Rumor: Nintendo to Unlock More 3DS Power for Developers

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
25% of the second core, not of total power. If the second core is dedicated to WiFi naturally, it's not like it's gotta' be that powerful. After all in the DS the ARM7 was used for WiFi, same sort of scenario (which is likely where this rumor came from)... And Nintendo allowing something like this that would knowingly degrade WiFi? A decrease in processing power like this does no translate to a decrease in range or anything like that, it would translate to dropped packets, meaning disconnects and online games not functioning properly. Why the hell would Nintendo allow that?

As presented, this story is bullshit. Now whether Nintendo's unlocking more power or not I cannot say, but the story as given is bull.

Given that it may affect the communication functions, it could be optional to games which won't use any sort of communication activity and hence they could use that extra processing power. This is all romours as of yet so yeah.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If a core's naturally dedicated to WiFi, I really don't think it's going to be powerful enough to make any sort of difference (especially not if it's just 25% of it).
What if they are two equal cores and so the other core is pretty beefed. Like those rumours say they run at 266mhz each.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If a core's naturally dedicated to WiFi
But why are you assuming the other core is dedicated solely to WiFi? All hardware estimates say the cores are symmetrical, and the second core is the same as the one that runs the game. In which case, the WiFi only takes up a fraction of its processing cycles.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this wasn't done from the outset because...?

I don't know, this doesn't seem all that likely. And if it is the case, that still isn't going to solve the whole "lack of games" problem.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It COULD mean upclocking the GPU not the cpu! this would make a whole lot more sense.
Except the GPU wouldn't be used for WiFi, so the info is still mismatched.

That's another thing I forgot to mention that adds to this rumor not sounding right at all.

It's like every aspect of this rumor is different.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
25% of the second core, not of total power. If the second core is dedicated to WiFi naturally, it's not like it's gotta' be that powerful. After all in the DS the ARM7 was used for WiFi, same sort of scenario (which is likely where this rumor came from)... And Nintendo allowing something like this that would knowingly degrade WiFi? A decrease in processing power like this does no translate to a decrease in range or anything like that, it would translate to dropped packets, meaning disconnects and online games not functioning properly. Why the hell would Nintendo allow that?

As presented, this story is bullshit. Now whether Nintendo's unlocking more power or not I cannot say, but the story as given is bull.
second this

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Just a thought: Not all games necessarily need/can even use WiFi? Some games are solely single player with possible friend code enabled features (free stuff?). If you don't have any need for that feature at a certain point, disabling excess features to boost performance could be useful on the long run. Not saying this is probable and the absolute fact (ie you aren't wrong), but the possibility is still there.

-Qtis

ps. Off-Topic and not related to Rydians post: Were has all this hating in 'temp come from? Don't remember so much bashing/trolling a few years ago.. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Because sometimes improvements don't come until after the release? Has everyone forgotten about how early PS3 games used only a couple SPEs out of the 6 that are now available to developers? There is a bit of complexity that gets added to the system when additional CPUs (even part of one) are thrown into the equation, and without proper testing, it could lead to problems. SM3DL could very well have been part of a test to see how well this set-up would work, and since it seems it does work well, they are now ready to allow others to take advantage of it.

If it didn't work well, but they threw it into the SDK anyways, you think developers would be happy about it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If a core's naturally dedicated to WiFi
But why are you assuming the other core is dedicated solely to WiFi? All hardware estimates say the cores are symmetrical, and the second core is the same as the one that runs the game. In which case, the WiFi only takes up a fraction of its processing cycles.
Missed this post earlier, my bad.

The rumors talk like the second core (or whatever core is used for WiFi) isn't used for games currently.

Just a thought: Not all games necessarily need/can even use WiFi? Some games are solely single player with possible friend code enabled features (free stuff?). If you don't have any need for that feature at a certain point, disabling excess features to boost performance could be useful on the long run. Not saying this is probable and the absolute fact (ie you aren't wrong), but the possibility is still there.
That's possible, I don't think it's plausible with Nintendo. They don't do this sort of thing last I checked.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this is a brilliant idea. As long as the console doesn't get hacked (sue me GBAtemp community), I support this. It talks about less strain on the CPU, does that mean longer battery life when playing some titles?

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Er, this is talking about MORE CPU usage.

and inadvertently lowering battery life, heating the system more (they do get warm after a good session already) and ditching WIFI to use it.
This makes sense only if (*crosses fingers and wishes*) they are about to release a new 3DS version with better battery and heatsink.!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and inadvertently lowering battery life, heating the system more (they do get warm after a good session already) and ditching WIFI to use it.
This makes sense only if (*crosses fingers and wishes*) they are about to release a new 3DS version with better battery and heatsink.!
:lol:

Quite frankly, that makes less sense,since that would screw certain and future owners (at Christmas).

How are you holding/playing your 3ds? I experience no heat up.
Unless you mean your own hands...which isn't the system fault.

At least this rumor sounds possible, even if it is not plausible.
It even says less strain on cpu by the stereoscopic display.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Er, this is talking about MORE CPU usage.

If they have found a way to make put less strain on CPU, it kinda evens it out, although you most likely get a lower battery performance. Anyway we don't know how the second core is set up. Is it solely intended for networking or was it planned in advanced as a backup so developers could use that extra processing, if so it would have been made to be more capable of supporting, processing game data and Wifi communication at the same time.

However 25% is big chunk, If it is a fully fledged core then hopefully WiFi communication should be handled by the second core. It it isn't then I suppose Nintendo wouldn't unlock it as 3DS is meant to be utilising features like streetpass while playing games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte