Rumor: No Disc Drive For Next Xbox

Stewy12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.
Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

Full story: http://www.mcvuk.com...ext-xbox/092534

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Terrible idea if true for backwards compatibility, however it's the only realistic option for future gaming in terms of performance and load times, which are just going to increase even if you have a power house of a processing system, optical drives are extremely limited in speed compared to a solid state medium like SDHC. I guess it could work since a variation on SDHC cards with locked read/write would be a cheap item to produce in the long run.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Interesting idea, but there still has to be another option for acquiring games. Instead of online. Interested in the console, especially if previous gen game loading is possible.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If xbox stops having physical media I'll just give up on the xbox, same goes for any other console... I hate digital retail games, indie and stuff it's ok, but big name games I like having them on display on my collection, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc, etc... I often enjoy grabbing a copy of an old game from my shelf, like Sonic for the Mega Drive and play it, digital stuff isn't very trustworthy regarding it's future life and stuff.

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They'll be cutting out a huge chunk of their market by removing physical media, not everyone is fortunate enough to have a capable internet connection

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
They'll be cutting out a huge chunk of their market by removing physical media, not everyone is fortunate enough to have a capable internet connection
True. OnLive would be on par with the consoles right now if it were.

Also, it would be a huge disadvantage for the people who rely on the second hand market/rentals. What if they have a system where you input a code from the game's manual or on the disc (or whatever method it may be), the people who bought their games pre-owned or rented will not be able to enjoy, say, their copy of MW3 or Skyrim.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Removing the disc drive doesn't remove physical media. It just removes the disc format (which is a problem in some way for nearly all consoles this gen). Now if only everyone would understand that making a propriety disc format (Nintendo especially done this) isn't the way to go. After DVD/BluRay-drives have been added to consoles, it removes one extra device from my TV stand :3

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt this. If they go the sd card route, it rises prices a lot compared to discs, even with falling prices. If they go the online only route, you would have really long downloads for most people, streaming for a fortunate few. A lot of people with bandwidth caps would be screwed.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Wasn't it rumored that the next box will come with an optical drive but also there will be a slimmed down version without one?
Also I think It would great to go back to cartridges, they are so much strong than the silly fragile disks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."