[RUMOR] Microsoft to set price of up to £35 for used XBOX ONE games

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by IBNobody, May 24, 2013.

1. IBNobody
    OP

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publ...of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

I've seen various reports, and some say that the £35 price is the maximum fee.

Basically, Microsoft, the publisher, and the retailer would split the cost.

UPDATE:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Xbox-Used-Games-Fee,news-17065.html

Retailers will be paying the fee and it will cut into their profits of used games.

That helps retailers, but not being an "approved vendor" will screw anyone trying to sell their games on eBay or Craigslist.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "and publishers will take a percentage cut of every sale"

Sigh...

Hopefully some others (read I guess that means Sony, Nintendo and if gamestop pull their thumb out of their arses and sort of their online efforts) will see sense or at least it leads to interesting reward or monetisation models. I am not optimistic though.

3. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I probably would just wait till brand new games drop below 20 bucks anyway. which they will.

4. IBNobody
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High

If the publishers see that they can make money, they will pressure Sony into following suit. Nintendo's system is released, and there won't be much they can do to impose this tariff.

5. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Stop buying used games. That IF you're gonna buy the Xbox One

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Honestly, it seems cheaper to just not buy the Xbox One.

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    This will get patched/changed a month after the launch.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Okay, which part of "up to" isn't crystal clear?

Brand-new games usually go for $60/£40 - £35 is already £5 less than the full retail price and that's the top value - it can be lowered over time.

Now, I'm no supporter of paying the developer/publisher twice for the same license myself - if the game was already bought once then they were already paid for that particular copy and should piss off in the name of the principle, but from the End-User perspective that's still not "drastic" value-wise - that's about as much as you'd pay for a used game in a store anyways, they're just cutting out the middle-man.

Also, a rumour.

9. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Wasn't there a ruling in one of the main territories some time ago that digital downloads MUST be available to resell? I'm pretty sure I read here some article like that which meant that Steam had to allow licences to be sold second hand.

And if that's the case, doesn't it make what Microsoft are doing illegal in said territory?

10. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    This is what I think Microsoft is doing

Warning: Spoilers inside!

IBNobody likes this.
  11. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2010
    Well this is just a rumor and it's not like I buy used games anyway, but I won't be buying the Xbox TV, already got a WiiU and if I ever decide to buy another console is this generation it'll be the PS4 even tho I don't like Sony.
    But seeing how Microsoft fucked everything up with Xbox TV Sony seems less evil :-) Au

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Microsoft can claim all they want that they don't want to hurt the customer...but they know damn well that shops that sell second hand games don't make that much profit of it (racks full of unwanted games isn't exactly paying your employees). So the end result is that either the money they're paying for your second hand game goes down, or they'll put a larger price on that second hand title (probably both). Either way, the end customer WILL feel the effect.

I'm not so sure about that. The reason this happens today is at least partially because of second hand sales. If the cost of a new game isn't lowered, people will simply buy more second hand. But if you can't "just" buy a second hand version if the price stays high...what motivation does anyone have to lower that price to begin with?

13. IBNobody
    OP

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    New reports are coming out that indicate that the retailer would be the one paying the cost. I've updated the OP.

I'm not too happy with this system. I always sell my games on eBay or Craigslist and never back to the store. I can't do that without access to the unlocking system.

14. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    It's funny, because there's a rumor too that the retailers can set the price to whatever, not Microsoft.

Ah man, am I the only one getting a hoot out of all these rumors?