RUMOR: No PSP2, but PSP-4000 With Sliding Screen

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Feb 24, 2009.

Feb 24, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

"Rumors that just don't want to die usually have some truth to it. And this rumor has been around for ages. VG247 reports that the PSP-4000 is real, and that it will have a 'complete aesthetic overhaul,' according to their source.

This means this rumored model isn't the PSP2, just a new design based on 'existing PSP tech.' We probably won't see any real functional changes, then. What's the biggest change? A sliding screen, à la Sony Mylo. The source says that the current design isn't that far away from the fan-made image above.

So when will we see this gee-golly-jeepers-that's-amazing-molly new PSP design? According to the VG247, it will be announced at either GDC or E3. The model itself will be released sometime this year, which concurs with earlier rumors. Personally, I want to see this happen, but I'll believe it when I see it."

Source

2. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    I'd love that companies stop redesigning their consoles every damn year. If you want a redesing, wait a couple years and release a "final" version, FFS.

3. DarthYoshi

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hmmm. I personally don't have a PSP and didn't like the controls on my friends and such. However, this could be cool. I like the idea of a bigger screen too. I'm gonna have to "believe it when I see it" too though. =P

4. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Looks pretty good from that fan art. A touch screen would be icing on the cake. Writing long messages using the on-screen keyboard on current PSP's is not fun.

5. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I really doubt they'd put in a touch screen do to the fact that the PSP has already been out for a while, and none of the games support touch screen functionality.

6. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    God help the screen if it's like the mock up in the image.

7. borka

Newcomer borka Advanced Member

Russia
    IMO it looks cool, but if it does appear, it will be a very very uncomfortable control scheme.

Just take a book and pretend to use controls from below. Like old gameboys, but bigger and heavier.

8. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Great! I was considering gettin a DS Lite Black but seeing this is making me reconsider. I always wanted a PSP from the year it came out and I went to the store for it and they sold out, I saw the DS though. My dad gave me two choices, wait for god knows how long for a PSP or get DS right now.
    I chose DS and can't remember why, but I don't regret it. I will not be getting if I gotta sell DS for it tho because I can't desert my favourite games [​IMG]
    If I get this I'ma go buy Phantasy star for it [​IMG] that game ROCKS!
    I don't know it depends how much better the PSP 4000 is compared to that fan mock up.
    [​IMG]
    Oh yah and if it's top heavy that will be one massive design fault.

9. DeadLocked

United Kingdom
    If only Xbox announced a HandHeld. I garauntee that it would storm the handheld market and be on top instantly, dominating the Handheld Market AND the Console market.

10. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah I guess but Sony would be stupid not to include one in the PSP2 if it ever happens.

11. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, IMO that rehash looks damn cool. Not that I'd ever get a PSP though, it costs too much considering the relatively small amount of good games.

12. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] thats the funniest thing I've ever seen in a forum on this site microsoft.....making a handheld xbox....... [​IMG]

and back on topic if there is going to be a new psp and its going to be VERY similar to the fan mock up then I will buy it because it looks slick, I have a ds and yes its good will never get rid I never liked the original PSP but this one I do like I actually hope sony does us all a favour and releases it buuuut if they do unfortunately it will probably cost something similar to a PS3 which will suck...majorly

13. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I hope these rumors are true, not the fact that it will look like that, but by the fact that there will be a new PSP, id like to see what SONY comes up with.

14. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    LOL sliding screen? i give it a month before it snaps off

15. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    Shhhhh, you Sony fanboy. Everyone not blind by fanboyism knows that it will break in 2 weeks, max [​IMG]

16. z0mbiew0lf

Newcomer z0mbiew0lf Member

United States
    Looks awesome, but we can only trust sony so far with hardware.

Dual analog sticks? We should have had that from the start. (And the next DS wouldn't be so bad with 'em either)

17. DeadLocked

United Kingdom
    I agree the DS would have been better with dual sticks. But what the hell! It can only recognise one touch at once meaning we can't even have dual sticks on touch screen! All those shooters out there would be better with that, maybe with that, and a graphical rehaul the DS would be great for Shooters, BOO NINTY
    That's why I'ma get me one of these PSP 4k or PSP 2 depends if I can be bothered waitin for PSP 2. (hopefully it uses a format that is a bit more common like mini disk or something, UMD sucks.)

18. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    LOL i'm a sony fanboy? the only sony product i own is my psp (and mebe a tv or something) which i haven't touched in like 2 years. failed accusation.

EDIT: nvm i just realized it was a joke xD

19. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    That fan art doesn't really look like it could be durable

20. DeadLocked

United Kingdom
    It looks as strong as a laptop so it can't be that bad. My main concern is th screen. Need to make an unscratchable screen. I like DS Lite touch screen it's got a gel-like texture when you press on it, pretty durable even in pkmn ranger so I hope it's same type of stuff.