[RUMOR] Bloomberg claims a "Switch Pro" is planned for Holiday 2021, will have an OLED display

fb-switch-1280x720.jpg

The reports claiming that a "Switch Pro", or at least a more powerful Nintendo Switch console will eventually release have been floating around since early 2018. At first, the Wall Street Journal was the initial reputable source to make such a certain statement, claiming both a budget-minded and "improved model" of Switch were in production, to which the Switch Lite and more power-efficient "Mariko" Switch released a short time later. Since then, fans have been clamoring for a Switch that can play games at higher framerates and resolutions. The rumor mill is cranking out yet another bit of tantalizing promise for eager Switch owners to latch onto: a revision sporting an OLED screen and 4K docked output is on the way.

Samsung Display Co. will start mass production of 7-inch, 720p-resolution OLED panels as early as June with an initial monthly target of just under a million units, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters. The displays are slated for shipment to assemblers around July, the people said. Representatives for Nintendo and Samsung Display declined to comment.

Bloomberg's Takashi Mochizuki, who previously predicted both the Mariko model revision and the smaller Switch Lite, is now saying that Nintendo is planning to announce a bigger, better Switch console later this year, with a release date that will be in time for the holiday season. The report claims that Samsung is currently working on mass-producing 7-inch 720p OLED screens, which will be shipped out around July, and that news of this production likely means Nintendo is aiming to use them in their improved Switch system. Bloomberg's source also stated that not only will the new Switch come with OLED, but it will also feature 4K resolution when docked. The article didn't mention any possible hardware changes that would be used to power such a high-resolution output.

“The OLED panel will consume less battery, offer higher contrast and possibly faster response time when compared to the Switch’s current liquid-crystal display,” said Yoshio Tamura, co-founder of display consultancy DSCC.

It seems we'll have to wait just a little longer to see if this rumor comes true.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Clearly because your a snowflake, i mean you quote your pc which i made no mention of and then claimed the dc to be what you said.

Either your stupid or your just seeking attention.

Facts i said are true, or prove me wrong, tell me Nintendo aren't porting its old games and planning to port more from the cube.

Stfu little boy

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect IF they release anything, it will probably include an increased internal capacity with any improved visuals.

I say this based on the trouble I am having managing titles between my switch lite and release day switch, (both 400 gb cards each) and a peculiarity in how Nintendo doesn't seem to want separate lists on each separate console. What's installed on one must show as installed on the other, and what's deleted on one, also (automatically) deletes from the other.

I know it is a bit off-topic but there appear to be some limitations and they usually release a newer console about the time the old one reaches their limitations/capacity. I have 130-150, paid titles between the two atm. There are more details/limits I've noticed I won't go into here though...

Baromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe a dumb question but... OLED screens are more expensive than LCDs, right? (I think it was the case some years ago but maybe OLED is more affordable nowadays?)
I always thought Nintendo wanted to have costs of production as low as possible so it kinda strange to imagine OLED screens on a Nintendo console...

Also, when we talk about 4K, does it mean the console hardware will be more powerful than current models? Honestly, I don't really care about 4K but being able to run most games at 60fps 1080p would be neat.

Frexxos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OLED on a gaming consoles is a stupid idea for one simple reason. Burn-in.

But OLED is way less energy consuming? So you have more battery time I guess?
And when your screen is broken. Nintendo wants you to buy again and again and again. Like the 2DS Xl consoles... So many of them.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a dumb question but... OLED screens are more expensive than LCDs, right? (I think it was the case some years ago but maybe OLED is more affordable nowadays?)
I always thought Nintendo wanted to have costs of production as low as possible so it kinda strange to imagine OLED screens on a Nintendo console...

So yes but, these aren't costing Nintendo too much since Samsung has a surplus they want to get rid of. Odds are high Nintendo may also charge more for this model, more than making up for it in profit. Given how well the Switch has been selling they can easily get away with it, as long as they differentiate this new model with enough features.

Also, when we talk about 4K, does it mean the console hardware will be more powerful than current models? Honestly, I don't really care about 4K but being able to run most games at 60fps 1080p would be neat.

A lot of people *want* this console to be more powerful to support 4K, but well, the Xbox One S also technically supports 4K, they could just implement an upscaling solution like that and call it a day. Right now I'm leaning towards these upgrades being about HDR support and not much more than that.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States

I would say it'll probably have overclocked cpu,gpu, and ram with some additional added, I would think it's going to upscaled 4k, as achieving true native 4k 60 fps isn't cheap, if you want this on pc you're already spending $300+ for a gpu, I could see 1080p or 1440p native res more likely, with the dock having upscaling hardware in it.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just want a powerful non-portable Nintendo console.
There's simply no way to cool the required TDP in a handheld. Look at the cooling required for the XSX and PS5. Even the XSS equivalent wouldn't stay cool in handheld.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well fuck me we have an attention seeking snowflake to quote a post nearly a week old.

We see your replies to others.

Just do the world a favor and troll off back under your bridge and let the adults talk.

And fyi to all the fan rumors of a pro, its fake, nintendo didnt ditch the design they had for no reason.

Making the lite ensured no old exploit could be revised and chose portable only.

The switch already has portable 720 resolution.

Itd be hard for it to do 4k in a tv with attached joycons as it fucks up as it is on the lite trying to attach other controlers on older games

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi