Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jay Leno: "You know, it's a pretty hot outside today."
Audience: "How hot is it?"
Jay Leno: "It's so hot I sold my Wii U because I found the game library to be unsatisfactory. In hindsight, paying $300 for it at launch was a poor investment."

Okay, okay, smart guy, Jay Leno didn't actually use this routine. (Why you've been watching enough Jay Leno to know this for a fact, I won't ask.) Still, the Wii U is in something of a rough spot, with a rather barren release schedule and struggling sales. Things aren't looking good for the console, at the moment anyway.

Still, that doesn't mean Nintendo's given up just yet. In fact...
According to CVG, a new 3D Mario game will be out by October, which will join Pikmin 3 and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD to potentially increase Wii U sales just in time for the holiday season.

...Though Nintendo hasn't confirmed the 2013 3D Mario release, a UK representative for the publisher did promise a big Wii U push in the second half of 2013. "From July onwards we will launch a succession of Wii U titles and we will promote these extensively until the end of the year. Marketing activity will include TV, print, online and PR as well as comprehensive experiential and social media campaigns," she said.
arrow.gif
The Escapist

Well, when you need your shit sorted out, call a plumber. Makes sense to me.

Is this the push the Wii U needs? Well, it's struggles with third party support remain, and this might not be enough to win over the skeptics. This is certainly a positive step, but it remains to be seen if it'll be enough to give the system some much needed momentum.

So, anyone want to bet on a name? Well, too late, because I'm calling it right now - Super Mario U-niverse. You can all go home now, it's over.

gg, GBAtemp.

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as it's more along the lines of SM64 (platformer and sandbox style) as opposed to galaxy (holy shit, literally) I'll be happy. :J

Still, given their directions with other released and upcoming games, I'm hopeful.

Reactions: MountApple

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh look, another mario game. yipee. :glare:

Oh look, another retarded post by rizzod. yipee. :glare:

Anyways, the second half of 2013 is looking to be really good for Nintendo. There's a bunch of games coming out all in quick succession, and not just first party titles either. I mean I play my WiiU more than my PS3 these days, thanks mainly to Monster Hunter and Lego City and the downloadable games, but I will admit that the pickings are slim. I've definitely had to open up my taste in games, and I'm glad I did. But second half, my goodness, I'm gonna be poorer than I already am. I'm gonna have to sell an arm and a leg to afford this stuff.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Never actually tried the Pikmin franchise so I can't really care.

And just like I didn't buy a 3DS back when it had a new Mario and a Zelda remake I won't buy a Wii U because it has a new Mario and a Zelda remake.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally, we haven't had a main title Mario since Galaxy 2 in 2010.

Some more interesting news from today:
- Nintendo was not comfortable fully promoting Wii U until the release the spring update
- working on a significant global Wii U marketing campaign
- more system issues ironed out in another big update
- blockbuster titles hitting Wii U from this Summer until early next year

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never actually tried the Pikmin franchise so I can't really care.

And just like I didn't buy a 3DS back when it had a new Mario and a Zelda remake I won't buy a Wii U because it has a new Mario and a Zelda remake.
Keep in mind those aren't the only games coming out. Pikmin is fun. I mean you don't really need to play the prequels, it's a RTS type game. The first one was fun, but to me, I hated the time mechanic where you only had 30 days. I don't like being rushed in games, I like exploring, which is one of the reasons why I don't like Kingdom Hearts 3D that much.

If you get the chance to play, I recommend trying Pikmin, you might like it. It's charming in it's own right with the Pikmin, the music is really soothing and to make it feel like you're exploring this big garden is really neat.

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
The 3D Mario titles aren't "just another Mario game", these are the ones that they give it their all.
Not a sports title, not a party title, not a "New" title, but their A-game.

Well, I hope so. I hope it's going to be the title that pushes the Wii U's hardware to point where the console melts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Finally, we haven't had a main title Mario since Galaxy 2 in 2010.

Didn't we?
qQW4dU9.jpg

Ehh... First-party CPR at its finest. I see that the age-old strategy of "When all else fails, Mario and Pokemon for Effect" is still in use. Good, good, lads - keep the console alive, even at the cost of being repetitive.

The 3D Mario titles aren't "just another Mario game", these are the ones that they give it their all.
Not a sports title, not a party title, not a "New" title, but their A-game.
That's all great, however I can't shake the feeling that Nintendo uses Mario as this sticker that magically makes games sell. They have a tendency of creating party games, racing games or puzzle games that are all great and fun and could stand on their own two feet but they will sell better when branded as Mario games so that's how they brand them. What used to be the occasional appereance of the character as a funny Easter Egg changed into hostile take-overs of games.

What this causes is that in the eyes of many players (including me), this is another Mario game, regardless of its quality, mostly because some people are just sick of seeing his mug on everything. :P

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't we?
qQW4dU9.jpg

Ehh... First-party CPR at its finest. I see that the age-old strategy of "When all else fails, Mario and Pokemon for Effect" is still in use. Good, good, lads - keep the console alive, even at the cost of being repetitive.

That's all great, however I can't shake the feeling that Nintendo uses Mario as this sticker that magically makes games sell. They have a tendency of creating party games, racing games or puzzle games that are all great and fun and could stand on their own two feet but they will sell better when branded as Mario games so that's how they brand them.

What this causes is that in the eyes of many players (including me), this is another Mario game, regardless of its quality, mostly because some people are just sick of seeing his mug on everything. :P

Well then Mario titles just aren't for you. Don't buy them, simple as that.

Reactions: omgpwn666

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as it's more along the lines of SM64 (platformer and sandbox style) as opposed to galaxy (holy shit, literally) I'll be happy. :J

Still, given their directions with other released and upcoming games, I'm hopeful.

Nothing wrong with the Galaxy games, I'll be happy if its like 64 or the galaxy games, just so long as its not like Sunshine.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't we?

For consoles obviously, Mario have never shined on portables. That said I think 3D Land is the best exclusive portable Mario platformer. We've had 2 GB titles and two NSMB games, not much to choose from.

Now this however will be a proper Mario title with all the effort they'll be able to cram in like with the Galaxy games, hopefully. Not a portable title nor part of a spinoff series.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well then Mario titles just aren't for you. Don't buy them, simple as that.
Oh, but I like certain Mario games - I've spent hours upon hours playing New Super Mario Bros. with friends, couch Co-Op was great. I genuienly enjoy those games, I just don't want to see 30+ of them each generation. Nintendo is perfectly capable of making good games, unfortunately instead of a new F-Zero or a new Metroid, I'm getting Mario games non-stop.

For consoles obviously, Mario have never shined on portables. That said I think 3D Land is the best exclusive portable Mario platformer. We've had 2 GB titles and two NSMB games, not much to choose from.

Now this however is a proper Mario title with all the effort they'll be able to cram in like with the Galaxy games hopefully, not a portable title nor part of a spinoff series.
The 3DS is a console, it's just a portable one. Shining or not shining in the portable format has little to do with the matter at hand - Super Mario World 3D was a main entry in the series. :P

I'm so glad that Mario games are now so numerous that they require a separate categorization system - "Main Series Entry", "Puzzle Mario", "Racing Mario", "Portable Mario", "Retro Mario"... I see some emerging genres, uh-huh! :rofl2:

Reactions: rizzod

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
nintendo's efforts are laughable.. a new mario game is gonna raise console sales? rofl... jus like nintendo has said they are having trouble selling the freaking console cuz' the general public don't know whether the wii u is just a wii with a tablet. :rofl2: get your PR straight nintendo. :yayps3:

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, but I like certain Mario games - I've spent hours upon hours playing New Super Mario Bros. with friends, couch Co-Op was great. I genuienly enjoy those games, I just don't want to see 30+ of them each generation.

But the thing is Foxi, Mario is what sells. There's no disputing it. If it sells, then Nintendo would be dumb to give up on it. Could they give their other franchises some love? Sure, I'd like a return of Metroid Prime (not as bad as Echoes, and not as repetitive as Corruption). Star Fox, eh, that series needs a big reboot. It's waaay too short and the arcade-ness of it wears off really fast.

But Mario is what sells. Just because it has Mario in the title, doesn't really mean it's a Mario game. But you're also talking about the New Super Mario Bros, which isn't a full main title like Galaxy or Mario 64 was. That's not what we're getting. Nintendo has already said that the new 3D mario title will be at E3, and I swear I heard that it'll be released this year besides this thread, but I'm not sure about that so don't quote me on it.

And let's be honest, the 3D mario games, they're always waaay too fun and simply can't be found anywhere else.

nintendo's efforts are laughable.. a new mario game is gonna raise console sales? rofl... jus like nintendo has said they are having trouble selling the freaking console cuz' the general public don't know whether the wii u is just a wii with a tablet. :rofl2: get your PR straight nintendo. :yayps3:
Are you actually saying a Mario game WON'T increase sales? I think you're the one that needs to be laughed at and told to get the facts straight...

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you actually saying a Mario game WON'T increase sales? I think you're the one that needs to be laughed at and told to get the facts straight...

I think Mario actually saved the 3DS. They had a massive surge in sales when Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 came out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse