[Rumor] Google set to reveal Nexus 7 tablet

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While Google's Android OS has become popular for both tablets and smartphones, Google still hasn't entered the tablet fray. However, according to a report by Gizmodo, the Nexus 7 will change all that.

The tablet will have a 1.3 Ghz quad-core Tegra 3 processor, GeForce 12-core GPU, and 1GB of system memory. It'll have a 1280 x 800 resolution and sport a 1.2 MP front facing camera, all while packing a battery with supposedly 9 hours of life for normal use. For an operating system, the Nexus 7 will run Android of course, this time sporting the Jelly Bean version. It'll also come affordably priced at $199 for an 8GB model and $249 for a 16GB model.

There's still been no confirmation from Google yet, so this should still be taken with a grain of salt.

:arrow: Source

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd pay the extra 50 for the extra 8 gigs of storage, but I wonder if this will be SD external or microSD internal expandable? One of the things I love and hate about my Galaxy Nexus (toro) is that it's 32GB flash, non-expandable. It has a virtual /sdcard/ directory because of this. I'm not likely to use up all of that on a phone (unless I'm taking video with it), but on a tablet, that could possibly change.

Interested also to hear if this would end up having bluetooth and a rear facing camera, and what type of display it uses (I should read the source next time!).

For what it's worth though, this sounds pretty good to me for the price it is, I'd likely buy one. I've been interested in getting a tablet.

Reactions: 1 person

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd pay the extra 50 for the extra 8 gigs of storage, but I wonder if this will be SD external or microSD internal expandable? One of the things I love and hate about my Galaxy Nexus (toro) is that it's 32GB flash, non-expandable. It has a virtual /sdcard/ directory because of this. I'm not likely to use up all of that on a phone (unless I'm taking video with it), but on a tablet, that could possibly change.

Interested also to hear if this would end up having bluetooth and a rear facing camera, and what type of display it uses.

For what it's worth though, this sounds pretty good to me for the price it is, I'd likely buy one. I've been interested in getting a tablet.
Well that sounds obvious, but it's not in the rumor. :blink:

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i no why it's priced so low it's because it's only 7 inches, that's quite small for my standards, it also has no rear camera too which is a must for most tablets these days.

it is good for anyone on budget though but it's best to wait for a better tablet and save up.

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been following this tablet since march and can't wait to get it. I was hoping the $199 price tag was including 16GB storage but i wouldn't mind paying $50 more. I'm becoming more and more a fan of the Nexus line. If rumors are true there might be 5 new Nexus phones coming later this year from different manufacturers.
i no why it's priced so low it's because it's only 7 inches, that's quite small for my standards, it also has no rear camera too which is a must for most tablets these days.

it is good for anyone on budget though but it's best to wait for a better tablet and save up.
7" displays are definitely the more portable option that i prefer anyway. I'm of the opinion that if you are willing to carry around a 10" tablet you might as well carry around a 13" ultrabook instead. It's okay if it doesn't have a rear camera, it saves money and most people who are interested in tablets have phones with better cameras equipped than on any tablet anyway.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
7" displays are definitely the more portable option that i prefer anyway. I'm of the opinion that if you are willing to carry around a 10" tablet you might as well carry around a 13" ultrabook instead. It's okay if it doesn't have a rear camera, it saves money and most people who are interested in tablets have phones with better cameras equipped than on any tablet anyway.

you have some good points there, but i do prefer my 10" still.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But if you set the DPI way lower than what the stock is, that becomes much less noticeable. My Galaxy Nexus, for example, has a 4.65" screen at a stock 320DPI. The norm DPI to drop it to on a custom rom on this phone is 240, which makes everything appear so much smaller, thus giving the impression of a larger screen. Drop it down to 160, and the ICS tablet UI kicks in, still on a 4.65" screen. Granted, at that low of a DPI, everything is piss-tiny, though I had to do it once to use the TurboTax software (they were doing free e-filing for state and fed when it was released!).

Point being, you can tweak the DPI and the screen will seem much larger than it really is, just because everything is smaller. Same with increasing the resolution on a computer. And for an actual example of what the difference of 320 to 240 DPI does on my phone, in the app drawer, at 320 DPI, ICS automatically aligns apps at a 4x5 grid in portrait mode. At 240, it adjusts that to 5x7 in portrait because everything is smaller. On the homescreen, I can comfortably adjust the default grid size from 4x5 to 7x7.

D

Deleted_171835

$199 is really nice...but if it turns out to be priced like a regular tablet ($500), then I'll just get a Microsoft Surface.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a number of china tablets running single core arm 9s with 512 ram. Many at 7 and 10 inches. Selling between 100-199 w/o cellular data. Big name company putting together a tablet with better specs at the 199.99 price point w/o cellular data, is no surprise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Happy birthday!