Rumor: Next Dual Touch DS Hitting Early Next Year?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by hova1, Aug 27, 2008.

Aug 27, 2008
  1. hova1
    OP

Member hova1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    http://kotaku.com/5042290/rumor-next-dual-...early-next-year

the rumors just don't stop. anyway IF it's true i hope it has better graphics than the PSP

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    graphics won't be that better

I can bet on that

3. knoxvillz

Member knoxvillz GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    it would also be very awkward playing with two touch screens

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    At most it'll be GameCube quality, Nintendo knows that it would sell really well even if its got the exact same hardware but two touchscreens.

That's if this is even remotely true.

5. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I was thinking what if they release a new DS that you have to update firmware for like PSP to try and stop piracy?

6. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    if they are releasing a new ds, release it soon befor xmas... sales will go up easily

7. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I agree. If the graphics were like even somewhat the GameCubes, it could possibly sell very well. But I don't see the point of 2 Touch Screens.

8. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The article says that the ANNOUNCEMENT is coming early next year. Which is smart, people would buy DS at Christmas.

9. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    naw the graphics won't be up to the gamecube.
    just estimate how the handhelds get better from gbc to gba, then gba to ds.
    really - on the DS, only the 3d got better.
    (2d graphics looks similar to gba's)
    will the 2d get better on the DS? (better resolution) or will the 3D even get better?
    will there be extra RAM, or multiprocessing, etc? Probably an internal memory for media? or actually, a strength of a PSP?

but maybe the graphics of the future DS games will look more sharp because of the larger screen.
    i'm afraid that the original DS games will be expanded on the "larger screen" making the quality suck shit.

but dual touch screen... well I don't know. This dual touch may kill the reasons of the buttons. well you never know.
    but I believe there will be a "lite" version of this new DS pretty soon. for sure. and i will wait for that.

one more thing - dual touch screen = death of the original DS. Why? well i guess you won't be able to play the games made for the dual touch screen on the original DSs. (well, duh?)
    that means the end of the DS is getting closer, and lets all have hopes up high to make sure the final game released for the DS will not be a retarded shovelware.

but before they do release a new DS, they should really compile all of the weaknesses of the current DS and consider them. (looking at the ds phat and the ds lite...)

10. HeatMan Advance

Member HeatMan Advance GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is just a rumor and nothing more. The DS is still one of the top selling systems even when stacked against consoles. It hasn't even been five years yet and there's still a flood of Dragon Quest games coming that are certain to break records on their own.

I don't expect to hear anything on a successor to the DS until 2010 and I agree with graphics being on GameCube's level or whatever is within a budget to release the handheld at around $150.

11. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Is there a possibility we will get multi-touch technology? Like the one on iPhone.
    Or it limit for apple product?

12. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    I don't think 2010 is the right time for a successor, maybe a lot before.
    and gamecube graphics around $150.... current lites are not that much of a difference from 150$... but i think 200$ will be the price... and they will overexagurate the greatness of the new improved graphics and the larger screens, with a demo of pokemon running on it. ( i swear )

but nintendo won't care to make a new handheld before the DS's sales drop down. Just look at them and their games for the DS. Nintendo's pretty much like "oh the sales are high for the DS so we don't need to make a game for it- just work on the Wii"

I don't think they care much about the quality of the games because they've got square enix making games for them - all square enix needs to do is to add a 1 after their final fantasies or dragon quests and release them to the DS and the sales will go up up up.

I'm just trying to say nintendo really needs to start working about the DS before they make a new DS. They should actually play all the released crapware for the DS and see how awful they are. They should think about releasing some new mario RPG or something - or actually ask other developers to make a new ssb for the ds.

And once they do make a ssb for the ds, the ds will live for another 3 years, and the "new DS" will arrive after I graduate.

13. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    2 screens huh? That would make it challenging (I hope so, otherwise there is no point). Of course, if it's true.

14. osirisFIVE

Member osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
    Wasn't the point of two screens that one was touch-capable and the other was not?

Supposing this was true. Wouldn't it be more logical to produce one large touch screen instead of two small ones? A large one would be able to split itself virtually if need be and FMVs would be able to be shown without a break in between.

Thus, I dismiss this as pure fanboy speculation.

15. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    then it wouldn't be as portable

16. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Nintendo can't release a new redesign with 2 touch screens, that would make every new game unplayable on older DS models.. and that's a pretty stupid thing to do.

Could be a totally new system.. but then, Nintendo usually announces this kind of stuff 2 years before it's out..

So, yep, just rumors..

17. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    the gameboy does not play gba games
    the gba does not play nds games.

a new handheld. that's it.

18. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Why? You could just use the bottem screen for NDS1 games.

19. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    he means he can't play ds2 games on ds1

20. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    The old thing can only play new system games if the new one is only a redesign. A complete overhaul, or any change in system specs will make them incompatible.