RUMOR- Megaman Legends 3 hinted by Inafune?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Jul 23, 2010.

Jul 23, 2010
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    I'm posting this as a rumor, but there is a lot of merit to its possible existence. This comes from the Comic Con panel by Kenji Inafune (Megaman creator) who said he was now working on an "often requested" game. I'll let his words do the talking here, it's a good read for any Legends fan-

Following the announcement of Megaman Universe, Inafune wasn't done teasing fans. He had this to say about Megaman possibilities-

“The are other things going on with Mega Man, It’s an oft requested thing you want.”

At this comment, the crowd he was addressing promptly burst into cheers of "MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3!!!" To this, Inafune could only smile at his audience and give his thanks to the crowd. He then proceeded to toss some plush Megaman arm cannons at the audience. Take that any way you wish... [/p]
    I've labeled this report as a rumor, but it's my opinion that it's not even worth having that word. There's almost no chance this is untrue. To me, this is as much as confirmation as you can get without them saying "Megaman Legends 3 is now announced". So yeah, i think it's coming. The question is not whether it's coming, but to what console... One of the HD systems? Wii? Or perhaps even 3DS? Megaman Legends 3DS would make a convenient title segue. [​IMG]

Anyways, i would imagine many a Legends fan will now need some clean pants. If this isn't true by some chance, Inafune is going to need one hell of a bodyguard to protect him from fans' wrath! If not Legends 3, he'll need one hell of a game to cover himself, like a new X game or something.

Source- Siliconera

2. OmerMe

Member OmerMe GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I want Legends 3 on the 3DS ;-;
    I will cry if it'll end up on 360/ps3 like MMU.

3. shango46

Member shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I want it on the Xbox360/PS3! They have so much more to offer! If 3D is a big thing, make it DLC for the PS3 and see how well it does there.

As for the Wii, it might be able to go there, but I don't see it being a good fit. Maybe a scaled down version.

4. thewarhammer

Newcomer thewarhammer Advanced Member

Brazil
    ...hopefully is something about DASH/Legends series. Or maybe about the already announced Rockman Online...o.o

5. granville
    OP

United States
    I don't see much reason for a Megaman game to be specifically on a more powerful system. Megaman is one series that really doesn't stand to gain much for having HD visuals or whatever. When we entered the Dreamcast/PS2 generation, the series had basically all it needed visually.

Cel shading works quite well for the series when it's in 3D, and we've seen several of those on PS2, GC, and PSP. Megaman is a pretty basic platformer with shooting elements. Seems kind of foolish to diss the game on Wii considering the PS3 or 360 wouldn't have any gameplay advantages over Wii or 3DS. Only resolution changes or whatever, basic visual stuff that doesn't matter at all. It would be pretty useless to choose one of the HD consoles over a weaker system. Megaman wouldn't use any advanced physics that would require a PS3 (like Force Unleashed or whatever). It's a very basic run and jump (and gun) game.

6. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    If the rumor is true and there is work being done on Megaman Legends 3, I would love to see the trilogy on the 3DS.

MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3-DS

It's perfect.

7. shango46

Member shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Have you played any of the other MegaMan Legends games? They are not side scrolling like the other series are. They are a more environment rich 3D universe utilizing RPG like gameplay. Imagine a GTA game for MegaMan.

[​IMG]

Now, with the amazing advances in technology we have now with our video game consoles, the universe in which this game would be in would be improved 100X being on a system like the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

Again, I will use GTA as a reference to quality. Here is GTA 2 for PS1:
    [​IMG]

And now we have GTA 4 on Xbox 360 and PS3:
    [​IMG]

As you can easily see, the gameplay, graphics, physics, EVERYTHING has improved 100X over the past 10 years. Now imagine that for the MegaMan Legends series. Go from the heavily pixelated ruins you explore for zenny and relics to a smooth looking, resource intensive battle with Tronne Bonne and Tiesel throughout a whole city in which everything can be used as a weapon/defensive item.

As for being on the Wii, maybe an updated compilation of MegaMan Legends 1 and 2 could work. They would be able to smooth the graphics quite a bit and maybe add a new item here, maybe a new mission there, etc... but as for the making of 3 for Wii, please don't. Don't get me wrong, I have a Wii and play it all the time, but I want the game to be the best it can be, and unfortunately the Wii is not able to do that.

8. PrinceNOOB

Member PrinceNOOB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah I would prefer to play it on a PS3/360 or pc with more graphics.

9. granville
    OP

United States
    I never called it sidescroller, don't twist my words around like that to try to prove your point. GTA is a terrible example to use as it has always pushed the system it was on extremely hard. GTA4 for example not only had a huge world, but used advanced physics that required the PS3 or 360. GTA should never be compared to Megaman, they are nothing alike and hopefully never will be.

Megaman has never been a game that pushed the system it was on very hard. Legends never had very good graphics even on the PS1. And the series wouldn't be good with realistic graphics. So far, it has been proven that cel shading is the best way to convey its style in 3D. Games like Megaman X Command Mission, Megaman Network Transmission, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Megaman X7 and X8... Even Legends was trying for that style, with its cartoony graphics. But the systems it was on at the time did not support true cell shading, so the games had to rely on textures for the cartoony look.

Here's a pic for Command Mission, the cel shading is the best you can get for Megaman in 3D-
    [​IMG]

No matter what you do, the series will not have any true use of the HD systems' better capabilities in terms of gameplay. The Megaman series does not require advanced physics such as Euphoria or Havoc (used in GTA4 and Force Unleashed). Any Megaman series would look absolutely horrible with a realistic style. And the ideas of merging gameplay from GTA is terrible. I would not play the game if they tried to take ideas from GTA. It doesn't work with Megaman.

Any system Dreamcast or later can handle a fully 3D Megaman in the best way it can get. The series doesn't need any more power than that, and Capcom would just squander the capabilities of an HD system. Besides making the visuals a little smoother and more details, a Megaman game (3D or not) doesn't stand to gain anything in terms of gameplay by being on a system like PS3. GTA does, Megaman does not. You're also a fool if you think Capcom is really going to go all out on a game like this too. If they do i'll be surprised.

It would be best for the game to be on as many systems as possible, but when it comes, don't expect the game to truly use the system's full capabilities.

10. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    zomg.. please bring out Rockman DASH 3 ;_;

11. M[u]ddy

Member M[u]ddy GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Even if all the HD consoles can offer is a higher polygon count and a higher resolution the cartoony look does improve a lot on it. Just take a look at The Another World or Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

12. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    [​IMG]
    You never actually played GTA IV, did you?

13. CookiesMilk

Member CookiesMilk GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    I got play the MEGAMAN LEGENDS 1 & 2 both series!! Itz a nice game and I simply LOVE it!! Hope it will be released on 3DS

14. L_kira

Newcomer L_kira Newbie

Philippines
    Well, there has been an on-going battle at Capcom forums whether which game is the "oft-requested" one that Inafune hinted.

And so far, skepticism seems to loom around MML3. -> http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_man/go/fo...n%C2%AE_legends

Although out of all its competitors, MML3 has the higher chance IMO, since a section of MML3 forums at the Megaman subsection just suddenly bloom out of nowhere before the start of Comic-Con (which is the source of this rumor). And you just not add another one of those just now for the reason of members of the forum requested it; since it was requested years ago.

Join Capcom unity forums -> http://www.capcom-unity.com/

..and join us and wage against other competitors for the "next" megaman game.

15. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    The first one was kinda fun.