OP
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
pokemonswitch-1280-1-1493139643759_1280w.jpg

As alluded to in Nintendo's E3 2017 Showcase, a main-series Pokémon is coming to Nintendo Switch. Following a previous interview with Pokémon designer Junichi Masuda in which he warned fans to "not get their expectations up too high" about an upcoming Switch Pokémon game, it seems Game Freak might be taking a radical new direction with Pokémon's next big generational leap.

According to the Easy Allies gaming podcast, reputable sources have indicated that Game Freak, after observing the overwhelming reaction to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, feels comfortable in greatly innovating on their next title, aiming to create a game as "disruptive" as Nintendo's two 2017 hits. As this is a rumor, treat it like you would a treasure chest in Dark Souls and understand that none of this is officially confirmed. We also do not know who or what the source Easy Allies cited is. However, such a proposition is not entirely out of the picture, given the incredible success that Breath of the Wild and Odyssey had. Game Freak has stayed mostly complacent with Pokemon's formula throughout the series' 20+ year run, only slightly deviating with last year's Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Given that Pokemon games were always relatively successful on Nintendo's handheld systems, there has been no real need to change, yet it wouldn't be all too farfetch'd (see what I did there?) to believe that Game Freak would radically change the formula with Pokémon on Switch.

The exact quote from Easy Allies is as follows:
"Gamefreak was very nervous about doing any kind of radical departure for Pokémon, they sell so well why would you mess with that? Apparently, Breath of the Wild's reception and the reaction to Mario at E3 was so overwhelmingly positive that it convinced them that they need to make the next Pokémon game as disruptive as those two games were. That it's going to be as big of an innovation as those two games were."

What do you think? Do you believe Game Freak is planning something groundbreaking with their upcoming Pokémon game? What would you like to see in a console Pokémon entry? Leave your answers down below!

:arrow: Source 1
:arrow: Source 2
:arrow: Source 3

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's going to be garbage.

The Masuda quote is old, speculating is kind of unappealing because I really think this is a distant future thing. It would follow GF's release schedule too, after the second pair of generational games, there is typically a year off, no new main series release. So this big game won't come out until 2019, I think Nintendo gave that "2018 or later" estimate just to tease people into thinking it will come out sooner. That being said, I don't know, whatever they're capable of. I personally would want a larger scale version of the GC games, Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Little to no loading time between routes and cities, a whole new full scale region rather than mini ones in those GC games. At least 30 hours of gameplay since that's a typical main series play time. A very busy battle facility, not just one like Battle Maison and Tree, basically a return of Battle Frontier. Or that but renamed. I think the graphics on BOTW are good enough for Pokemon, with Masuda's musical passion, I expect a really immersive soundtrack, even sound effects like leaves blowing in the wind. Bring back the seasons from Gen 5, bring back secret bases, those are so appealing for a home console anyways. I should chill on a wishlist for this, don't want to give my hopes up. I just expect top notch work put in. As long as Nintendo doesn't rush them, it should be fine.

Last edited by RustInPeace,

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally would want a larger scale version of the GC games

I wouldn't mind at all if they remade R/B/Y, but combined it into one game. They could redo each generation as a new entry. Pokemon Kanto for 2019, Pokemon Johto for 202X, etc. We all saw how successful Pokemon GO was for the first generation. Everyone knows the first 151. After that, it drops off quickly.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I've been talking about this on this site a couple of times. Nintendo should really do something different with the Pokemon series.

The Switch is really shaping to be an excellent console, far better than the Wii U. If they actually pull something different and get high praises, then the Switch is a must get for those that don't have one yet. The Pokemon Series is a system seller along with Mario, and Mario is already highly praised. So Nintendo is on the right track.

Reactions: Deleted User

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never played a single game in the series but if they make it an actual game instead of turn based rpg i amy give it a try

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been talking about this on this site a couple of times. Nintendo should really do something different with the Pokemon series.
They tried that before both with the GameCube games and Sun and Moon. And surprise surprise those are some of the worst games in the series.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Real game" is subjective. I consider TB RPGs more of a game than all of the generic shooters.
i don't like shooters either but the TB genre i don't even consider to be games they are more like computer animated chose your own adventure books
i would rather watch paint dry on the wall but to each his own
but pokemon is based on a card game which kind of falls in line with the boringness of TB

Reactions: k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True. I've come to prefer the ATB type systems of FF 15 etc. I'm not a fan of Real time fighting all of the time.. I like a little time to make strategy on the fly

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
They tried that before both with the GameCube games and Sun and Moon. And surprise surprise those are some of the worst games in the series.
They're ok not the worst in the series. They were better Pokemon Revolution.

I also did mention this.
If they actually pull something different and get high praises

Meaning not just something different, but something thats also well made. Meaning something better then Colosseum and XD and different at the same time.

D

Deleted User

I'm seriously hoping it's something that spans multiple regions.

If it does span 2+ regions, there's only one thing I can really think of that'd work with the game. The current Pokemon format would have to be altered (but not flat-out changed so you couldn't transfer in old Pokemon from old games), maybe so Pokemon can level beyond level 100, since 100 will be pretty easy to achieve in a game that has multiple regions that are actually fleshed out and not just some sort of post-game thing. On top of that it might be a good idea to have the levels of trainer's Pokemon in regions other than the default possibly scale with your Pokemon's levels in some way. That's the only thing I can think of that works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1