Rumor Nintendo Tweaked Wii U to Run Unreal Engine 4

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HD may not have been "affordable" when the consoles first released (one reason why Nintendo didn't go HD with the Wii), but that affordability came sooner than they expected, giving owners of the other consoles enjoyment at that time while not emptying out their pockets as quickly.
I was sort of making a joke, but yeah, I suppose you're right. ;)

Still, Wii was barely an upgrade from the Gamecube, you gotta admit that. ;)

Oh, I know you were making a joke. I was just adding some input for those who might have wondered, since Nintendo didn't go that route in the first place. And yes, the Wii was not much of an upgrade from the GC. Guess most of their R&D went into motion controls.
I've noticed that whenever Nintendo pulls out the big guns and releases a remarkably strong console for its time, it always has a fatal flaw, one that renders the entire effort pointless and the investment wasted. It was the case with the Virtual Boy and its sheer bulk, the Nintendo 64 and its cartridge medium, the Gamecube and its miniDVD drive, among other issues... Or am I the only one who noticed that?

Cartridges a fatal flaw on the N64?

How old are you exactly?

The N64 was a contender against the PS1 no problem, in fact, I'd probably call those two a draw. Yes, while the PS1 had good graphics (I thought they personally looked too much like shit and too pixelly and was a complete mess), the N64 had blazing fast load times, and the games actually weren't that bad looking and were a lot more fun than what you can find on the PS1. Conkers Bad Fur Day for example.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, but you forget that the PS2 had more than 6 years lead on the Wii. I don't know if you're trying to say the Wii has done good or otherwise because the Wii has sold over 95 million units where as the PS3 has only sold around 60 million units, of which about 10% were replacements for failed hardware. I do think that Nintendo will be behind the curve once the other Next Gen consoles are released but I think that curve isn't as sharp as it used to be with graphic and processing technology coming to a relative slow down.
What I meant with it is that being a success this gen doesn't account to an automatic success in the next gen. The Wii is doing great so far, but it doesn't mean the WiiU will be an automatic success. There are a lot of variables there from prices to customer value and reception in general. We'll just have to wait and see once the final specs have been released. Otherwise all the talk is just pure speculation for and against the WiiU..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd probably call those two a draw.
No. Don't be ridiculous. I realize this is the GBAtemp but try being objective here. The PlayStation sold about 4 times as well as the N64, it had 2031 games more then the N64, it lasted longer then the N64 and its disc medium was more affordable and had a larger capacity then the FLASH medium of the N64 (which in those times was not cheap to manufacture, by the way). I'm not going to derail this thread anywhere past the "you're wrong and I know it pains you to hear that but you just are" point.

This is not a beauty contest but an objective comparison of the two.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No. Don't be ridiculous. I realize this is the GBAtemp but try being objective here. The PlayStation sold about 4 times as well as the N64, it had 2031 games more then the N64, it lasted longer then the N64 and its disc medium was more affordable and had a larger capacity then the FLASH medium of the N64 (which in those times was not cheap to manufacture, by the way). I'm not going to derail this thread anywhere past the "you're wrong and I know it pains you to hear that but you just are" point.

Perhaps his intentions aren't about sales figures? You're jumping the gun a bit. He feels N64 is a superior choice for him as better graphics, faster loading times over higher storage medium thus more content for PS1. Fairly reasonable.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you're right, the N64 did have little RAM and VRAM, didn't it...? I don't think it suffered from slow loading times though - cartridges are generally much faster then discs, especially back then. That said... A CD is 650MB's, a cartridge back then was up to 250 if I remember right. Same deal with miniDVD's - 4,7GB vs 1,4GB single-sided single-layered and you have a clear winner right there.

To my understanding, I believe PSX games often reached 650MB, as opposed to the N64's 256MBit or 64MB. The fact the Capcom ported Resident Evil 2 with FMVs intact on the N64 was miraculous.

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You're point is moot. Just because something has a bigger library or sales more, does not mean it's better lol, you should have learned learned that before the N64 came out. Yes, the disc media had a larger capacity, but does that mean that it was still used best? No. Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 looks like shit, same with Silent Hill and others just to name a few. I'm not saying that the N64 had better graphics, but sometimes trying to do too much makes it worse. The N64 had a ton of great games and even just a few of them were far better than the entire PS1 library.

I'm not denying the shortcomings of the N64, I'm saying, that a lot of times, they worked out better than what the PS1 had in a lot of cases. Graphics aren't everything, that's why Nintendo is still around. They don't focus on that, and instead on rely on giving us the best experience possible. And if I have to accept a little graphical drop but it still looks amazing, in turn for blazing fast load times and amazing imaginative games, I'd gladly accept.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The PSX was a market success, while the N64 wasn't. Sony attracted all "mature" public by releasing games which weren't released in consoles back in time. N64 was superior in rendering and graphics, but every add-on bought was stupidly expensive. I love the N64, but the lack of more games, expensive cartridge development (overall development) and price-tag caused to cease all N64 related production and invest on newer hardware. (GC)

In terms of quality, the N64 had some epic games, but PSX too. BTW, have you noticed how important is the 3rd party software support today? They can save big companies asses.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're point is moot.
Not in the opinion of +/- 130 million PS1 users.
Just because something has a bigger library...
If you're trying to say that +/- 2400 games is somehow worse then +/- 370 games then I have to warn you that the probability of finding "good" games is much higher when you have a larger library.
or sales more
I was convinced that it's humans who buy consoles - sales don't just grow on their own. If a console sells it means there's a market for it.
does not mean it's better lol
"Better" is a subjective term. If it's any consolation to you then judging from the ammount of PS1 users the N64 was shoeshining PS1's shoes.
you should have learned learned that before the N64 came out.
Before the N64 came out, the SNES and the Genesis were going head to head when it comes to sales, and guess what, they offer roughly the same quality of gaming. Their "console war" was never resolved and up to this day you'll have hardcore Genesis fans and hardcore SNES fans, their numbers are roughly equal too.
Yes, the disc media had a larger capacity, but does that mean that it was still used best?
Yes, the CD's have higher capacity, but does that mean that it was utilized worse then in the case of cartidges? Butter is butterly - that's a stupid argument. You either have capacity or you don't, the rest depends on the developer. The horrible thing about the N64 was that it was more powerful specs wise but all the content had to be compressed to fit the cartridge - the games on the console would be twice as spacious and twice as pretty if the ROM size limitation wasn't there.
Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 looks like shit, same with Silent Hill and others just to name a few.
I personally like pepperoni, I also prefer Coca Cola over Pepsi, unfortunatelly my subjective feelings are not influencing the argument, nor should they even be included in it. We can only consider the factual pros and cons of each console, and in that kind of a comparison the N64 loses flat out on the first lap, sorry.
I'm not saying that the N64 had better graphics,
Actually it had in some instances simply because it was beefier, unfortunatelly the RAM issues and the medium were slowing it down. Were it released with a CD drive and with the "Expansion Pak" stock, things would look dramatically different.
but sometimes trying to do too much makes it worse.
Judging from the sheer ammount of add-ons the Nintendo 64 had, I'd say it's Nintendo who tried too had at times. This isn't even limited to the N64 - they've always released a bunch of useless crap for their consoles, Nihil Novi.
The N64 had a ton of great games and even just a few of them were far better than the entire PS1 library.
With which you are of course familiar with and thus you have a say in the matter...?
I'm not denying the shortcomings of the N64, I'm saying, that a lot of times, they worked out better than what the PS1 had in a lot of cases.
A short-comming can't "work out better" - it's a flaw. You just deal with it.
Graphics aren't everything,
N64 had better graphics then the PS1.
that's why Nintendo is still around.
Nintendo is actually known for releasing powerful home consoles - the NES revived the market single-handedly and ate ATARI's for breakfast, the SNES was on-par with the Genesis and sufficient specs-wise, the N64 was more powerful then the PS1 but sold less and had a smaller library due to certain design flaws, in other words, it was released before it was well thought-through just to compete, the Gamecube was also way more powerful then the PS2, it's just that some jackass thought it's a great idea to use a format as weird as miniDVD and cut multimedia functionality when "media hubs" were at the peak of their popularity. The only instances where Nintendo hardware was "poor" spec-wise were most of their handhelds and the Wii, and it's just like that to this day.
They don't focus on that, and instead on rely on giving us the best experience possible.
Graphics and size of the content are parts of the experience. Moreover, Nintendo has only influence over first-party and second-party titles - the rest of your so-called "experience" is created by third-party developers, that being the great majority of developers by the way, who have to make-due with what the hardware company offered them to work with. This is why you have Dragon Age and Skyrim on the 360 and not on the Wii - because the Wii isn't nearly as capable and Nintendo knew they're releasing obselete hardware on Day 1. What they also knew is that there are people out there, people like you, who will buy the console anyways. They were also aware of the fact that if they market it as a family-friendly platform, it'll be #1 on every single parent's list on Christmas and other holidays, and thus they made humongous sales with hardware that was 5 years behind its times. I'd know - I bought one. Fair play, I enjoyed what it had to offer but soon enough after the developers stopped being all crazy about motion controls and the novelty factor was gone all that was left was shovelware - nobody wants to develop games for a console that simply doesn't give you wiggle room. If you can't spread your wings, you ain't gonna fly.
And if I have to accept a little graphical drop but it still looks amazing, in turn for blazing fast load times and amazing imaginative games, I'd gladly accept.
Consider this - graphically amazing and imaginative games. Welcome to the world of PS1 and PS2 - where were you all this time?

I'm not really going to argue with you further - there's a saying around here that you don't dispute about tastes, I just want you to be truthful to yourself, compare the two consoles objectively looking at them from every angle and not through the pink glasses of nostalgia and loving particular franchises but look at them for what they truly are and then determine which one was the superior at the time. You can't just look at one aspect, you have to look at all of them - specs, library, sales, controls (oh yeah, dual analog on the PS1, did I mention that? And a controller that's not a batarang), graphics, multimedia capacity (CD medium ---> CD player. No CD medium, no multimedia capacity) and so on and so forth.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the whole issue of N64 VS PS1... Thank god I owned them both! Golden Eye, F-Zero X, Mario 64, Tekken, SOTN, Road Rash couldn't imagine not playing them all.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh god I was about to get involved in this but... no.

I'll just reinforce the fact that extremely low RAM and storage space, combined with a problematic dev kit and a competitor with none of these flaws was absolutely what drove developers away from the N64, which in turn prevented it getting a large number of games, which in turn resulted in it's poor sales, which were much worse than the PS1.

It was more powerful than the PS1 though. The reason the PS1 sometimes seems more advanced is because the devs had 650MB of space to fill with pre-rendered backgrounds and voice acting.

Edit: Why is the guy arguing for the N64 making excuses for it's graphical capabilities? The N64's graphics were it's only saving grace. If you want to list the N64 up as better than the PS1, the graphics are one of the only aspects you have at your disposal. Pssh.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that second and third developers found how to use the measly 4KB of texture cache to their advantage was a very smart move. Factor 5 was one of them, and the N64 version of Indiana Jones and the Internal Machine ended up being more graphically advanced than the PC port. Then there's World Driver Championship, which had a polygon count higher than the average PSX game, had an MP3 soundtrack and widescreen support, all without an expansion pack. How that company pulled off such a feat is beyond me. The N64 was a very powerful machine.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're point is moot.
Not in the opinion of +/- 130 million PS1 users.
Just because something has a bigger library...
If you're trying to say that +/- 2400 games is somehow worse then +/- 370 games then I have to warn you that the probability of finding "good" games is much higher when you have a larger library.
or sales more
I was convinced that it's humans who buy consoles - sales don't just grow on their own. If a console sells it means there's a market for it.
does not mean it's better lol
"Better" is a subjective term. If it's any consolation to you then judging from the ammount of PS1 users the N64 was shoeshining PS1's shoes.
you should have learned learned that before the N64 came out.
Before the N64 came out, the SNES and the Genesis were going head to head when it comes to sales, and guess what, they offer roughly the same quality of gaming. Their "console war" was never resolved and up to this day you'll have hardcore Genesis fans and hardcore SNES fans, their numbers are roughly equal too.
Yes, the disc media had a larger capacity, but does that mean that it was still used best?
Yes, the CD's have higher capacity, but does that mean that it was utilized worse then in the case of cartidges? Butter is butterly - that's a stupid argument. You either have capacity or you don't, the rest depends on the developer. The horrible thing about the N64 is that it was more powerful specs wise but all the content had to be compressed to fit the cartridge - the games on the console would be twice as spacious and twice as pretty if the ROM size limitation wasn't there.
Personally, I think Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 looks like shit, same with Silent Hill and others just to name a few.
I personally like pepperoni, I also prefer Coca Cola over Pepsi, unfortunatelly my subjective feelings are not influencing the argument, nor should they even be included in it. We can only consider the factual pros and cons of each console, and in that kind of a comparison the N64 loses flat out on the first lap, sorry.
I'm not saying that the N64 had better graphics,
Actually it had in some instances simply because it was beefier, unfortunatelly the RAM issues and the medium were slowing it down. Were it released with a CD drive and with the "Expansion Pak" stock, things would look dramatically different.
but sometimes trying to do too much makes it worse.
Judging from the sheer ammount of add-ons the Nintendo 64 had, I'd say it's Nintendo who tried too had at times. This isn't even limited to the N64 - they've always released a bunch of useless crap for their consoles, Nihil Novi.
The N64 had a ton of great games and even just a few of them were far better than the entire PS1 library.
With which you are of course familiar with and thus you have a say in the matter...?
I'm not denying the shortcomings of the N64, I'm saying, that a lot of times, they worked out better than what the PS1 had in a lot of cases.
A short-comming can't "work out better" - it's a flaw. You just deal with it.
Graphics aren't everything,
N64 had better graphics then the PS1.
that's why Nintendo is still around.
Nintendo is actually known for releasing powerful home consoles - the NES revived the market single-handedly and ate ATARI's for breakfast, the SNES was on-par with the Genesis and sufficient specs-wise, the N64 was more powerful then the PS1 but sold less and had a smaller library due to certain design flaws, in other words, it was released before it was well thought-through just to compete, the Gamecube was also way more powerful then the PS2, it's just that some jackass thought it's a great idea to use a format as weird as miniDVD and cut multimedia functionality when "media hubs" were at the peak of their popularity. The only instances where Nintendo hardware was "poor" spec-wise were most of their handhelds and the Wii, and it's just like that to this day.
They don't focus on that, and instead on rely on giving us the best experience possible.
Graphics and size of the content are parts of the experience. Moreover, Nintendo has only influence over first-party and second-party titles - the rest of your so-called "experience" is created by third-party developers, that being the great majority of developers by the way, who have to make-due with what the hardware company offered them to work with. This is why you have Dragon Age and Skyrim on the 360 and not on the Wii - because the Wii isn't nearly as capable and Nintendo knew they're releasing obselete hardware on Day 1. What they also knew is that there are people out there, people like you, who will buy the console anyways. They were also aware of the fact that if they market it as a family-friendly platform, it'll be #1 on every single parent's list on Christmas and other holidays, and thus they made humongous sales with hardware that was 5 years behind its times. I'd know - I bought one. Fair play, I enjoyed what it had to offer but soon enough after the developers stopped being all crazy about motion controls and the novelty factor was gone all that was left was shovelware - nobody wants to develop games for a console that simply doesn't give you wiggle room. If you can't spread your wings, you ain't gonna fly.
And if I have to accept a little graphical drop but it still looks amazing, in turn for blazing fast load times and amazing imaginative games, I'd gladly accept.
Consider this - graphically amazing and imaginative games. Welcome to the world of PS1 and PS2 - where were you all this time?

I'm not really going to argue with you further - there's a saying around here that you don't dispute about tastes, I just want you to be truthful to yourself, compare the two consoles objectively looking at them from every angle and not through the pink glasses of nostalgia and loving particular franchises but look at them for what they truly are and then determine which one was the superior at the time. You can't just look at one aspect, you have to look at all of them - specs, library, sales, controls (oh yeah, dual analog on the PS1, did I mention that? And a controller that's not a batarang), graphics, multimedia capacity (CD medium ---> CD player. No CD medium, no multimedia capacity) and so on and so forth.

I'm not reading all of your post, it's a fucking mess. So I'm just going to glance over it, and post to what I find interesting:

First of all, again, a bigger library does not mean better games. Like I said, you should know that with history in gaming. Looking at the Wii, Atari consoles and everything, more games does not mean better. Dual analog? I HAAAATE dual analog.

A short coming is not always a flaw you idiot. Did the N64 have discs? No. It had flash memory. Because it didn't have disc, it meant that it had ridiculously fast load times, which I'd gladly settle over for.

This is why you have Dragon Age and Skyrim on the 360 and not on the Wii - because the Wii isn't nearly as capable and Nintendo knew they're releasing obselete hardware on Day 1. What they also knew is that there are people out there, people like you, who will buy the console anyways
Do you know why I buy Nintendo consoles? Because they're fun and don't try to be realistic. They offer experiences, graphic wise or not, that appeal to me sooo much more than what Microsoft and Sony have been able to do.

I just want you to be truthful to yourself, compare the two consoles objectively looking at them from every angle and not through the pink glasses of nostalgia and loving particular franchises but look at them for what they truly are and then determine which one was the superior at the time

Just because something has superior hardware and everything, does not mean it's better. We've been over this in another thread. Superior means which console offered you the best gaming experience, and since it's a fucking OPINION, you can't say that the PS1 was better than the N64, or the PS2 was better than the GC. Go look at our posts. In your posts, you say that the PS1/PS2 were the much better consoles. Now go look at mine? Did I say anywhere that one was better than the other? I said one was a draw, that's it. So hopefully with you reading this (and hopefully you going back and re-reading your posts), hopefully you will come to realize that you gotta stop posting your opinions as fact and not freak out and get all butthurt when someone disagrees with your opinion.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that second and third developers found how to use the measly 4KB of texture cache to their advantage was a very smart move. Factor 5 was one of them, and the N64 version of Indiana Jones and the Internal Machine ended up being more graphically advanced than the PC port. Then there's World Driver Championship, which had a polygon count higher than the average PSX game, had an MP3 soundtrack and widescreen support, all without an expansion pack. How that company pulled off such a feat is beyond me. The N64 was a very powerful machine.

That and Star Wars on the N64 was a graphics whores wet dream at the time, Factor 5 just didn't know the meaning of "limitations" must have been some mad genius working there.

The N64 had graphics on its side and to be honest it had its share of utter classic games, where it not for a few near legendary games I would call the N64 a complete bomb. In fact it was bad enough that I skipped the GC and went with DC and PS2 for that gen, oddly enough this worked out great since I picked up a couple of Wii's this gen and 4 wavebirds plus a truck load of old GC games I missed for next to nothing (I mean really some games I got for under 2$ used lol) It was almost like getting a GC for free for me. Now if only I could travel back in time and kill myself before I bought F-Zero GX.... Holy hell I hate that game (Oddly enough I love every other F-Zero ever made, and almost everyone I have talked too said it was awesome...)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@[member='ShadowSoldier']

A short coming is not always a flaw you idiot.

Oh really?

Okay, but again, with the way it worked out, the flash based cartridge system worked out in the end. So it's kind of hard to call it a "flaw" when something good came out of it. Does that not mean that the flaw is cancelled out?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh really?

Okay, but again, with the way it worked out, the flash based cartridge system worked out in the end. So it's kind of hard to call it a "flaw" when something good came out of it. Does that not mean that the flaw is cancelled out?

Except that (costly, I should add) shortcoming meant that developers were less willing/able to make games for the console, leading many to jump ship (Square most notably). Some faster load times are nice, but there's no denying that this effectively crippled the console's life span; I would hardly call that cancelling out.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh really?

Except that (costly, I should add) shortcoming meant that developers were less willing/able to make games for the console, leading many to jump ship (Square most notably). Some faster load times are nice, but there's no denying that this effectively crippled the console's life span; I would hardly call that cancelling out.

Not really crippling it. Lasted 5-6 years just like the PS1 did before the successors. No different than now with the Wii being 2006, WiiU being 2012. PS2 was the same age when PS3 came out. Aside from square, I can't really think of anybody big who was like "eh, no to N64".

I'd also like to point out that, on the N64 wikipedia, it said cartridges were more expensive, thus us consumers had to pay more. But I don't think I've ever paid for a game above 60, just like today. The only game I didn't know how much my parents paid for were Ocarina of Time. But I remember seeing it and all the others at display for $49.99.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol