[Rumor] New iPad has 1GB RAM, 1 GHz A5X Clock Speed

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
A Vietnamese site called Tinhte.vn has managed to get the new iPad ahead of schedule, treating us with a video of the device’s unboxing and revealing some previously unknown specifications.

The new iPad — the third-generation device lacks a new name or additional numbers, causing some consternation among us journalists, so we refer to it as “the new iPad” — apparently has 1 GB of RAM memory (up from 512 MB in iPad 2).

Furthermore, its A5X processor ticks at 1 GHz, exactly the same clock speed as the A5 CPU in the iPad 2.

Interestingly enough, the fact that its graphics chip now has four cores wasn’t enough for a big increase in speed, at least according to popular testing software GeekBench, in which the new iPad scored 756. For comparison, the iPad 2 had a GeekBench score of 721, and the original iPad scored 442. We’re guessing that this particular benchmark doesn’t fully tap into the new iPad’s quad-core graphics chip.
Well, the graphics benchmark made me pretty much skeptical about this source. Plus it's by an unknown Vietnamese source, so I'll put this as a rumor for now.

1GHz clock speed is sure disappointing though (if it's real). I guess we can only find out at actual launch.

SOURCE: http://mashable.com/2012/03/13/new-ipad-unboxed-and-tested/

The video is in the source if you're interested.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
More cores don't instantly equal more speed, so yeah if the benchmark wasn't made for multi-cores, it don't matter shit how many you toss on.
Failure Apple marketing. :P

But I actually expected the benchmark to hit like at least 900 or something.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
More cores don't instantly equal more speed, so yeah if the benchmark wasn't made for multi-cores, it don't matter shit how many you toss on.

More like fail tester. If the benchmark is made for a single core and you give it a quad it's not going to use its full power (because it's feeding 1 line instead of doing processes in parallel)
The quad core GPU will be faster but only when devs utilise it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

More like fail tester. If the benchmark is made for a single core and you give it a quad it's not going to use its full power (because it's feeding 1 line instead of doing processes in parallel)
The quad core GPU will be faster but only when devs utilise it.
I was part sarcastic about the Apple part as I don't really believe the source itself.

Plus, the box of that iPad looks fugly.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Plus, the box of that iPad looks fugly.

thats what all other iPad boxes look like, nothing special about iPadbox3.
I don't remember my Apple boxes having stickers here and there. The iCloud sticker just looks removed from the iPhone 4S box and repasted to the New iPad box. To me at least.

EDIT: I just remembered that the Apple A5 is clocked at 800 MHz. If its 1GHz then perhaps there is a speed increase.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I remember reading the A5X is a 2 core cpu and 4 core gpu, in a cnet article. Apple apologized for the confusion.
It is. It has 2 CPU cores, but 4 GPU cores which made it able to power up the Retina Display.

What I'm hoping is at least a speed boost in those 2 CPU cores.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu