GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
digimon_790screen015.jpg

The PS Vita is backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games, it seems however, that it just might not be able to play those Classic PsOne games you have downloaded.
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan posted an FAQ for the PS Vita today, and next to the part that says the device is compatible with PSP software downloaded from PSN, is a huge asterisk. It states that support for Game Archives are the exception. These Game Archives refer specifically to PsOne Classics and TurboGrafx-16 games (Japan). What this means for us is that if you were planning on playing Metal Gear Solid or Chrono Cross on your Vita, don’t get your hopes up too high as this may not be a possibility. We will keep you posted as Sony says they will release more information about this “soon”.
http://www.justpushs...n-one-classics/
Aw, so no Digimon World 3 (If it would be released on PSN) *sadface*

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
You guys are probably best waiting for Sony to say something about this (but I know you all won't anyway

The original FAQ says you can play Playstation Classics, it could be a mistranslation or just jumping at the gun.

It says 'Game Archives', which probably means more to the Neo Geo, etc games.

EDIT: My bad, game archives in Japan means Playstation Classic, Andriasang tells a different story though...
The FAQ does not specifically state that Vita will not play Game Archives games. We'll have to wait for Sony to share more details.
http://andriasang.com/comyk0/

It would be cool if someone puts rumour on the title though so nobody gets the wrong idea.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
maybe not at launch, like the psp
but it should come latter

but go to SONY'S support page
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254
Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?
A: Users can play PSP titles, minis and PSone classics titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.
so
ps1 games should work on the vita

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
If true it's not a dealbreaker for me, I do have a PSP and Xperia Play for handheld PS1 games.

I am curious what the reasoning behind it would be though - all it really does is confuse consumers, and it removes a possible source of income for Sony, all they need is a well done emulator and then just keep throwing old games at us for £5+ a game, surely that's just easy money?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool if someone puts rumour on the title though so nobody gets the wrong idea.

Your wish is my command.

I do think it'd be silly if they didn't sell PSOne Classics. It's just basically pure profit, almost every PSX game they sell on there turned a profit a long time ago.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm gonna guess Sony need time to create another PSOne emulator. If memory serves me correct, the PS3 took a little time to play PSOne classic.
They've coded a PSP emulator for it. The PSOne emulator is coded for PSP. Surely they can just run the emulator under the emulator so we can game while we game? Wait...
Point is they say that you'll be able to run all PSP games on it. If they've got an emulator accurate enough for that it should be able to run POPSloader as well.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm gonna guess Sony need time to create another PSOne emulator. If memory serves me correct, the PS3 took a little time to play PSOne classic.
They've coded a PSP emulator for it. The PSOne emulator is coded for PSP. Surely they can just run the emulator under the emulator so we can game while we game? Wait...
Point is they say that you'll be able to run all PSP games on it. If they've got an emulator accurate enough for that it should be able to run POPSloader as well.

I'm pretty sure the PSP ran PSOne games by virtualization which means it (if memory serves me correct) had PSOne hardware to run PSOne games. If that PSOne hardware isn't in the Vita than they just can't reuse POPSloader.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They'd probably want a new emulator to incorporate some new stuff (second analog stick, new screen, maybe add some features, etc). I think running the PSOne emulator on the PSP through the PSP emulator on the Vita would be kinda silly.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Crap, now I may not be able to play the classic Front Mission games and Chocobo Dungeon series on my Vita

But it's still a bit of a downer, since the dual analogs would be nice. Hopefully they'll give us some PS2 Classics.

Cutting out PS1 games seems like a bit of a deal breaker to me, but PS2 games would go a long way to make up for that.

I hope PS2 classics are Vita compatible, Front Mission 5 is the best in the series and would make up for losing the ability to play the other 4 games in the series that are PS classics, plus there's FM4 which is just as good.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not too many good PSX games anyway.

*jaw drops, brain implodes, someone just insulted the best 32-bit console in the world, the Saturn Stomper, the N64 Destroyer, the cream of the crop*

You, sir, never played on a PSX before. Otherwise you'd know better.
I have a PSX, had a much better time playing my neighbor's N64..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can't even begin to understand your train of thought, mainly because I can think of hundreds of great games for the PSX, and only a handful for the Saturn and the N64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1