Rumor: DS games on 3DS look better after Update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Jun 11, 2011.

Jun 11, 2011
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    This has now been confirmed by people who have several 3DS systems with both firmwares available, along with some screenshot proof. At first it was doubtful that this has happened, but there are numerous gamers now claiming that after the big 2.0 update on 3DS, Nintendo has improved the image quality for DS games. For those not familiar, DS games do not perfectly fit the 3DS' resolution and must be stretched to compensate for the extra pixels. A blur filter was added to the games to keep the pixels from looking strange when stretched to the new resolution. The result was a mixed bag among gamers, some hating the loss in quality. Now it seems that the update has improved the picture quality on DS games. Gamers are now noticing that DS games played on 3DS seem to have superior color more akin to how they looked on a Lite or DSi, and that the blur filter has been improved making 2D assets noticeably smoother. It wasn't listed as an official feature on the update however.

On a personal note, I too have noticed a difference in quality after trying it myself. I've tested Mario & Luigi 3, Chrono Trigger, and Golden Sun Dark Dawn. In all three, i noticed an improvement in comparison to the older version of the 3DS firmware. The games now all seem to look clearer and smoother, with better color to boot. The text was especially noticeable. It seems considerably better, i can't really tell much difference between DS games played on 3DS or a normal DS anymore. Before the update, DS games looked SLIGHTLY worse when played on a 3DS. Now to me though, they look almost no different at all. More people here should test some DS games and see if they agree that there's an improvement. Please post your own experiences here if you do for further confirmation.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source

2. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    I guess I will try once again, I especially remember my experience with pokemon black, it was really blurry, like what we got with a widescreened game boy game on the very first GBA.

3. granville
    OP

United States
    If enough people come on and confirm this, i'll accept it as a legit news. If lots of people say there's no difference though, i'll just close this. I honestly think there's a noticeable improvement though, and i'm usually inclined to trust my eyes.

4. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    I only played Black on my 3DS. Time to check it out.

5. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I've noticed no difference. I doubt anything has been changed.

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I'll try this later... Hmm but is it even possible to improve the graphics this way? [​IMG]

7. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    hey, i just checked playing rocket slime, and yes, It did. It improved the graphics a bit.

edit: The pictures got sharpened up, its a bit blurry but not as blurry as before

8. dangerboy

Banned dangerboy Banned

United States

emulators on DS/DSi were able to improve their scaling in later versions. i dont see why nintendo cant update their scaling on their own device.

i can also see why they would not list it as a feature because they dont want anyone misunderstanding and thinking 3DS has a lower quality display than DS/DSi

9. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    I noticed a little bit of improvement, mostly in Radiant Historia since it's the game I used to play the most around the time of the update.

10. leeday100196

Member leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernape™

Australia
    Definitely an improvement. I can see it on the menu of the Supercard.

11. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    I can't see a difference in some games but others look better.

12. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    It seems true, although it would be neat if someone still had an unupdated 3DS to actually compare, since us seeing them better might be because of the power of imply.

13. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Pearl definitely looks better with the update. I have an original copy of pearl and one on my acekard, I put the original one into my 3DS and the acekard into my DSiXl. They look almost identical, 3DS being the superior of them. [​IMG]

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well since it's being virtualized it's not like it'd be too hard for them to adjust the scaling.

15. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    There has to be at least one person on this site that hasn't updated their 3DS yet and can record a comparison video for us.

16. Thaddeus_Twain

Newcomer Thaddeus_Twain Member

United States
    I was thinking a couple of days ago that DS games didn't look as bad as I remembered. I hadn't thought that the update could have improved something. I guess it's true then.

17. Prof. 9

Member Prof. 9 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I'm going to call confirmation bias until we can see some comparison pics.

18. Thaddeus_Twain

Newcomer Thaddeus_Twain Member

United States
    And I'm going to call it confirmed. See, we can call it whatever we want. But really, it's better. Just experience it for yourself!

19. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I have two 3DS's on different firmwares, I'll have macro screenshots in a few minutes.

20. granville
    OP

United States
    Many thanks, very much appreciated! [​IMG]