1. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Everyone seems to be sleeping on the OLED here possibly being about HDR more than anything, actually putting the improved contrast/gamut to use. HDR from the dock would require 4K output for TV compatibility. In other words we may be looking at minimal basic upscaling the XB1S, just to enable HDR output. HDR does require devs to optimize for good results but its barely any difference in terms of processing. Reminder that the firmware entry that suggests a 4K dock does not show any higher clock settings. The target of this new revision may not be any kind of performance improvement, but rather just HDR support like the 1S did.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Valwinz

Valwinz GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    wow 720p something youtube does not consider HD anymore

Scott_pilgrim and RobXcore like this.
  3. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    Don't forget Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Banjo-Kazooie, Halo, and GameCube NSO

4. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    My 128GB mSD is full. And that's on my N3DS XL!

5. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    The bigger, better screen would probably be of interest. 4k upscaling isn't in any way a priority for me, but if it's included then yay I guess. Wonder if they'll have blocked the current style of modchips, so a new method would have to be found? IDK if the firmware diggers have enough info to predict an answer to that question, but if it looked like an appropriate modchip could be made from the existing design, maybe just finding the new points, then I'd be tempted to get one of these OLED Switches straight off.

6. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    4K while docked, but still 720p in handheld seems really odd. I can see adding an OLED screen and maybe upping the specs, but I highly doubt we'll see a full on 4K Switch.. Maybe the successor to the console, if one ever happens.

7. Anon_Cypher_

Anon_Cypher_ GBAtemp Regular

Lebanon
    In comes the "Should I buy the Switch now or wait for the Switch Pro to come out?" questions.

Listen dudes and dudettes. It doesn't really matter. If it's anything like the PS4 and PS4 Pro, then it won't make a difference other than graphical enhancements and some major speedups in games with 60FPS/ Native 4K.

HOWEVER, seeing as how this is Nintendo, this may be something similar to the 3DS and N3DS where they released games that were only playable on the newer hardware.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm guessing it's going to be upscaled?

8. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    "Most powerfull" (read: patchet for homebrew blocking)

About the scree... As Ps Vita 1k owner, you cant go wrong wth oled in any way.

you have preference and thats fine, but you cant honestly say lcd looksbetter than oled.

Last edited by MetoMeto, Mar 4, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim and Jayro like this.
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    No, OLED absolutely looks better for sure. My phone uses a Samsung Super AMOLED screen, and it's the best thing I've ever put my eyes on.

10. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    after i played vita 1k, everything else looks meh. although there are somegreat lcd screens but its hit ad miss,but i never saw a bad oled. only thing is burn in, but my vtaneverhad th t proble

Scott_pilgrim and Jayro like this.
  11. StrayGuitarist

United States
    That's possible, but even that'd be weird to implement if that's the case. I can't see much appeal in having stuff upscaled in this context, and I don't think it'd be as flashy to advertise. I'd either expect 1080p in handheld and 4k docked, with some seriously beefed up specs, or just 720 and 1080 like we're used to.

12. fallguy441

fallguy441 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    There is no way Nintendo will release a native 4k console coming in the next 5 (maybe even 10) years when even Microsoft and Sony are struggling with this kind of resolution on their "next-gen" systems. I doubt there is even any kind of mobile chip in the console price range to be even able to render 3D games in that kind of res.

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Yeah, it will likely be the same 1080p output were used to, but with some kind of 4K upscaler in the dock.

14. StrayGuitarist

United States
    Yeah, that was part of my earlier point in the first post I made. I'm just saying it's really unlikely for them to even release a console with native upscaling to 4K.

15. djpannda

djpannda GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I kinda like what twitter is calling it ... the Super Nintendo Switch or the "Super Switch"

16. playsaves3

playsaves3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    maybe that we could have more realistic behaving ai on the goombas and larger worlds

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

well... I would of written it off, if it wasn't for SciresM. Basically he found out in a switch update, the new model. And it's SOC would support 4k. How it does we don't know.

18. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    THEN you would have a lot of pennies.

19. RobXcore

RobXcore Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Chile
    & Knuckles.

20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    its all about the price, nintendo will never release a 500$ console, and for the price of the switch 300$ you can never release anything closer to next gen for 300$ price, if the switch could do ps5 graphics on the go it wouldnt cost 500$ it would cost like 900$ due to being needed to be portable and light and no one would buy it.

you just dont get nintendo future aim, they want to keep the portability alive while also giving it a chance for local multiplayer and tv use, so they will never be able to do current gen specs on portable mode or the price would be insane.

Not to mention if nintendo did release a 500$ home console and most devs would just say hey its a kids brand so no need to waste time doing the port of our mature game, in the end it would turn out like the gamecube and wiiu, where they could play the current gen games just fine but most devs didnt want to bother doing the ports, because their target audience wasn't there.

lol new 3ds had like 2 exclusive new 3ds games?

i dont see that as even a thing worth nothing lol, i think xenoblade chronicles port and minecraft were the only games exclusive to new 3ds afaik.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Bloomberg, [RUMOR], planned