[Rumor] Platinum Games hinting at new Metroid?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Have mixed feelings about this.
Tell me about it. I can't quite see Platinum making a good Metroid game. A good action game, perhaps, but not a good Metroid. They're at their best when they can just develop a button mashing fest, something action-packed and fast-paced, a game where story comes second and action comes first. Metroid isn't like that, it's always been about slow exploration of levels with the occasional boss encounter. Perhaps they could make some form of a spin-off, but they're not the studio you come to when you want to make the next main entry in the series.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tell me about it. I can't quite see Platinum making a good Metroid game. A good action game, perhaps, but not a good Metroid. They're at their best when they can just develop a button mashing fest, something action-packed and fast-paced, a game where story comes second and action comes first. Metroid isn't like that, it's always been about slow exploration of levels with the occasional boss encounter. Perhaps they could make some form of a spin-off, but they're not the studio you come to when you want to make the next main entry in the series.
I didn't even really think about this, but you're right. The whole "Explore big areas and solve semi-puzzles to get more powerups" thing isn't even close to what they've tried before. That doesn't mean they CAN'T do it, but it would probably end up as a decent game, but not a good Metroid game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't even really think about this, but you're right. The whole "Explore big areas and solve semi-puzzles to get more powerups" thing isn't even close to what they've tried before. That doesn't mean they CAN'T do it, but it would probably end up as a decent game, but not a good Metroid game.
I encourage devs to get out of their comfort zones and try out new things, but preferably with new IP's rather than established franchises. A franchise with a long history like Metroid has certain standards that have to be met, games like this are associated with a lot of hype that can very easily result in negative reviews if it isn't met. Nintendo tried re-inventing Metroid with Other M and we all know how well that went down - as much as I enjoyed the game myself, it's not exactly well-received.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait wait wait.

You are telling me that we are getting rumors of a new metroid game because of some tweet about Bayonetta ordering a metroid themed drink at a bar?

Never change, internet.
Don't forget that MM3D was teased the same way in ALBW, Ravio (iirc) had a Majora's Mask hanging on a wall in his house.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's desperate. Its a mask hanging on a wall as a decoration, not a game announcement.
I said "teaser", not announcement. It's up to you to think if it was intentional, or if Ravio just accidentally had a cursed one-of-a-kind mask hanging on his wall.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Platinum games can be pretty good at other genres if Infinite Space means something, that game had a huge story and awesome gameplay (although not the easiest game to learn how to play), although that was a sort of real time strategy rpg it was pretty awesome. However, it's difficult learning curve probably made most people give up on the gave before getting too into it. Dx

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Wat. Some Bayonetta bosses had some QTE. Sparse if any elsewhere. Platinum Games is known for having an impeccable record for making fantastic quality, quirky games, I dunno what Platinum games you're thinking of.
If you think they use a lot of QTE, you've clearly never actually played a game with even mild use of QTE. Try Ninja Blade.
QTE is there so you can't deny it and B1 compared to B2 had a lot of it, thankfully they cut it down on B2.

I hate when fanboys will damage control their favourite games/consoles. *sigh*

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
there has been results of change before, remember that Retro only did Metroid Prime before and when Nintendo made them make a Donkey Kong game they returned very well.
Nintendo is really picky and won't accept anything below his standards(and even less after other m), I think Platinum can make a good Metroid style game if lead by Nintendo.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget that MM3D was teased the same way in ALBW, Ravio (iirc) had a Majora's Mask hanging on a wall in his house.

Actually Link did, as it was there before Ravio moved in. Either way, I think that's a bit different. The Mask was a bit out of place there, as a possible way to tease the idea, while Bayonetta has various Nintendo themed costumes and is probably just someone at Platinum having a bit of fun. It's not impossible, but it really does seem like fans making something out of nothing.

At the very least, if Platinum did make a Metroid, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more than MPH or Other M, even if it's not a very good Metroid game.

Reactions: Lycan911

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, a picture and a tweet is so baseless for a "news" thread, so I moved this to General Gaming Discussion instead.

EDIT: Regarding the "rumor", I feel like Platinum Games would make a terrible Metroid game, since a majority of their quality games are button masher combat games

Reactions: BORTZ

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Link did, as it was there before Ravio moved in. Either way, I think that's a bit different. The Mask was a bit out of place there, as a possible way to tease the idea, while Bayonetta has various Nintendo themed costumes and is probably just someone at Platinum having a bit of fun. It's not impossible, but it really does seem like fans making something out of nothing.

At the very least, if Platinum did make a Metroid, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more than MPH or Other M, even if it's not a very good Metroid game.
Mph was pretty great for the time since they put all of that on the ds in the early years though

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mph was pretty great for the time since they put all of that on the ds in the early years though

Looked great for a DS game, yeah, but my hands cramp up just thinking about it, though. That game did not have the greatest controls and I could only play it for a few minutes at a time before my hands started hurting.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked great for a DS game, yeah, but my hands cramp up just thinking about it, though. That game did not have the greatest controls and I could only play it for a few minutes at a time before my hands started hurting.
Yeah the controls where a bit hard on the hands but it played a lot better on 3ds IMO.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the controls where a bit hard on the hands but it played a lot better on 3ds IMO.

I wouldn't know, that's one of the few games I actually didn't hold onto. There really weren't many games on the Wii and DS that I liked. Luckily, with games like Bayonetta 2, Nintendo has some interesting things again. With any luck, maybe we'll see a couple of good Metroid games this generation and Yoshio and Team Ninja will stay far away from them.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know, that's one of the few games I actually didn't hold onto. There really weren't many games on the Wii and DS that I liked. Luckily, with games like Bayonetta 2, Nintendo has some interesting things again.
Like previous people said I just don't think they could make a game that the fanboys would like but I think it would be good as a general game

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like previous people said I just don't think they could make a game that the fanboys would like but I think it would be good as a general game

I want a new Metroid, but I'm not sure if there is anyone I want to do a new Metroid game. Retro's Prime was amazing, but the two after that weren't that great to me. Yoshio started going downhill with Fusion, even added unnecessary bits to Zero Mission (though I still love it), so I doubt I'd want to see him handle another Metroid.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want a new Metroid, but I'm not sure if there is anyone I want to do a new Metroid game. Retro's Prime was amazing, but the two after that weren't that great to me. Yoshio started going downhill with Fusion, even added unnecessary bits to Zero Mission (though I still love it), so I doubt I'd want to see him handle another Metroid.

Your right I don't know anyone who I'd like to do but if I had to pick I'd say valve even though it would never happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Do you remember this song?