The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pslogo.jpg

Following continued reports last week that PlayStation 4 is to be based on AMD hardware and is being planned for a 2013 release, a VG247 source has said Sony is aiming to get the machine to market ahead of Microsoft’s next generation Xbox.
The design goalposts for PS4, including specs, were in place at least two years ago, we were told. Our source said that Sony is “confident” it will have the console at market ahead of the next generation Xbox next Christmas.
VG247 reported this morning that developers and publishers have been told that Xbox 720 will be released for Holiday 2013.
“Sony are completely in the belief that they have the jump on Microsoft this time,” they said. “You should be watching the timing of next year’s E3 keynotes, and who’s going to go first.”
A second source said this morning that all next-generation systems will be in place “by 2014″.
Sony has apparently already put its favoured partners in the frame as to PlayStation 4.
“Top line publishers already know about it,” our source said. “Developers working with publishers – like Ubisoft, for example – already know what’s going on. They’re already working on it.”
While “most developers” will be fully briefed “by the end of this year,” some have been invited to events in May and June in the US.
Another source has told us more information is going to be issued about PS4 to developers under NDA in May.
MCV reported earlier this year that both PS4 and Xbox 720 “will be shown at E3 2012,” but both Microsoft and Sony have both said nothing consumer-facing about the next generation will happen at the LA event this year.
Direct to drive
In addition, a rumour is circulating that PlayStation 4 will use DirectX as opposed to a proprietary Sony API. It was reported last week that PlayStation 4 will not be based on PS3′s Cell processor in any way, and will instead use standard AMD hardware.
We were told today that Crytek was scaling its tech on the assumption that PS4 was going to be using a 24-core Cell processor as opposed to the eight-core unit in PS3. The studio was forced to halt development and start afresh when it was informed PlayStation 4 won’t be using Cell at all.
Indications are that PlayStation 4 will provide a development environment similar to that of the Xbox consoles and PC.
In addition VG247 has been told that elements of Vita’s launch hardware were changed to ensure that PS4 and Vita will be able to connect in a similar style to Nintendo’s Wii U and its controller – due for release this year – with Vita’s being used to control PS4 games with both twin sticks and touch.

Source

Is over Sony just destroy Xbox 720 and Wiiu

MOAR CORES CORES CORES

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony hasn't destroyed anything. Their reputation is still marred by their hacked fiasco. I will never trust Sony again, and if they are 'rushing' to release ahead of the new Xbox and the WiiU, it shows they are scared at the competition. Just my two pieces-o-eight.

... Oh wait, it's Valwin posting.... Inb4DERP didn't read who posted.

Reactions: 2 people

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the official statement from Microsoft is worth anything, then yeah. If Sony does release a PS4 this year, it will be ahead of the next Xbox, since there won't be a new Xbox this year.

Edit: Also, Sega really needs to get back in the console business. Just sayin.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Indications are that PlayStation 4 will provide a development environment similar to that of the Xbox consoles and PC.
This I find hard to believe, but it's in line with wanting to rush out a new console as soon as possible. They wouldn't have time to design/manufacture a custom processor, and would have to make do with what's available.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, did Sony/Microsoft troll?

They said the PS4/720 would not be in this year's E3. (or was that just microsoft...?)
They're talking about next years E3.

MCV reported earlier this year that both PS4 and Xbox 720 “will be shown at E3 2012”

Although reading the rest it seems Sony/Microsoft haven't confirmed yet.

If the rumours are true about the 24-core processor I don't want to see the launch price tag for the PS4. (although with the 720 it's 'probably' going to be similar, being a next-gen console)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If the rumours are true about the 24-core processor I don't want to see the launch price tag for the PS4. (although with the 720 it's 'probably' going to be similar, being a next-gen console)

Sony has learned their lesson on pricing. The PS3 would probably be in a much higher standing than it is now if it didn't launch at $600. People thought the Vita was going to be atrociously overpriced but at $250, it was a steal. Even if it means they make little profit off console sales or even lose cash on console sales, they'll make the next PS3 affordable. I'd say under $500 is a reasonable assumption.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony has learned their lesson on pricing. The PS3 would probably be in a much higher standing than it is now if it didn't launch at $600. People thought the Vita was going to be atrociously overpriced but at $250, it was a steal. Even if it means they make little profit off console sales or even lose cash on console sales, they'll make the next PS3 affordable. I'd say under $500 is a reasonable assumption.

I see Sony did in fact "learn" their lesson after seeing the PS Vita Passport Program; Pay for what you already paid for. :lol:

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It was reported last week that PlayStation 4 will not be based on PS3′s Cell processor in any way, and will instead use standard AMD hardware.
*In my best valley girl impression* Uh, AMD...Ewwwww!

But seriously guys, it looks like it's just going to be a consolized PC. I didn't look outside of Nintendo this generation and I don't see myself doing so next generation either. If I want to play PC games I've got a PC for that already.

Umm... http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/03/28/new-ps4-details-playstation-orbis-with-devs-already-features-anti-used-games-mechanism/

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh no, is Sony planning to pull a Wii U with PS4-Vita connectivity?

It won't work. The secret to a successful gimmick is not making it sold separately. Developers don't want to build their games around a function that only a small fraction of the market can take advantage of.

Reactions: 1 person

stylow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want that sony is going to do something original this time with the playstation i mean not only upgrade graphics but something that differs from that like the Wii U but than Sony like

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Creativity is dying.

Seriously, this is just a rumor. I'm taking this with a grain of salt. E3 will provide some facts. Something that this thread lacks.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gotta love them rumors. Do people honestly take all these as fact? For example the processor talk is just pure speculation: "We think we have a CELL CPU, oh wait no we don't. We have an AMD CPU. No we don't. We have an Inter CPU. No we don't. Wait what do we have again?"

I'll just wait for at least some kind of dev units or announcements (officialer the better).

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, is Sony planning to pull a Wii U with PS4-Vita connectivity?

It won't work. The secret to a successful gimmick is not making it sold separately. Developers don't want to build their games around a function that only a small fraction of the market can take advantage of.
It'll probably just be an optional feature, like they've always done in the past. It's not exactly going to be like the Wii-U is doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet