granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
06_news_image_3DS.png
This has now been confirmed by people who have several 3DS systems with both firmwares available, along with some screenshot proof. At first it was doubtful that this has happened, but there are numerous gamers now claiming that after the big 2.0 update on 3DS, Nintendo has improved the image quality for DS games. For those not familiar, DS games do not perfectly fit the 3DS' resolution and must be stretched to compensate for the extra pixels. A blur filter was added to the games to keep the pixels from looking strange when stretched to the new resolution. The result was a mixed bag among gamers, some hating the loss in quality. Now it seems that the update has improved the picture quality on DS games. Gamers are now noticing that DS games played on 3DS seem to have superior color more akin to how they looked on a Lite or DSi, and that the blur filter has been improved making 2D assets noticeably smoother. It wasn't listed as an official feature on the update however.

On a personal note, I too have noticed a difference in quality after trying it myself. I've tested Mario & Luigi 3, Chrono Trigger, and Golden Sun Dark Dawn. In all three, i noticed an improvement in comparison to the older version of the 3DS firmware. The games now all seem to look clearer and smoother, with better color to boot. The text was especially noticeable. It seems considerably better, i can't really tell much difference between DS games played on 3DS or a normal DS anymore. Before the update, DS games looked SLIGHTLY worse when played on a 3DS. Now to me though, they look almost no different at all. More people here should test some DS games and see if they agree that there's an improvement. Please post your own experiences here if you do for further confirmation.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess I will try once again, I especially remember my experience with pokemon black, it was really blurry, like what we got with a widescreened game boy game on the very first GBA.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If enough people come on and confirm this, i'll accept it as a legit news. If lots of people say there's no difference though, i'll just close this. I honestly think there's a noticeable improvement though, and i'm usually inclined to trust my eyes.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
hey, i just checked playing rocket slime, and yes, It did. It improved the graphics a bit.

edit: The pictures got sharpened up, its a bit blurry but not as blurry as before

dangerboy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
I'll try this later... Hmm but is it even possible to improve the graphics this way?
unsure.gif

emulators on DS/DSi were able to improve their scaling in later versions. i dont see why nintendo cant update their scaling on their own device.

i can also see why they would not list it as a feature because they dont want anyone misunderstanding and thinking 3DS has a lower quality display than DS/DSi

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
It seems true, although it would be neat if someone still had an unupdated 3DS to actually compare, since us seeing them better might be because of the power of imply.

Z

Zorua

Pearl definitely looks better with the update. I have an original copy of pearl and one on my acekard, I put the original one into my 3DS and the acekard into my DSiXl. They look almost identical, 3DS being the superior of them.
tongue.gif

Thaddeus_Twain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking a couple of days ago that DS games didn't look as bad as I remembered. I hadn't thought that the update could have improved something. I guess it's true then.

Thaddeus_Twain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prof. 9 said:
I'm going to call confirmation bias until we can see some comparison pics.

And I'm going to call it confirmed. See, we can call it whatever we want. But really, it's better. Just experience it for yourself!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wifi 7 routers are already out
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    and i'm still here on wifi 5
    all my stuff is wired anyway
    what annoys me is my server has 2.5g but i have nothing else that does
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No real point in 7 unless you have 5gb which no real point in it