RUMOR: Nintendo DSi to have GBA/GB Downloadable Games!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rock Raiyu, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I don’t know about this one, but my inbox is on fire with this tip. This information is said to have come from a Club Nintendo DSi event…

News Source: GoNintendo

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I think it really is true
    But I won't be getting a DSi so it isn't relevant to me.

If it is true, maybe someone should hack the software for running the games to enable flashcarts to run GBA games without expansion?
    Not sure if thats possible though

3. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No, it's not possible to run GBA games without the expansion. EVER. They DSI basically has the expansion built into it. That's how the web browser can work so well.

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    That's a pretty easy guess. With the Virtual Console on the Wii, this isn't too surprising. I am not really interested in this though. I have all the GBA-games I want (except for Rhythm Tengoku which I'll buy soon) and I don't like the idea of downloading for money [​IMG]

5. Styles420

Member Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't know how they'd do the emulation - they got rid of slot-2 and the internal GBA hardware, so either this rumor is false, or the DSi has received a major upgrade to be able to handle emulation of GBA (The current DS doesn't have what it takes to emulate GBA).

More likely, they're porting GBA games to the DS, basically reprogramming everything from the ground up. But they will no doubt be DSi specific, so DS users will still need an expansion pack for our GBA needs.

This is brilliant marketing on Nintendo's part - anyone who upgrades (term used loosely) to the DSi, and who also enjoyed playing their old GBA games on their DS, will now have to buy those games a second time to continue playing them.

6. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    It does have 4 times the RAM, which is one of the major limiting factors, and the processor speed is doubled. But as Nintendo has developed both the DSi and the GBA, they could just engineer a similar compatibility mode as with the GBA features of the DS, and, if necessary, adapt the GBA games' code to suit the DSi hardware.

7. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Those however, were already confirmed. GB/GBC games would be a great addition though.. hope it's true.

8. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    Worthless.Im still getting a DSi for the bigger screens, and keeping my DSlite, but GBA&GBC games belong emulated on the psp. [​IMG]

Maybe a workaroun will be revealed allowing users to dump these files, and use them on flashcarts or when the SDCard gets hacked somehow.(If it does get hacked)

9. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Definately. Play Golden Sun on your TV and then tell me how it is. Even on the PSP's 7 inch screen it looks AMAZING (not kidding).

Who says GS says any good GBA game. [​IMG]

But yeah, DSi + GBA = not so much.

10. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    If they did this, lets hope they'd add wireless multiplayer to the games, if not wifi. That was the only flaw in playing GBA on DS, it didn't support multiplayer.

Still, I doubt they'd do GBA actually. It seems a little far fetched to include a virtual handheld for a system that JUST died two years ago. Perhaps for any of these systems- GB, GBC, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color, Lynx, Gamegear, and Neogeo Pocket. GBA would be a great addition and MAY even persuade me to purchase a DSi, but I seriously doubt they'd do it.

I actually don't think this will happen at all, but we'll see. They did a VC with wii, AND conveniently left out all handheld games on the service. They could do the same here. But I still have my doubts.

I'll mention that this is really more realistically a dream thought up by the rabid fanboys of nostalgia (and I'm one too, so that's no insult). I frequent the DS board of Gamefaqs, and this very rumor is a hot topic over there. So don't think much of it until we get any confirmation.

11. Styles420

Member Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The GBA features of the DS are achieved basically by having the actual GBA chips in the DS - and that is the hardware they removed along with slot-2. So no, they can't "just engineer a similar compatibility mode as with the GBA features of the DS" because the compatibility hardware has been removed.

Also, four times the RAM might not be enough - the M3 GBA Expansion has 32 meg of RAM, but four times four meg is only 16 meg - half as much.

Finally, adapting the GBA games' code to suit the DSi hardware is pretty much the definition of porting, which is very different from emulating - they actually have to rewrite parts of the games themselves. Emulation involves writing a separate piece of software that reads the game code (unmodified) and translating it into code that the hardware can understand (Like running windows apps on a mac or linux machine - the app itself is not modified).

Nintendo developed both the DS and the N64, but they can't just engineer a compatibility mode for N64 on the DS. Super Mario 64 DS, for example, was completely rewritten from the ground up. The fact that two devices were designed by the same company has no bearing on what they can do with them, because the laws of physics and the limitations of the hardware are the same for everyone.

In conclusion, I still believe that they will have to port GBA titles to make them work - if we could compare a DSi download version of a GBA game to the original ROM, we'd find that the only thing to remain unchanged would be the graphics - and even those could likely be stored in a completely different format. The DSi will never be able to run true GBA roms the way the DS can, because the hardware has been removed. Even if the SD slot is hacked, the hardware will still be lacking. Porting is the only viable option.

12. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    Interesting, I must admit. But I can play downloaded GB/A games on my Lite already [​IMG]

13. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    I can't imagine it looking good on the TV being scaled to that size, but on the PSP it owns.I recently beat the first one, and am starting the second one which starts out in a light house.After playing the first one I hope that Capcom makes a new series with the same gameplay on the DS, but I highly doubt it will happen.

14. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    sorry but this recks of lie...

opera downloable? opera comes WITH the DSi... and free points? nah man... i dont belive that ONE bit.

15. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    They gave 1000 free points in Japan for every new DSi owner, I don't see why they wouldn't do it here too.
    In fact, I'm almost sure that NOA confirmed that already.

16. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    That's right. And Opera is NOT pre-loaded. At least on my Japanese DSi it wasn't... I had to download it.

17. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This has OH, EXPLOITABLE written all over it.

18. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    to my knowledge this "gba chip" is used in pretty much every DS game you play.
    with maybe the exception of some homebrew.

and besides, DS can't "emulate" N64 mainly because they use completely different cpu's
    the DS however runs on 1 GBA CPU and the followup of that CPU(and no, they didn't remove the GBA cpu in the DSi because that would prevent every existing DS game from running)

19. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

yeah this sounds like it will happen

20. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Well, I've almost given up on Nintendo. I'm about to sell my DS Lite (my main Nintendo Console). The good news is that I still have a phat DS that I think can be easily fixed in case I really want to play a DS game again. I'm 99% sure I'm not getting a DSi.