[Rumor] Playstation Vita Won’t Play Playstation One Classics

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Casual question - why is everybody so fixated on emulating an incredibly old system on a contemporary console if their PSP's (if they own PSP's) do that natively already and there's no need for further backwards compatibility? Besides, it's a rumour anyways - I'm pretty sure the Vita has more than enough power to pull this off flawlessly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Truth to be told, it's not the console that counts but the games that represent it. For me, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter and Crock made the PSX what it is to me. You probably preferred Super Mario 64 and Starfox, and there ain't nothing wrong about that. A matter of taste, mm-hmm.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't even begin to understand your train of thought, mainly because I can think of hundreds of great games for the PSX, and only a handful for the Saturn and the N64.
We obviously have different definitions of 'great games'

Probably because Foxi's definition is better. The N64 had good games but nearly as many as the PSX.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't even begin to understand your train of thought, mainly because I can think of hundreds of great games for the PSX, and only a handful for the Saturn and the N64.

Probably because Foxi's definition is better. The N64 had good games but nearly as many as the PSX.
That's your opinion that PSX has more games that you'd play, other people may say something else.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's your opinion that PSX has more games that you'd play, other people may say something else.

Quantitatively the PSX had a larger library of games.

There's a reason the PSX outsold the N64 by like 3:1.
and again if people enjoyed more games on the N64 over PSX, sheer amount of numbers means nothing to them.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm gonna guess Sony need time to create another PSOne emulator. If memory serves me correct, the PS3 took a little time to play PSOne classic.
They've coded a PSP emulator for it. The PSOne emulator is coded for PSP. Surely they can just run the emulator under the emulator so we can game while we game? Wait...
Point is they say that you'll be able to run all PSP games on it. If they've got an emulator accurate enough for that it should be able to run POPSloader as well.

I'm pretty sure the PSP ran PSOne games by virtualization which means it (if memory serves me correct) had PSOne hardware to run PSOne games. If that PSOne hardware isn't in the Vita than they just can't reuse POPSloader.
Might be using a virtualizer for the CPU, but the rest must be done in pure software emulation (like the GPU). The Vita's CPU is powerful enough to emulate a poor little R3000 anyways.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's almost like they know it's gonna be hacked.

The dual analog sticks would be perfect for a lot of PS1 games.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As Yoshida said on twitter, they will not be playable thay one in Japan. I'm sure they're making modifications on the PS1 emulator they use on PS3/PSP, to accept the new inputs Vita uses. I think it'll be ready for US release anyway.

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

lol what? I never ever played my psx and LIVED on my n64, you must have never played one. Its all opinion and perspective, and I can see where hes coming from I was never a big fan of sony consoles (never really touched my ps2 till GTA vice city and the KH and Ratchet and clank series came out)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait til its hacked then play all the PSX games you want.
Unless there's no native virtualization and nobody decides to write/port a third-party emulator...

I do think it'd be silly if they didn't sell PSOne Classics. It's just basically pure profit, almost every PSX game they sell on there turned a profit a long time ago.
Yeah, if they're not doing it it's likely for technical reasons.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

lol what? I never ever played my psx and LIVED on my n64, you must have never played one. Its all opinion and perspective, and I can see where hes coming from I was never a big fan of sony consoles (never really touched my ps2 till GTA vice city and the KH and Ratchet and clank series came out)
Those are mostly the PS2 games i played o.o
And yeah, n64 was a great console.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ITT Nintentards, the Thread.

Seriously? N64 fucking sucks outside of Nintendo games and some 3rd party games. PS1 had a lot of gems, a lot more than N64 and even Gamecube. Just because you guys don't like, doesn't mean a lot of other people don't like too.

Reactions: 1 person

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country

Quantitatively the PSX had a larger library of games.

There's a reason the PSX outsold the N64 by like 3:1.
and again if people enjoyed more games on the N64 over PSX, sheer amount of numbers means nothing to them.
Yet apparently, when the same people talk about NDS vs PSP, sheer numbers means everything. *ahem, bias*

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? N64 fucking sucks outside of Nintendo games and some 3rd party games. PS1 had a lot of gems, a lot more than N64 and even Gamecube. Just because you guys don't like, doesn't mean a lot of other people don't like too.

lol what.

I'd ideally like to replace my PSP altogether - which I won't be able to do as of yet, as it might not play my bought classics or my UMD's - and I'm not willing to repay for them. I can't carry around a Vita, PSP, 3DS, and a phone. That being said, I don't see this affecting a lot of people. I don't know many people, outside of myself and a few friends, who use their PSP's to play Playstation Classics. And even so, unless you're a hardcore Playstation classic fan, I don't see it acting as a deal breaker.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not a deal breaker, just a major disappointment. It isn't as if I play PSX games often, but I'd certainly like the option, especially since I've bought them thinking they'll be compatible across future hardware as well as current.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun