[Rumor] Amazon to buy Xbox brand!?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by DinohScene, Feb 16, 2014.

1. DinohScene
    OP

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Couple of days after the reports that investors wanted the new Microsoft CEO to dissolve the Xbox division the company, rumors go that Amazon is willing to buy the brand.

Well known industry insider Pete Dodd supposidly knows more...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He further mentioned this on neogaf:
    Microsoft denies this, naturally.
    But seeing how they also denied the dissolvement of Windows Live Messenger at first.
    I'd say it's possible, tho incredibly foolish.

As for now, take it with some salt.
    It still is a rumor.

Source: here

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Very intriguing :D

3. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I would love it if microsoft sold xbox. It would allow them to put more resources in to making Windows 9 good after the crapfest that 8 was. Besides, I've never cared for the Xbox much. Maybe Amazon could make it better.

T Link7, Jiehfeng and the_randomizer like this.
  4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    On a scale of likelihood from 1 to 10, I'm putting this at a firm "Nah."

Of course they could. Amazon delivers.

Ammako, TyBlood13, BoxmanWTF and 14 others like this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    DO IT NOA!!!

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...when microsoft was considering a new CEO, it was one of the candidates (Stephen Elop) that voiced this idea. Unfortunately for him, Satya Nadella took that job. That's probably where this rumour originated from.

That, and that amazon recently bought Double helix, probably led to this rumour.

And while I can see why amazon would like to buy it, I don't believe microsoft is going to do it. They just sank some millions in developing and manufacturing the xbone. Now is the time where it starts to earn back that money, so even if MS wanted to focus on their core audience again (and make windows less like a freakin' touchscreen interface) this would be a terrible time to do so.

7. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    Costello should buy Xbox

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Do note that as this article says it would likely take several years at the very least to do something like this. And even if it could be arranged instantly, they could just make Amazon pay them parts of the profits earned with Xbox One related things, or the entire R&D cost if they were willing to pay that much.

9. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    Amazon drones.
    Amazon Xbox.

and people thought Google was skynet.

[​IMG]

10. Kwartel

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    I think this would be a bad idea. They have this strong infrastructure where you have MS software for everything and ditching the whole or partly the entertainment branch would make them loose a part of what makes them awesome. They're really close at getting everything click all their services and OS's together and I really think that the Xbox One has a place in that.

11. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Considering what Amazon are and what they're already into, I don't find this hard to believe at all. Video games are probably one of the biggest selling categories on Amazon, their margin would increase if they were getting paid the royalties as well as selling the games directly. Actually developing and distributing a device that is owned and connected by millions can only be a good thing for them too. I imagine they'd be eager to push Amazon Instant Video and LoveFilm by having them more tightly integrated into the XBox OS. Imagine how much their pre-orders would increase if they were marketing them directly via the XBox One (or next XBox) menu.

However big their interest, though, Microsoft have to agree to sell it at a price Amazon think is reasonable. So, if this rumour is started by the CEO saying "I wouldn't mind buying the XBox", there's a lot of obstacles between that thought and the eventual reality.

Microsoft still haven't recovered from the original cost of entering the console hardware market, and the money they make from the XBox relatively small compared with the other divisions. With calls from investors to ditch it to concentrate on software and services, the new CEO will surely be weighing up the options.

Also, inb4 "Buy it, Nintendo!"

chavosaur likes this.
  12. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Nintendo Xbox Two™, but not, I think we could see Ninty buying PS than buying the Xbox.(Playstation is the biggest rival to Nintendo on Japan.)
    On-Topic:
    I don't think they would sell the Xbox Branch, since the videogame market is pretty lucrative and the Xbox sells well, they could get the money that they wasted in the console hardware market.
    But the Xbox division doesn't give a lot of money for MS(They get a minimal profit comparated to the other divisions), so from another PoV, they could sell the branch to Amazon and keep making software to the Amazon Xbox.

13. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Now I'm imagining Amazon and Microsoft, exchanging furtive glances, waiting for the other one to make an offer, and blushing like kids on a first date. Mamihlapinatapai.

Buy it Valve :tpi:

I wonder what Nintendo would call the console if they bought it. Xbox U?

XB^U

McHaggis likes this.
  14. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Well, Wii U is a pun-like thing.
    Wii sounds like We and Wii U sounds like We You. :P
    So we need a pun for the Xbox name! :teach:

15. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

The UBox. Obviously.

16. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    The "One" part must be acknowledged too.

The UBone.

Warrior522 likes this.
  17. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I wouldnt mind this at all Actually. Amazon already offers PC digital games at pretty sweet deals, if anything them aquiring Xbox would mean theyd actually know how to start offering better offers for their userbase.
    Dont get me wrong, I like My Xbox One and all, and my 360, But even I know im getting screwed in the butt when it comes to Microsoft and good gaming deals.
    PSN is a perfect example of an awesome service for its consumer base. Free games, Special sales, etc. Amazon would probably cater more to the Xbox Audience moreso then Microsoft ever did.

6SoulTriox and EZ-Megaman like this.
  18. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Would this mean that Amazon would stop selling Playstation branded/Nintendo products?

19. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    I agree Amazon cares for their customers, unlike apple, and Microsoft, but you gotta be strict sometimes, but not to a full scale like mircosoft, and apple.

chavosaur likes this.
  20. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Probably not.