMOR] Several Wii U dev kits returned to Nintendo

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rumor has it 10 or so developers have returned their Wii U dev kits. As posted a few days ago Avalanche Studios (Just Cause series, and one of the devs returning the hardware.) said their dev kits were gathering dust. This was apparently due to no idea on how to use the hardware, no ideas, and little to no contact from Nintendo. Avalanche Studios believes the Wii U is a "cool" idea but not a step in the right direction for their company. However this seems to be the main issue with a lot of 3rd party devs, and could be the reason for the. Excuse me.

Hazing no gamez

timthumb.php

The other devs that returned their kits (If there are any.) have yet to come forth.

:arrow: Source

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably not true, it's not a logical chioce to return it when you can just have it sitting there in case it becomes useful in the future. A rumor about 10 unknown devs from an unknown source? Yeah right.
And we already covered Avalanche's decision in the previous thread, not being able to contact them is a straight up lie as proven by other devs, even indies. The reason they won't develop Wii U games is that it doesn't make sense financially.
Why invent excuses? Well, if they were to say the truth people would see them as the bad guy instead of Nintendo. Truth is that Avalanche is right in not developing Wii U software, sales won't pick up thanks to third party ports. This is pretty much BS, devs are most likely sitting there waiting and letting the kits gather dust in case things turn around.

Getting rid of the devkits would be a nice move though, Nintendo would certainly see the whole "3rd party support" scenario as something a lot more serious if that was the case.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not true, it's not a logical chioce to return it when you can just have it sitting there in case it becomes useful in the future. A rumor about 10 unknown devs from an unknown source? Yeah right.
And we already covered Avalanche's decision in the previous thread, not being able to contact them is a straight up lie as proven by other devs, even indies. The reason they won't develop Wii U games is that it doesn't make sense financially.
Why invent excuses? Well, if they were to say the truth people would see them as the bad guy instead of Nintendo. Truth is that Avalanche is right in not developing Wii U software, sales won't pick up thanks to third party ports.
This is pretty much BS, devs are most likely sitting there waiting letting the kits gather dust in case things turn around.

Getting rid of the devkits would be a nice move though, Nintendo would certainly see the whole "3rd party support" scenario as something a lot more serious if that was the case.

I agree with you on a few points. My thing to chime is that we don't know the nature of the dev kits. Nintendo could say "Hey, we'll give these dev kits out to you but we expect at least [insert content here] within a time frame of blank." While the 10 devs seems a bit off, as a rumor that's really a milestone.

Don't know why people would get antsy about Wii U threads in the USN. If there was good news about the Wii U it'd be posted. In other words don't shoot the messenger.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with you on a few points. My thing to chime is that we don't know the nature of the dev kits. Nintendo could say "Hey, we'll give these dev kits out to you but we expect at least [insert content here] within a time frame of blank." While the 10 devs seems a bit off, as a rumor that's really a milestone.

Don't know why people would get antsy about Wii U threads in the USN. If there was good news about the Wii U it'd be posted. In other words don't shoot the messenger.
We can't see the whole picture true, but it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to implement such a rule. Nintendo don't win anything by taking the devkits back, they probably have a pretty good view on the situation and are going to do what it takes to sell the system sooner or later. As a developer, if the audience grows then porting your game will be worth it. I don't buy the whole "sending them back" story, it's too convenient to come out right after a big wave of negative news.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had a mental image of Iwata opening a package and seeing all the wii u's with a sticky note on it,"No thanks."
And then looking at the games they are about to release then he, "laughs."

Seriously, Nintendo about to bring their big guns out, it doesn't really seem like a good time to return. If they are returning that is.

Reactions: Arm73

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo haven't even tried yet, we've only had excuses from them for not releasing their games. We should at least let them give it a shot before we start screaming ninntendoooomed.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo haven't even tried yet, we've only had excuses from them for not releasing their games. We should at least let them give it a shot before we start screaming ninntendoooomed.

Nobody actually believes the Wii U is doomed. Nobody in their right mind anyway. It hasn't even been out for a full year yet.

Reactions: KingVamp

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A little late for that, aren't we? People have been bitching and moaning about Nintendo falling into oblivion since day one, without any substantial evidence.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not that unheard of, I'd imagine everyone has a return policy in one way or another. Just like you can return products you don't want. Not that they're bad, they just may not be for you.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do Nintendo actually charge ongoing license fees? Initial costs/extra units sure*, percentages of a game/straight publishing fee but of course but ongoing seems a bit strong.

*here and on various flash cart forums we have had various devs looking to purchase flash carts for their devs/testers on several occasions over the years.

Re Selling them on. I know most were in jest but to get them they probably have to sign rather large contracts to say they will not and despite the resounding meh given to Nintendo's recent efforts I would still actively avoid being blacklisted by them.

D

Deleted_171835

The source of this is some random website, Dashhacks that conveniently specializes in Wii U news and doesn't seem to be very popular. This is probably BS.

Reactions: Wizerzak

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nobody actually believes the Wii U is doomed. Nobody in their right mind anyway. It hasn't even been out for a full year yet.

You'd be surprised. Hell people have said that Nintendo is in serious trouble (keep in mind, they said the exact same things about the 3DS and that it won't be able to compete with the Vita [which said the same thing about the DS not being able to compete with the PSP], and lo and behold, the vita is a piece of a garbage right now sitting on shelves). Saying that Nintendo has to go out of the hardware business, has to go third party support only, make games for Sony and Microsoft's consoles and all this other shit. And Adam Sessler said it best "If that happens to Nintendo, then the game industry is in serious trouble".

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the coming months when the WiiU starts selling left right and center and they become impossible to find. And then everybody starts praising the WiiU (like they are with the 3DS) and games come out so fast that they can't sell right away because people have no money left because they bought the other games. And then everybody on this site and every other site will start saying "Nobody expected the WiiU to fail", "Everybody knew it was going to succeed" , "It was obvious that it was going to sell" and all this other stuff while completely forgetting that everybody bashed it and Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol