Rumor: First pics of PSP2

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Apmme.jpg

kRqDY.jpg

The oft-rumored PlayStation Portable 2 may have just been photographed in the wild—or at least an early version of the device's development kit has. Early spy shots of the PSP2 appear to confirm many of its new features.

VG247 has what it claims are pictures of the PSP2's dev kit, appropriately grainy shots that show off the previously reported touch pad positioned on the back of the device, its dual analog control sticks and front and back-facing cameras. According to VG247's report, this is an early version of the PSP2's dev kit, which Sony may have abandoned in favor of a form factor that more closely matches the original, non-sliding PSP.

As we've previously reported, Sony was looking at two different form factors for the PSP2, one modeled after the original PSP series, the other in the style of the PSPgo. The system's hardware specs are said to rival those of the Xbox 360, with the PSP2 sporting a larger, higher-definition screen than that of the original PSP. The PSP2 will drop UMD support in favor of using Memory Stick storage, according to those who have seen the device.

A development source with knowledge of the device has confirmed to Kotaku that the leaked PSP2 dev kit shots are legitimate.[/p]

Source

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
RupeeClock said:
Looks fake as hell, plus they can't actually use a d-pad like that since it's a Nintendo trademark.

Kotaku is pretty good when it comes to stuff like this, and Nintendo only owns the VERY distinct shape of their D-pads. This one is changed a bit so it can be distinguished from Nintendo's.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Looks fake as hell, plus they can't actually use a d-pad like that since it's a Nintendo trademark.
You beat me lol. yeah dpad is trademarked.
I think the one they have is good. Why would they want to change it? Specially for that ugly looking one.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
And to everyone poo pooing over it because of the D-pad, remember this is a dev unit. The actual thing that you will see on store shelves might be completely different.

This looks to me like a modified PSP Go, so take that as you will.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
RupeeClock said:

Kotaku is pretty good when it comes to stuff like this, and Nintendo only owns the VERY distinct shape of their D-pads. This one is changed a bit so it can be distinguished from Nintendo's.
Yup for example:

joy040.jpg

Still its not the standard PS d-pad anyway so if this is real then I can see it changing.t.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Update: We’ve been told by a source that these images are from the last kit. There’s a newer one, which is a single, non-sliding block. Remember those last Kotaku rumours of the unit overheating? Sony switched back a form like PSP-1000 in order to cool it down.

Sauce

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Chris_Skylock said:
Arent you all stupid?

THAT IS A DEV KIT. IT'S NOT THE REAL DEAL. DEV kits are used for testing games. SHESH
Dev kit hardware is usually very similar to the mass produced one, save for a few modifications...
I think what everyone is failing to see is the update that says they reverted back to the old PSP design.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the same thought about the D-pad.

Why is it that all these "leaked" photos are invariably grainy? Even consumer-level spy tech is probably more detailed by now. Can't they just sneak a phone in?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supersonicmonk said:
and why the hell are the the analogue sticks on the other side of buttons unlike every other sony console
Maybe they was looking at the 3DS and forgot their style for the moment
tongue.gif
jk

uh... the final better have UMD >.>

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
I had the same thought about the D-pad.

Why is it that all these "leaked" photos are invariably grainy? Even consumer-level spy tech is probably more detailed by now. Can't they just sneak a phone in?Low light makes for grainy photos with low-end hardware at all, even the newest cell phone's camera. Generally if you're sneaking photos it's not a good idea to use the flash, after all...

TwinRetro said:
PSP2 sporting a larger, higher-definition screen than that of the original PSP.Goddamnit can't they just say "resolution" and not fuel more "high-definition" BS rumors?

QUOTE(Chris_Skylock @ Nov 17 2010, 08:05 PM)
OK. so forgive me.

To me, DEV kits are nothing to be proud of. They're testing models. Heck the Nokia N900 is also a dev kit and I was one of those bafoons who fell for it.
Um, do you even know what a dev kit actually IS? From what I'm seeing the N900 is a retail product, with plenty of them being sold on amazon, (the majority even unlocked).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol