Rumor: Nintendo planning on buying Sega!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Depends on the price of the company though not sure what Sega is worth but it can't be too expensive (speaking in corporate terms.)
You would be quite suprised - SEGA's not only a software developer, they also hold the Arcade market with an iron fist and as far as I know, they're doing just fine.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I for one would love to see this happen and would love to see Nintendo pull back some dated classics and revive them, such a Monster Boy, Zillion, Alex Kidd, and the like.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A franchise with two games that has been dead for years. Break out those wallets Nintendo, you've got a cash cow waiting to be milked!

You said 15 years. Now you are making excuses.
Shenmue is technically a worthless IP. Had they have made a Shenmue 3, even if it was multiformat, it still wouldn't have made any profit at all for anyone, hence why there hasn't been a Shenmue 3. Sega has made some stupid decisions in the past but not continuing the franchise isn't one of them.

Personally I think it's one of those games that gameplay wise has aged horrifically, I loved it "back in the day" but when I played it a month ago I could not see why I did. It was so fucking tedious, I wanted to eat my own head I was so bored.

Sega could be a good investment only for the Sammy side which Nintendo could easily get back to being huge again.

As for Nintendo taking forgotten titles and getting their own teams onto them...no fucking way. Nintendo have enough on with many titles they plan (some of which never get continued) or that may come out and with people going "wah wah I want F-Zero/Metroid/Mother/StarFox etc" then to then deal with "wah wah I want new games in mediocre series like Altered Beast/Alex Kidd/Shenmue/Sonic Adventure/Shinobi etc", games which have no chance against Nintendo's own titles.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who suspects that if ninty buys sega, we are in for another Bayonetta fiasco?
What I mean by this is the sonic the hedgehog 4 episodes have been great games on mobile platforms, however, if Nintendo purchased Sega, the next episodes would most likely be released only on Nintendo platforms yes?

Then it would be like the Rareware situation, where Sega can only develop for Nintendo HOME consoles
And Sega can continue making 3rd party games for the mobile market.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I now will have nightmares about such a thing happening for the rest of my life.

A better fit and a cheaper buy would be for Disney to pick up Sony. The whole movie division thing and it would neatly package up more of the Marvel rights under one roof.

Then Disney could have a huge digital distribution channel for its media, Sony would kind of win being able to offer Disney products on its PSN... Really wouldn't be a bad deal for either of them.

OK now I will have nightmares... God of War 4 featuring Mickey Mouse as Kratos's most dangerous foe yet!!!

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know a new PSO is coming out right.
PSO isn't what I meant by wanting a "single player Phantasy star." I was thinking more along the lines of what the genesis had. A good single player sci-fi JRPG would be nice to have now that star ocean is kind of done now.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not, Nintendo is known for keeping it's old IP's alive. Why not bring Alex Kid and Wonder Boy into the next Brawler game? I could see it happening.

Star Fox and F-Zero sure are strong, aren't they?

EDIT: And even when they do bring back an "obscure IP" (like Kid Icarus) they completely redesign it so it resembles nothing of the original game minus the name. Although in all fairness the old Kid Icarus games are awful so who could blame them for making a game that's completely different.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Star Fox and F-Zero sure are strong, aren't they?

EDIT: And even when they do bring back an "obscure IP" (like Kid Icarus) they completely redesign it so it resembles nothing of the original game minus the name. Although in all fairness the old Kid Icarus games are awful so who could blame them for making a game that's completely different.

I wish they brought F-Zero back. God I miss that franchise.

I doubt this will happen. Actually, I KNOW this won't happen. But if it did... plz make Vectorman U.

Reactions: Eerpow

Crimsonclaw111

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All is going according to Nintendo's plan. Now Bayonetta and Vanquish will be Nintendo IPs, Sam and Bayonetta will be in Smash 4, and we'll all be happy. :creep:

Nintendo should seriously buy Platinum instead though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol