[RUMOR] Bloomberg claims a "Switch Pro" is planned for Holiday 2021, will have an OLED display

fb-switch-1280x720.jpg

The reports claiming that a "Switch Pro", or at least a more powerful Nintendo Switch console will eventually release have been floating around since early 2018. At first, the Wall Street Journal was the initial reputable source to make such a certain statement, claiming both a budget-minded and "improved model" of Switch were in production, to which the Switch Lite and more power-efficient "Mariko" Switch released a short time later. Since then, fans have been clamoring for a Switch that can play games at higher framerates and resolutions. The rumor mill is cranking out yet another bit of tantalizing promise for eager Switch owners to latch onto: a revision sporting an OLED screen and 4K docked output is on the way.

Samsung Display Co. will start mass production of 7-inch, 720p-resolution OLED panels as early as June with an initial monthly target of just under a million units, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters. The displays are slated for shipment to assemblers around July, the people said. Representatives for Nintendo and Samsung Display declined to comment.

Bloomberg's Takashi Mochizuki, who previously predicted both the Mariko model revision and the smaller Switch Lite, is now saying that Nintendo is planning to announce a bigger, better Switch console later this year, with a release date that will be in time for the holiday season. The report claims that Samsung is currently working on mass-producing 7-inch 720p OLED screens, which will be shipped out around July, and that news of this production likely means Nintendo is aiming to use them in their improved Switch system. Bloomberg's source also stated that not only will the new Switch come with OLED, but it will also feature 4K resolution when docked. The article didn't mention any possible hardware changes that would be used to power such a high-resolution output.

“The OLED panel will consume less battery, offer higher contrast and possibly faster response time when compared to the Switch’s current liquid-crystal display,” said Yoshio Tamura, co-founder of display consultancy DSCC.

It seems we'll have to wait just a little longer to see if this rumor comes true.

:arrow: Source

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone seems to be sleeping on the OLED here possibly being about HDR more than anything, actually putting the improved contrast/gamut to use. HDR from the dock would require 4K output for TV compatibility. In other words we may be looking at minimal basic upscaling the XB1S, just to enable HDR output. HDR does require devs to optimize for good results but its barely any difference in terms of processing. Reminder that the firmware entry that suggests a 4K dock does not show any higher clock settings. The target of this new revision may not be any kind of performance improvement, but rather just HDR support like the 1S did.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it'll come out on the same day as Mother 3 HD, Persona 5 Switch edition, Star Fox Grand Prix, Pokemon Stars, and Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

Don't forget F-Zero: "We've remembered it exist" special edition
Don't forget Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Banjo-Kazooie, Halo, and GameCube NSO

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah no amount of internal space would be enough...the last thing Nintendo wants people to do is stop buying games because they're out of storage space. I buy physical for 90% of my Switch games, and I'm still almost out of space using a 256GB mSD.

My 128GB mSD is full. And that's on my N3DS XL!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The bigger, better screen would probably be of interest. 4k upscaling isn't in any way a priority for me, but if it's included then yay I guess. Wonder if they'll have blocked the current style of modchips, so a new method would have to be found? IDK if the firmware diggers have enough info to predict an answer to that question, but if it looked like an appropriate modchip could be made from the existing design, maybe just finding the new points, then I'd be tempted to get one of these OLED Switches straight off.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4K while docked, but still 720p in handheld seems really odd. I can see adding an OLED screen and maybe upping the specs, but I highly doubt we'll see a full on 4K Switch.. Maybe the successor to the console, if one ever happens.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In comes the "Should I buy the Switch now or wait for the Switch Pro to come out?" questions.

Listen dudes and dudettes. It doesn't really matter. If it's anything like the PS4 and PS4 Pro, then it won't make a difference other than graphical enhancements and some major speedups in games with 60FPS/ Native 4K.

HOWEVER, seeing as how this is Nintendo, this may be something similar to the 3DS and N3DS where they released games that were only playable on the newer hardware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

4K while docked, but still 720p in handheld seems really odd. I can see adding an OLED screen and maybe upping the specs, but I highly doubt we'll see a full on 4K Switch.. Maybe the successor to the console, if one ever happens.
I'm guessing it's going to be upscaled?

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
"Most powerfull" (read: patchet for homebrew blocking)

About the scree... As Ps Vita 1k owner, you cant go wrong wth oled in any way.

My Switch games aren't washed out on my Switch screen, maybe your screen is of lower quality.

And for Gameboy Color games, I prefer this:
View attachment 249876

Over this:
View attachment 249877

Any day of the week.
you have preference and thats fine, but you cant honestly say lcd looksbetter than oled.

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
"Most powerfull" (read: patchet for homebrew blocking)

About the scree... As Ps Vita 1k owner, you cant go wrong wth oled in any way.

you have preference and thats fine, but you cant honestly say lcd looksbetter than oled.
No, OLED absolutely looks better for sure. My phone uses a Samsung Super AMOLED screen, and it's the best thing I've ever put my eyes on.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
No, OLED absolutely looks better for sure. My phone uses a Samsung Super AMOLED screen, and it's the best thing I've ever put my eyes on.
after i played vita 1k, everything else looks meh. although there are somegreat lcd screens but its hit ad miss,but i never saw a bad oled. only thing is burn in, but my vtaneverhad th t proble

StrayGuitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's possible, but even that'd be weird to implement if that's the case. I can't see much appeal in having stuff upscaled in this context, and I don't think it'd be as flashy to advertise. I'd either expect 1080p in handheld and 4k docked, with some seriously beefed up specs, or just 720 and 1080 like we're used to.

D

Deleted User

That's possible, but even that'd be weird to implement if that's the case. I can't see much appeal in having stuff upscaled in this context, and I don't think it'd be as flashy to advertise. I'd either expect 1080p in handheld and 4k docked, with some seriously beefed up specs, or just 720 and 1080 like we're used to.
There is no way Nintendo will release a native 4k console coming in the next 5 (maybe even 10) years when even Microsoft and Sony are struggling with this kind of resolution on their "next-gen" systems. I doubt there is even any kind of mobile chip in the console price range to be even able to render 3D games in that kind of res.

StrayGuitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no way Nintendo will release a native 4k console coming in the next 5 (maybe even 10) years when even Microsoft and Sony are struggling with this kind of resolution on their "next-gen" systems. I doubt there is even any kind of mobile chip in the console price range to be even able to render 3D games in that kind of res.

Yeah, that was part of my earlier point in the first post I made. I'm just saying it's really unlikely for them to even release a console with native upscaling to 4K.

playsaves3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol Nintendo doesn't need a new console. If anything, kudos to them for keeping the 3DS system going for 8 years. That means 8 years of not having to buy new hardware. I'm pretty sure everyone has figured out Nintendo doesn't give a crap about raw performance. What would you do with a PS5 graphics Mario? The same thing, right? There was no major leap in Mario's graphical evolution post Mario 64 despite hardware updates. The fun factor is the reason why I play my SNES, GBC, and Switch more than I play my PS4.

I have the Mariko from over the summer. You think yours is nice until you've experienced Switch on OLED. I can 100% guarantee that you'll agree once you experience it firsthand.
maybe that we could have more realistic behaving ai on the goombas and larger worlds

D

Deleted User

I think 4K is just another stupid rumor..

It probably started something like this:

Selfproclaimed videogame industry analyst: "Well everyone seems to be doing 4K these days, so I predict that Nintendo will release a new model that supports 4K"
INTERNET: "That's impossible"
Some other wiseguy: "Now now people, What if it uses DLSS? Nvidia has a partnership with Nintendo, that could work"
INTERNET: "That must be it!! We're all getting 4k Switches! Whoooo!"
Nintendo: "Guuuuuuys, We don't have anything to announce for like the 3rd time"
well... I would of written it off, if it wasn't for SciresM. Basically he found out in a switch update, the new model. And it's SOC would support 4k. How it does we don't know.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
what makes no sense is your comment of older games...... hello open your eyes the switch is a port whore and even nintendo cant be arsed, theyre porting cube/wii/wii u rather than make new.

and its nothing to do with fighting sony and microsoft, its giving the fucking game the option to have new fresh thrid party titles when it comes out, not wait for nintendo to release a new console.

it makes perfect sense if your able to not be a nintendo fan,

i dont get how you dont see this, so what your actually saying is, nintendo should not give gamers the option to play the new fresh titles as theyre released, you must wait years for nintendo to do another console to then be able to play them?

thats just fucking boring, buy a new console to play old games you already played and own and could buy for less.

but there is one thing i do know, those who are devoted to nintendo will never see or admit or accept, they will counter with some crap taking it completely off topic.

when its simple, you do not get the option to play majority of third party games when its new, unless they delay to dumb it down, the reason for this is because nintendo are cheap and refuse to provide the hardware.
its all about the price, nintendo will never release a 500$ console, and for the price of the switch 300$ you can never release anything closer to next gen for 300$ price, if the switch could do ps5 graphics on the go it wouldnt cost 500$ it would cost like 900$ due to being needed to be portable and light and no one would buy it.

you just dont get nintendo future aim, they want to keep the portability alive while also giving it a chance for local multiplayer and tv use, so they will never be able to do current gen specs on portable mode or the price would be insane.

Not to mention if nintendo did release a 500$ home console and most devs would just say hey its a kids brand so no need to waste time doing the port of our mature game, in the end it would turn out like the gamecube and wiiu, where they could play the current gen games just fine but most devs didnt want to bother doing the ports, because their target audience wasn't there.

In comes the "Should I buy the Switch now or wait for the Switch Pro to come out?" questions.

Listen dudes and dudettes. It doesn't really matter. If it's anything like the PS4 and PS4 Pro, then it won't make a difference other than graphical enhancements and some major speedups in games with 60FPS/ Native 4K.

HOWEVER, seeing as how this is Nintendo, this may be something similar to the 3DS and N3DS where they released games that were only playable on the newer hardware.

lol new 3ds had like 2 exclusive new 3ds games?

i dont see that as even a thing worth nothing lol, i think xenoblade chronicles port and minecraft were the only games exclusive to new 3ds afaik.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse