[Rumor] New 3D Mario Hitting Wii U in 2013

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think Mario actually saved the 3DS. They had a massive surge in sales when Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 came out.
If that were the case, the 3DS sales would be equivalent to the sales those two games. What saved the 3DS was the price cut and new game releases in general, not solely Mario (although I'm not gonna lie - they helped).

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
nintendo's efforts are laughable.. a new mario game is gonna raise console sales? rofl... jus like nintendo has said they are having trouble selling the freaking console cuz' the general public don't know whether the wii u is just a wii with a tablet. :rofl2: get your PR straight nintendo. :yayps3:
mario games not selling well???!!
what kind of sorcery is this???

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mario games not selling well???!!
what kind of sorcery is this???

Don't pay attention to him. The guy is so stupid it's unbelievable. He'll come in out of left field, say the dumbest thing as if it's fact. And when people quote him and prove him wrong, he's never heard from again. He's a pretty good troll to be honest.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I would buy 2 Wii U's if they finally give me my Metroid Prime 4.

Delano_7_MP3.PNG

D

Deleted_171835

Didn't we?
qQW4dU9.jpg

Ehh... First-party CPR at its finest. I see that the age-old strategy of "When all else fails, Mario and Pokemon for Effect" is still in use. Good, good, lads - keep the console alive, even at the cost of being repetitive.

That's all great, however I can't shake the feeling that Nintendo uses Mario as this sticker that magically makes games sell. They have a tendency of creating party games, racing games or puzzle games that are all great and fun and could stand on their own two feet but they will sell better when branded as Mario games so that's how they brand them. What used to be the occasional appereance of the character as a funny Easter Egg changed into hostile take-overs of games.

What this causes is that in the eyes of many players (including me), this is another Mario game, regardless of its quality, mostly because some people are just sick of seeing his mug on everything. :P
Eh, Mario is a huge franchise branched out into various different types of games. You can't bring up Mario Party for example in the same vein as Super Mario Galaxy and complain about how it's being milked. Aside from the use of the Mario universe, those games are completely different.

Would Mario Party be any better if it featured all-new characters? Would Mario Tennis or Mario Golf be a better game without Mario? The answer is no so why should it matter if they utilize the Mario brand?

And besides, 3D Mario is pretty much exempt from this "too much Mario" claim. They don't come too often (once or twice a generation) and when they do, they always ooze quality (except maybe Sunshine).

Reactions: beta4attack

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Eh, Mario is a huge franchise branched out into various different types of games. You can't bring up Mario Party for example in the same vein as Super Mario Galaxy and complain about how it's being milked. Aside from the use of the Mario universe, those games are completely different.

Would Mario Party be any better if it featured all-new characters? Would Mario Tennis or Mario Golf be a better game without Mario? The answer is no so why should it matter if they utilize the Mario brand?

And besides, 3D Mario is pretty much exempt from this "too much Mario" claim. They don't come too often (once or twice a generation) and when they do, they always ooze quality (except maybe Sunshine).
Of course I can - in the immortal words of Confucius:
d8GxRwI.jpg
"Too many spin-off's spoil the broth."
~Confucius
You say that games like "Mario Golf" or "Mario Party" wouldn't change if you remove the "Mario" portion of the title and I don't think so at all - if anything, the Mario theme is weighing on them heavily. Were they just "Nintendo Golf" or "Nintendo Party", they'd be free to include any characters they want - in fact, they could include characters from all of their IP's for an epic fray like in Super Smash Bros..

Of course those franchises are now too instilled in the minds of fans to even give enough leeway for such a change, but a fact remains a fact - they're themed as Mario games hence they are Mario games - not entries in the main series, but Mario games nonetheless.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I rather see a 3d Mario title back in the mushroom kingdom than out in "Mario Space". Remember the feeling of exploring Super Mario 3 and the castle in Mario 64?
Make a mario game with a more open World! Imagine something like starting out at the Castle and the mushroom kingdom. The you travel by foot to all the other Worlds and discover different levels in these Worlds. Kinda like in the 2d games but Zelda style. While still keeping the good old mario style gameplay. Have cool problem solving like you need to find some neat power up for Yoshi to dash over sinksand and reach the next level.

In Mario 64 there wasnt much action in the castle. That was improved in Super Mario Sunshine.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please no more space mario. I didn't enjoy walking around floating spheres, controls becoming inverted and dealing with little gravity. :S
They'd have to do something else to keep it from being the same as 3D land I guess, just

not
in
outer
space

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I love mario, and it is my favorite series ever, I think it's pretty unlikely that Nintendo would release one this close to announcing it, and that they'd let someone else break the news.

cammelspit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't usually post on these forums but I do have an opinion if anyone is interested.
I owned and ran my own buy, sell, trade video game store for many years before I was sent to prison. I have lived through quite a few console launches and here are my thoughts on the Wii-U and Mario titles in general.

OK, so we will start at the N64, this console sold very well here in the states but not so well in most other regions. This was also true for the Gamecube, though not as badly split.
Here, we seem to just want those AAA first party titles; "Gimme Mario, gimme Metroid, gimme Zelda!". Sunshine IMHO was fantastic and definitely a AAA title but it was so damn different that many had a bias against it and never gave it the time it was due because of that. Accordingly the Gamecube suffered in sales and the Very different Wind Waker that I still can't stop hearing the whining about. Personally I LOVED Wind Waker.

The Wii sold because there was a Zelda game and the price was low on launch... That is basically what drove the Wii sales for at least a year or maybe more. Most 3rd party games were shit and still are but what console could a 79 year old great grandmother and a 6 year old great grandson play the same game together? I have never seen one other than the Wii. The Wii-U is still kind of running off the Wii's steam right now, and that's good! The console sales are still better than most launches and definitely better than some of Nintendo older offerings after the venerable SNES.
Mario and other first party titles like them do drive sales of the consoles but also sell GAMES. We all know the game companies don't make the real money off the hardware, at least at first: it's the sales of licenses for the GAMES that make real money.

Here is my theory. Give me a team of a dozen guys and I will annually release a new NSMB type title because they are simple as hell and sell like mad. Twice per console cycle release a MAIN Mario title like SMW, SMG etc this will keep the console going while the third parties finally start to directly support the system. This is as most third parties hold off until they know for fact that the console will sell enough units to make their efforts worthwhile. For an example of how NOT to do the PSVita is a great one; even if Nintendo has to rehash Wind Waker and all that stuff for a year or two before the console really takes the so be it, that is just how ALL consoles work. For example games for the 360 were shit on a raping stick terrible for at LEAST two years, the PS3 took more like one year (which given release window differences...) but the formula remains the same.

Part of the reason the Wii-U is not selling like the Wii did is price and not having the same AAA Zelda or Mario title at launch and 170+ bucks for a second Wii-U pad is simply outside the price range of most of the poor people in the world. The Wii lacked this and did better for it; Mommy and Daddy go to Walmart and see a 500+ dollar PS3, a 400+ dollar 360 and the Wii is 200+ and comes with a game so of course it sold well. However the Wii-U is just not that machine, it seems nice and all but THAT is what made Nintendo top dog again. At least in revenue, most people had a PS3 and a Wii or a 360 and a Wii (the Wii60 or PSWii).

The Wii-U is a replacement for the main console and I hope Nintendo does it right this time and we don't have another Gamecube (even though I LOVED my Gamecube).

Anyways, that's my 2 cents :)

D

Deleted_171835

I don't usually post on these forums but I do have an opinion if anyone is interested. I owned and ran my buy, sell, trade video game store for many years before I was sent to prison.
You can't just mention that and not elaborate. I'm sure there's an interesting story somewhere here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn