[Rumor] Eurogamer claims the switch revisions are confirmed by sources close to Nintendo

DeslotlCL Mar 26, 2019.

1. DeslotlCL
    OP

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Switch-WSJ_10-04-18.

Following the report of the WSJ about the two switch revisions coming later this year, Eurogamer claims that sources close to Nintendo have indeed confirmed the two revisions, one being a cheap, handheld only model and one enhanced aimed to the enthusiasts.

Sources claims that nintendo wants to follow what they did with their 3ds line of consoles, with the cheaper version being like what they did with the 2ds. A cheaper, "kid-friendly" version for people or kids that use or wants to use their switch in handheld only mode.

Speaking of the enhanced version, like the WSJ report said, the model isn't receiving a huge boost in power in the likes of the ps4 pro or the xbox one x, but rather in the likes of what nintendo did with the 3ds to the new 3ds.

When eurogamer contacted to a nintendo spokesperson, they did not say much other than "there's no announcements and we do not talk about rumors and speculations".

Source

Last edited by DeslotlCL, Mar 26, 2019
    Xzi likes this.
  2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    If the handheld option doesn't fit in your pocket, they're doing it wrong

Ericthegreat likes this.
  3. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    It isn't like the current model fits on a mormal sized pocket, but they still call it a handheld.

x65943 likes this.
  4. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Yes, but that is also the reason I have never left the house with the switch (like I used to with my 3ds)

If they don't significantly reduce the size, it's gonna be doa

5. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Well highly likely they wont/cant make it more portable than it already is, unless they somehow manage to get a 3ds-like clamshell design...

6. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    I agree with x. A smaller and more portable version would definitely be preferable if Nintendo wants anyone to take it outside, though it's probably not likely to happen.

Fitting something like the Switch into a much more portable and tiny design doesn't seem feasible imo.

x65943 likes this.
  7. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    So I guess enhancements means better battery, slightly larger screen, better designed dock, etc.

8. Thunder Hawk

Thunder Hawk Firefox Master Race

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    and version exclusives .-.

9. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    So it sounds like they'll just be removing the underclock and running it at stock TX1 speeds, then...

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 27, 2019
  10. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    They could do something like the xperia play or the vita prototype with controls that slide out from the bottom.

Not having those huge joycons would already save a lot of space.

If they decrease the screen size and resolution they could also get away with a smaller battery.

I think they could get it to 3ds XL size.

11. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Most likely, though it is the most reasonable way to do a "pro" version. The gpu clock speed increase would already help alot without any needs to increase the cpu one, but pretty sure the cpu will also get a slighty increase in clock speed. Just hope they use a better battery this time, because the current one would drain faster than my motivation to keep going during the day.

Xzi likes this.
  12. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I don't see how they can improve the battery without using a larger battery, which would require a larger casing. Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if they made it thicker and provided joy-con grips to compensate, I suppose.

13. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Who knows, but with higher clock speeds the current battery wouldnt last long enough... Unless they opted for a similar, yet more efficient battery, though that sounds expensive lol

Xzi likes this.
  14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so the switch will be a proper shield than :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 27, 2019
  15. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Even underclocked Switch is the better device, for the simple reason that it's a hybrid instead of a small stationary console. And of course Switch has Nintendo backing it and all the exclusives that come with that. I own a Shield TV and I like it, but I'm sure it didn't sell even 1/100th of the units that Switch has already. An Nvidia pay-to-stream service as its premiere feature wasn't all that attractive. Google and Apple could learn from that.

16. DeslotlCL
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Think he was reffering to it just becoming the shield tv spec wise. Of course the switch in perfomance is kind of better since it isnt running android, but in paper the shield tv is still more powerful than the switch.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted