[Rumor] Final Fantasy Versus XIII Now FF XV... and a PS4 Exclusive

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The Final Fantasy series isn't quite the franchise it used to be. To be positive, the franchise has hit some bumps in the road with the mixed reception of FFXIII and the troubled launch of FFXIV.

To be negative, the franchise has been in a downward spiral for years now - a fall from grace so bad it would make Lindsey Lohan blush.

No matter where you stand, though, there's still a lot of mystery surrounding the next entry in the series. People are curious, at least just morbidly, about what's coming next.

And this is where things get interesting...

[​IMG] VG Leaks

[​IMG]

What a twist!

Now, some clarification is in order. VG Leaks has made some spot on calls when it's come to console hardware in the past, so they have some semblance of credibility. Still, as far as we know, this is only a rumor for the time being. Take it with a grain of salt... or a silo. Your choice.

If this is all true, though, it might just be a pretty big coup for Sony. Like the FF games or not, they are a big name, and having the next entry in a storied, iconic franchise appear exclusively for the PS4 will certainly make the library appear that much stronger.

This would also explain what the hell happened to Versus XIII, though personally, I'm sticking to my "Ghosts stole it" hypothesis until more evidence comes to light. Still, I guess fans will be happy to know that we're getting this fantasy, like, finally.

So, what do you think? Did it just become hip to be Square Enix? Or is Sony just going to cripple the game when it can't come up with the protection money?

SuzieJoeBob, riyaz and TehSkull like this.

2. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I think this topic needs to be changed to state it is a rumor and not fact.

raulpica and Celice like this.
  3. NightsOwl

Member NightsOwl Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)

United States
    When did they even announce VS13 again? 5 years ago? 3?

Either way. Instead of working on an actual FF15 (Which will probably be not for me, considering I only like X, CC, and XII)
    They're just going to change a project into it? Seems kinda.... lame.

4. Geren

Member Geren GBAtemp Regular

El Salvador
    Xbox360 got FF XIII this gen. It seems to me that SE wouldn't want to have the franchise in a single console anymore, since they aren't doing that good financially.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Sony: "Jesus Christ you guys suck. Alright you just make the characters, and Sony Santa Monica will do the rest of the work."
    Square: ":("

But honestly, if this turns out to be true, I can see A LOT of people getting pissed off. Hell, let's be honest, if KH3 doesn't come out for PS3, a lot of people are going to get pissed off.

In short, Square, You Done Goofed...

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Sounds like a planned April fools joke got leaked, if you ask me.

I'll wait for some facts before I make puns or state opinions.

GameWinner, riyaz and -Hero- like this.
  7. Powerslave89

Newcomer Powerslave89 Newbie

United States
    I've been telling my friend that square should just go ahead and rename versus to 15 and launch it with the PS4 day one. No matter how much I enjoyed XIII it's going to crash and burn with all of its sequels.

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Damn now I will have to rename my screenies to ff15

9. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    and then he said xbox
    And I was like, "she's okay"
    It was then I realized that he meant the game system

10. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    This just locks in my purchase of the PS4 further. FF XV looks fantastic, and if this is true, it would be highly unlikely for KH3 to be multiplatform.

11. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    This has just given me a huge reason to get a job and pre-order my PS4.

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yeah, just like a lot of people bought a PS3 just to play Versus, when it was to came out on PS3. And then it never did. Whoops.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this game actually getting released. SquareEnix's getting crappier every year, when it comes to business practices.

Oh, also games' quality.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  13. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    My dreams are already too high in the sky to be brought back down to logical thinking. YOU WILL NOT CRUSH MY DREAMS D':

raulpica likes this.
  14. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Like I said. I know a ton of people who bought a PS3 just to play Versus XIII and you know... an actual good Final Fantasy game. Nope, sorry!

I also know a shit ton of people who bought a PS3 to play KH3, and if Square doesn't bring that to PS3, they're gonna have a lot of fans severely pissed off at them.

15. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Oh man, I was still at school, back then. I could remember all my friends screaming "what are you saying! KH3 is definitely going to come out on PS3!", hehe. I was wrong thinking it'd come out on Wii, too, though :creep: At least I was correct on how the Wii would go on to outsell the rest of the other consoles ;)

Oh, and let's not forget about the FF7's tech demo for the PS3! A lot of people ran out of their homes buying a PS3 just hoping that FF7 would _actually_ be remaked for the PS3. We're still waiting for that day.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  16. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Dude Square has just been an absolute joke this generation. Seriously. I don't have a single thing that's good to say about them. They haven't made a good game. Deus Ex? Yeah, not made by them. Tomb Raider? Not made by them.

They also said they wouldn't release a FF7 HD remake until they make a FF game better than it. Yoichi Wada (president) said so himself. But they haven't been able to do that. Wanna know why? Because all the talent that SE once had, is gone. For example, look at Hironobu Sakaguchi, the man who made final fantasy. What did he go on to make? Great games like The Last Story, Blue Dragon (hit or miss with most people, but still better than what SE has done), and the fantastic Final Fantasy game Lost Odyssey.

SE is going downhill. I actually suspect them to go the way of THQ next to be honest.

SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  17. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Lol, no. It was announced in May 2006 ;) 7 years ago.

18. NightsOwl

Member NightsOwl Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)

United States
    Lol. And here I thought 5 years was too long ago. So I thought that couldn't possibly be right.

19. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    If this is true and it'd release on or near the PS4 launch, at least we'd have a release date. Sure it'd be neat to have it on the PS3, but I can see the benefit of the PS4.

Btw why do people buy a console before a game is even released to buy just that game? Why not just buy it when the game is actually released if the console was bought just to play that one game? :o

20. taken

Member taken GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    That is the reason why I didn't buy a PS3.