RUMOR: Final Fantasy XII Remake Coming - Updated

t795222_9aa3c1_ffxii.jpg

Update 2: Arnie Roth made a post on the Distant Worlds Facebook page about two hours ago where he clarifies what he said at the concert. Well, he sort of clarifies. He mentions that after talking with Hitoshi Sakimoto, he realized "the term ‘remake’ was used in error". This still doesn't confirm anything for certain, although those that believed it was likely to be a remaster done in a similar fashion to Final Fantasy X and not a full remake are probably closer than most.

Once again, I'd like to make it clear, he only said a "remake" wasn't coming. Feel free to keep speculating away, and I'll be sure to update if we receive any word of an official remaster.

:arrow: Disant Worlds Facebook Page - Arnie Roth's Correction

I will spoiler the original post below. Open it to see the original news about the announcement of a Final Fantasy XII "remake".
According to users on Twitter, at the Distant Worlds concert tonight in Pittsburgh, where they feature Final Fantasy music, the composer, Arnie Roth said that a Final Fantasy XII remake was coming. This was mentioned by multiple users from the concert as shown in several screencaps below.

UPDATE
: I found a video taken at the concert where you can hear Arnie say it. I added it as the main item of interest and spoilered the Tweets from concertgoers.

5useJ3I.png

bnKxqyE.png

TsXnO5E.png

I can confirm the legitimacy of these screenshots from the FF Network Twitter feed, as linked below. Take this rumor with a grain of salt until there is an official announcement.

:arrow: Thanks to Reddit user masterlobo for the information.
:arrow: FF Network Ongoing Tweets and Replies

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, am I not allowed to not like FFXII? I'm just saying, IX needs to be remastered. Heaven forbid I don't like XII :rolleyes:
You're allowed to like whatever you want, but don't say that it's what people want, as if you were speaking selflessly for the masses. Just say what you actually mean.

Reactions: mightymuffy

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, this IS Square Enix we're talking about. The company that localized the non-Pro version of DQMJ2. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised either way.
To be fair though, they did bring all the international version stuff with FFX, and brought the Final Mix versions of KH over with the 1.5 and 2.5 titles. To be doubly fair, the Dragon Quest titles are treated oddly when it comes to localizations due to their lacking popularity in the west yet booming popularity in Japan.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're allowed to like whatever you want, but don't say that it's what people want, as if you were speaking selflessly for the masses. Just say what you actually mean.
Yeah sorry randomizer but I thought FFIX was horrible! Thought FFXII was horrid too but there you go... In defense of both I did think FFIX was LESS horrible than VIII, and XII less horrible than *shudder* fukkin X.

FFVI will probably always remain the greatest RPG I've ever played in my opinion, yep, better than Chrono Trigger.... Yet I don't want a remake. I've got the original FFIV in various guises, and the 3D remake, and whilst I reckon they did a decent job with the remake, if I ever want to fire that adventure up again, it'll be the original SNES version!
And while I'm in fukkin rant mode :lol:, I don't really give a flying piss about the FFVII remake either! Overhaul this, change that - it doesn't matter, they're gonna butcher that game... do you really think the cross dressing/rape scene (for a start) are gonna make the new version? Me neither.... that sort of stuff isn't pc these days is it...

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only person that actually liked VIII ?
It's not my fave, but it's in my top 5... just seems like the only people that don't just overlook it entirely outright hate it.

Can't say I'm too bothered by any of SE's remakes/remasters. In fact, I'm not particularly bothered by anything they do that's not on the Nintendo handhelds these days.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not my fave, but it's in my top 5... just seems like the only people that don't just overlook it entirely outright hate it.

Can't say I'm too bothered by any of SE's remakes/remasters. In fact, I'm not particularly bothered by anything they do that's not on the Nintendo handhelds these days.
VIII really wasn't a bad game. It had its quirks and was ridiculously easy to abuse, sure. Honestly, the battle, stat, and level systems were all downright broken for the most part with an extraordinary lack of balance. That said, I did beat the game, and I had fun with it. The final battle for me was just Squall spamming Lionheart while Zell tossed Heroes on him periodically and Megalixirs refined from the Bahamut card most turns. Considering I didn't know that leveling was counterproductive until I was around level 45 though, I'd say things turned out pretty decently all in all.

Totally off topic, I know, but I thought I'd share my experience. I don't think the game is worthy of a remaster, but maybe a proper remake one day would do it some good to get the incredible number of kinks out of the game to make a more well rounded experience.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Yeah, but "dramatic changes" is literally all that was said. Changing the combat to something FFXV-esque (God, I hope not) would be drastic, but considering how archaic the mechanics of FFVII are compared to today, I would argue that most changes would be drastic. Honestly, I'd think the best "drastic change" I could imagine would be for the game to be fully turn-based. I know the chances of that are abysmal, but a man can dream... a man can dream...
Imagine the screams of agony if SE trolled everyone and released FFVII-R with the FFXIII type battle system ... SE has been streamlining too much lately so i wouldn't be surprised lmao

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Never got into 12. The story didn't really feel like it had much weight to it, I never felt like the world was in any real danger or there was all that much at stake. So your country got taken over. It's not like the invaders were running it into the ground or anything. Vaan was just irritating and the others by and large had little impact. The way you had to use your whole MP guage to use your special moves was ridiculous because if you got into a tight spot and needed to deal a lot of damage, you basically had to know it'd kill the target because if it survived you had no MP to heal. The summons were flashy but useless given that they can get easily KO'd by bats. Not kidding, first time playing on my way to get Mateus, Belias got repeatedly killed by BATS. The whole game just felt like it was jumping on the MMO 'lets be World of Warcraft' bandwagon. It's not just a dull Final Fantasy game, it's the point where the series basically fell apart because it stopped doing its own thing and just went with trends instead. Oddly around the time Sakaguchi left. Not a coincidence, methinks. If this HD remaster, and that's all it'll be, ends up being the Zodiac Job System version, I'll consider giving it another chance to impress me, but right now it sits very low in the listings of my favourite FF games.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Geez... can we all stop speculating until Square Enix actually announces the damn game? It might just be something he would like rather than a full blown "they're making one". They're already remaking VII, I don't think they'd do two remakes in a row, and with two such well loved games.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why can't they remake a good FF game instead?
Well, we're getting FF7 HD and that's great, but IMO FF12 isn't even old enough to warrant a remake. It would be better to remake one of the other PSX FF games, like FF9. Squeenix, please remake FF9 :angry:

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Why can't they remake a good FF game instead?
Well, we're getting FF7 HD and that's great, but IMO FF12 isn't even old enough to warrant a remake. It would be better to remake one of the other PSX FF games, like FF9. Squeenix, please remake FF9 :angry:

Don't worry. Like with VII, if people bitch and moan enough, they'll do it.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have zero faith square enix will do anything other than slap the ff7 story over their latest final fantasy engine and whatnot. I'm anticipating FF15 replaced with 7's character models, environment, and story and have them call it a day. I could probably even choke down the gameplay, if it's terrible, for the story...but i suspect they're going to take the "everyone is sooooooo emo" approach and forget how much levity and spunk the Final Fantasy characters on the first playstation had.

Sorry, off track. I'm sure FF12 is going to be an HD remaster, hopefully with extras included. I personally found the game boring and didn't care what happened to any of the characters or their world. This is after around 8 or 10 hours of playing.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think we're all waiting for the amazing FFXIII remakes instead. Forget this other crap.

People with good taste like VIII, dun worry.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wonder what will those AAA companies do next gen when a good 80% of their current libraries now are remakes.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it will have the job system from the international version

I would hope it would let you choose between the original license board version or the International Zodiac Job System boards and not force you into just the latter. Hopefully letting you use the IZJS version's fast forward button in either version.

So, am I not allowed to not like FFXII? I'm just saying, IX needs to be remastered. Heaven forbid I don't like XII :rolleyes:

You're allowed to like 9 and hate 12, but you also should realize bringing the games forward 9 would likely be a lot more work than 12 which would be a fairly simple task. They'd almost have to remake 9 entirely, with it's low poly count (albeit not low for PSX, but that was 15 years ago) and low res backgrounds.

Meanwhile, judging by videos I've seen of 12 being played on an emulator, just upping the rendering resolution would pretty much make it acceptable, though obviously the hope would be they'd do more than just that. It would still be an easier (aka cheaper) thing for Squeenix to churn out.

I'd love to see 9 redone, or even just another game of it's style, but I'd also love a million dollars, and I don't see that happening either.

I wonder what will those AAA companies do next gen when a good 80% of their current libraries now are remakes.

Just rerelease them on the next system like with FF10/10-2 remaster. I bet Square's glad the PS4 doesn't play PS3 games.

Well, we're getting FF7 HD and that's great, but IMO FF12 isn't even old enough to warrant a remake.

It's 9 years old, and if this rumored version did come out it would probably be 10 years old by then. Seems like a decently old enough game, particularly if they could bill it as a 10 year anniversary edition or some such.

Last edited by tbb043,

ultimatetemper

Trophies
XP
Country
We need an FF5/FF6 remake, it would be cool if those remakes came to 3DS, with the GBA content and the option to switch between arranged and original music (like the PSP releases)
The Opera scene in 3D quality would be priceless...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.