RUMOR: Nintendo wants RARE back

EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Last night an anoymous tipster informed ZeldaInformer that Nintendo are in negotiations with Microsoft to buy the legendary developer RARE back, RARE was purchased by Microsoft back in 2002 for almost half a billion dollars.

The reason behind this is that apparently Nintendo first party developer, Retro Studios (Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns) are deep in development of a new Banjo Kazooie game with the propsed purchase being made for the intension of owning the IP. It should be noted that these apparent talks have been happening for quite some time now.

If RARE was to be sold back to Nintendo alongside Banjo Kazzoie would be franchises like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Source http://www.zeldainfo...ip-of-banjo-and

Auyx

GBAtemp's Unofficial Sanic impersonator
Trophies
XP
Country
This is the biggest bag of bullshit I have ever heard. Rare are the cornerstone of microsoft's casual business. They are key players in new tech and have expanded to two sites recently with the explicit purpose of pushing there Kinect successor. Why do you think Bigpark was in on Kinect Sports 2, to free them up for next gen.

Reactions: 1 person

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is the biggest bag of bullshit I have ever heard. Rare are the cornerstone of microsoft's casual business. They are key players in new tech and have expanded to two sites recently with the explicit purpose of pushing there Kinect successor. Why do you think Bigpark was in on Kinect Sports 2, to free them up for next gen.
That is only nowadays.
Back in the good old days RARE used to make some of the best games around.

One can only dream of the days when RARE comes back and makes good games again.

EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Microsoft doesn't need RARE to make Kinect Sports and for all we know this could just end up with Nintendo owning Banjo Kazooie and nothing else

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Rare has definitely made quality games in the past decade.

Besides, they're pretty entrenched in Microsoft, I'm pretty sure they handle all their avatar related stuff. They certainly can't get Crytek UK (which is as close as you get to the remnants of Rare).

Should've gotten Free Radical when they were going under. Just saying.

Reactions: 2 people

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A company name isn't everything, it's mostly the people behind it.
Many people already left RARE, just imagine nintendo without shigeru miyamoto, koji kondo, ...!

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Rare isn't the same company anymore since most members left, a former rare member recently said that Microsoft fucked everything that was left over, yeah Rare is pretty bad now a days.

I really hope that this rumor is just about getting the IP's back and not Rare the company.

lufere7

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Read it earlier but I somewhat doubt it, considering the source. But if it is indeed true I hope that what Nintendo wants to get back are their IPs since the good RARE is pretty much gone. i would like seeing Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Jet Force Gemini, etc on Nintendo's hands

D

Deleted_171835

Zelda Informer are full of shit and are just making up stuff for hits.

Rare as we knew it is dead and Banjo Kazooie is nowhere near as important a franchise as Nintendo's own Donkey Kong and Mario. What a pile of horseshit.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad, because according to Grant Kirkhope (in an interview on Arecibo Radio), the biggest reason why Rare died is because Microsoft no longer allowed them to make games as they saw fit. Instead, Microsoft forced the developer to make what Microsoft thought would sell. Dunno how many of the original team are still at the Microsoft-Rare, but if they were unshackled, they probably could get some decent stuff out again.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One can only dream. Sadly, the days of the RARE we all know and love are gone, and nothing can bring that back.

Considering most of the old Rare staff work at Retro Studios, I honestly don't see how this deal could be a bad thing. Yes, maybe it won't be like the glory days of the N64 but the body of work by the folks at Retro Studios does speak for itself, with multiple outings of quality games since the Rare days.

Personally, I'd love to see a new Banjo Kazooie game that is more true to the original games, though with more fluid controls. Nuts and Bolts was so mediocre compared to Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. Also, remakes of the first two games would have me drooling out both sides of my mouth.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
One can only dream. Sadly, the days of the RARE we all know and love are gone, and nothing can bring that back.

Considering most of the old Rare staff work at Retro Studios, I honestly don't see how this deal could be a bad thing. Yes, maybe it won't be like the glory days of the N64 but the body of work by the folks at Retro Studios does speak for itself, with multiple outings of quality games since the Rare days.

Personally, I'd love to see a new Banjo Kazooie game that is more true to the original games, though with more fluid controls. Nuts and Bolts was so mediocre compared to Banjo Kazooie/Tooie. Also, remakes of the first two games would have me drooling out both sides of my mouth.

Calling Nuts and Bolts mediocre would be an insult to mediocre games everywhere.

Though, as JonTron said, seeing as there was an entire open world that you could explore, but not much else, it looks like N&B was Threeie before it was turned into a game where you build cars out of awful looking Lego.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended