Rumor: No Disc Drive For Next Xbox

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Won't happen only way is if it all around the world internet was offerred with much more bandwith.

That's a good point. Microsoft would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. Not everyone in the world has unlimited plans with their ISP. Even less have the kind of speeds to make this sort of thing feasible. Compared to the spread of Xbox 360 consoles across the planet, the market for this new console would be limited to countries with at least a high ceiling on their download limit and at least a 5MB download speed.
Even that couldn't help in times of new, extremely popular game releases. Imagine a game that sells a million copies in one day (some games even sell more, CoD, BF and many more). Going with a size of, say a Bluray, we'd have around 25 000 000 000 MB needing to be downloaded. Or times 2 if it's dual-layered. The strain, especially on a small area, could basically cripple the whole internet for the rest. More so than piracy since they're all trying to get the stuff from one source. And this is with the limit of disc space. Basically with digital downloads, the limit is not present and the size of videos can be made.. Lossless in a way or another.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
it just doesnt seem feasible for a good number of ppl. even if ppl were allowed to just download their games, the games would be very huge to download and fit onto the hard disk.
everyone would need at least 500gb to be satisfied.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Correct me if I am wrong, but the source only says that the disc drive is going to be removed, not the physical media. That is not the same as going digital only.

That's not what companies want. That's what they THINK they want. Resellable games is one of the last advantages of console gaming. If that goes away, I have a feeling there will be a mass exodus to PC.

True that. Well, companies think they are doing it ok, but most of the time is the other way.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making it a purely digital console would mean Microsoft's swan song in the gaming world, and they know it.

They'll die just like Valve did.

Seriously, digitial distribution certainly doesn't mean the end of a gaming company. It's probably the opposite. The difference is making a good digital distribution service (like Steam) vs. a crappy one (like XBLA, PSN, WiiWare/VC/eShop). You need to hit on certain points that make digital distribution worth going towards, one of them being price, which Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have all been shit at. Pricing $60 for a digital copy of a game when it's about $40 at retail is ridiculous. Hell, they just dropped the price on Force Unleashed, for example, on Xbox Live. It went from $30 to $20. I don't think anyone would pay $20 for that game still.

Reactions: 2 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Making it a purely digital console would mean Microsoft's swan song in the gaming world, and they know it.

They'll die just like Valve did.

Seriously, digitial distribution certainly doesn't mean the end of a gaming company. It's probably the opposite. The difference is making a good digital distribution service (like Steam) vs. a crappy one (like XBLA, PSN, WiiWare/VC/eShop). You need to hit on certain points that make digital distribution worth going towards, one of them being price, which Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have all been shit at. Pricing $60 for a digital copy of a game when it's about $40 at retail is ridiculous. Hell, they just dropped the price on Force Unleashed, for example, on Xbox Live. It went from $30 to $20. I don't think anyone would pay $20 for that game still.

The difference between Console and PC games is being able to sell your games. With the invention of CD keys, they may as well be digital. People choose console for a number of reasons. some of them for the lower price point, and some of them because they can pawn off their games every six months to a year (sometimes less). Especially sports gamers.

Steam is still alive for two reasons. One, like I said before, you can't sell PC games anyway after the CD key has been redeemed. But the other is the main reason. Steam knows the draw of value. Steam has sales every. single. day. Borderland is on sale every other month. Valve games are on sale all the time too. Quality games for awesome prices. I gotta be honest, sometimes I feel like I'm stealing when I buy a game for 10% of it's original price. Steam has that shit down.

I have to say though, I don't see Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo mimicking Steam's insane deals. I, however, would love to be proven wrong. If MS can match value games with Digital prices along with some killer deals at least once a week (not this shitty XBL sales crap they're doing now), they may be able to make a profitable system. Even a gradual price drop on all titles would be awesome. They need to understand that just because they are the only game in town, doesn't mean guaranteed sales.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not sure of statistics, but how long does it take for a game to get a price reduction on XBL/PSN? Just because I've been buying quite a few PS3 games a few months (sometimes even less) after launch for around £9.99-14.99 when the RRP has been £49-59. If the DL versions would be priced even close to those prices, it'd be interesting. If only the DLC would be reasonably priced for older games too. Thinking at original price of games dropped to 10-20% of original, DLC is still probably at 100%.

Actually looking back at my previous statement, I understand why DLC never gets a price drop. They make up for the game being sold for less.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The difference between Console and PC games is being able to sell your games. With the invention of CD keys, they may as well be digital. People choose console for a number of reasons. some of them for the lower price point, and some of them because they can pawn off their games every six months to a year (sometimes less). Especially sports gamers.

Steam is still alive for two reasons. One, like I said before, you can't sell PC games anyway after the CD key has been redeemed. But the other is the main reason. Steam knows the draw of value. Steam has sales every. single. day. Borderland is on sale every other month. Valve games are on sale all the time too. Quality games for awesome prices. I gotta be honest, sometimes I feel like I'm stealing when I buy a game for 10% of it's original price. Steam has that shit down.

I have to say though, I don't see Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo mimicking Steam's insane deals. I, however, would love to be proven wrong. If MS can match value games with Digital prices along with some killer deals at least once a week (not this shitty XBL sales crap they're doing now), they may be able to make a profitable system. Even a gradual price drop on all titles would be awesome. They need to understand that just because they are the only game in town, doesn't mean guaranteed sales.

Before Steam, you could just resell your old PC games too. In fact, Steam basically killed any used market that existed for PCs. But people love the damn thing since the sales are great and the service itself is awesome.

Also, nowadays, games are becoming and less and less resellable nowadays. Online passes, undeletable saves, all this stuff is making a used game a lot more undesirable than a new one. Difference is that people complain so much over an online pass but won't think twice about having an entire game unplayable unless you enter a code. The reason for this, as I mentioned, is that the prices are so good. Why worry about the resale price of Mass Effect when I got it for $5?

There's just a lot of double standards when it comes to console gamers and PC gamers. For PC games nowadays, it's almost standard to come included with some sort of redemption code or method for Steam, GFWL (hold your laughter, please), Origin, whatever. Without this code or method, the game is a coaster. If any console game did this, there'd be an uproar. And yes, piracy is a factor since it's pretty much always easy on the PC, requires no modifications to the system itself, and you can't suffer dire consequences for it (in terms of being banned from online services).

I think eventually gaming will turn entirely digital. There's some small strides being taken towards becoming a Steam-level of sales. Look at the Vita. Digital games are cheaper than retail. While it's not the $10 difference that often comes to PC copies, it's a step forward.

I think the issue is how the companies view digital distribution currently. Valve sees it as "We're not giving them any physical ownership over the product so we'll discount them for it or provide whatever benefits we can". Microsoft at least sees it as "We're giving them the game almost instantly instead of waiting for delivery or having to go pick it up so it's a benefit to them". I think over time people will turn to a Valve way of thinking. They've made constant strides to go from a rather small time developer to colonizing PC gaming as it is. This didn't come from overcharging for their products, it came from smart business. Turning games past their profitability into free to play or by selling them for pocket change. Providing constant discounts that retail can't. Giving them easy access to tools to modify their games and let them turn into virtual Model Magic.

For the record, no matter how badly I presented it, I totally agree with you.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Eh, Nintendo supports SD cards on the DSi/3DS, USB on the Wii and the same charger for DSi/3DS. Their proprietary formats are usually for necessity, or fee dodging. Not usually blatant cash grabs like the stuff the vita is filled with.
Do you see DVD or BluRay loading on the Wii? Do you see (non-modded) USB/SD loading on the Wii for retail discs? Do you really see game loading on the DSi/3DS? I'm talking about retail games, not the DSiWare or VC titles currently available on the store. That's my point. I don't see SD cards being cheap when the consoles launched for that matter (well the 3DS yes, but still).

But the point is true that Nintendo has averted certain costs by using their own format, but at least they could have used a drive which allows other formats to be loaded. At least DVD.
Yes, Nintendo used their oiwn proprietary optical discs with the Wii and the Wii U. You could use the typical complaints regarding proprietary formats with Nintendo... if Nintendo had released movies on their own discs. What Sony and other companies do is make everything specific to their console, in an attempt to prevent people from using what they already own and force them to buy proprietary products at an inflated price. Nintendo's just dodging costs to themselves, not imposing more on the customer.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Elaborating more on what i had said I'll use an example.I currently have Xfinity which from my understanding have a system where if you reach 250GB in a month twice (meaning 250GB say january and then again in Feb)you are basically blacklisted and have no internet for the rest of the year.Now say this were to happen.A BR disc is about 25Gb or so with DL-BR being around 50GB.So, say they make all their games DL-BR,I would only be able to download 5 Games in one month.Some people get more then that in a month it happens so say I did it twice I lose internet.Not to mention how long it would take to download a game depending on my speed and how many other people are downloading the same game.I just can't see this happening with consoles,not now at least.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If xbox stops having physical media I'll just give up on the xbox, same goes for any other console... I hate digital retail games, indie and stuff it's ok, but big name games I like having them on display on my collection, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc, etc... I often enjoy grabbing a copy of an old game from my shelf, like Sonic for the Mega Drive and play it, digital stuff isn't very trustworthy regarding it's future life and stuff.

I think it's implied that they'd use an alternative to an optical disc drive and use some sort of flash based cartridge system, depending on how much the development and manufacturing costs of a new storage medium, it might actually be a good idea to do something like that instead of using slow loading discs and mechanical drives.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yea... cause when nintendos console stopped using carts, its suddenly cool enough of the other guys eh?

though im not getting this new console before 2020, i fear for the prices this will cause...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Getting rid of disk drive =/= getting rid of physical media.

Personally i'd much rather see a console with a huge hard drive and 100% digital media, but meh, that's because i'm too lazy to go out and buy games. The amount of games I enjoy owning physical copies of are pretty limited. Tales games, visual novels and Atlus games are some of the few.
Based on the rumor, if it's true, MS has no intention of dropping physical media. I'm not sure how anyone read THAT. If you could quote where it says that, that'd be nice.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Personally i'd much rather see a console with a huge hard drive and 100% digital media, but meh, that's because i'm too lazy to go out and buy games. The amount of games I enjoy owning physical copies of are pretty limited. Tales games, visual novels and Atlus games are some of the few.
Based on the rumor, if it's true, MS has no intention of dropping physical media. I'm not sure how anyone read THAT. If you could quote where it says that, that'd be nice.

Nearly everyone in the west lacks the fast internet to warrant a download only home console, handhelds may work, can you imagine downloading a 10, 15, or 20 GB game off of live, it would take around 1/4 to half a day, you would need 8-10 mb/s net to make that worth your while.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Nearly everyone in the west lacks the fast internet to warrant a download only home console, handhelds may work, can you imagine downloading a 10, 15, or 20 GB game off of live, it would take around 1/4 to half a day, you would need 8-10 mb/s net to make that worth your while.

Dunno about the US, but here internet is pretty cheap. 10mb/s is easily attainable if MS did a proper job of hosting the content. They'd DEFINITELY need to improve that. Right now their download speeds are atrocious for demos and such.
If a F2P juggernaut like Ijji can get me downloading something at 20mb/s before I ever even upgraded my internet...MS can easily do the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol