Rudolphs/3in1 O_o ???

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by IdiotCow, Feb 6, 2008.

1. IdiotCow
    OP

IdiotCow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2007
    United States
    Ok, I'm running advance wars (1.0, 1.1) - which patching for some reason has been giving me trouble...

1st - 1.0 unpatched - strange save stuff going on (to be expected) played a bit, lost my save... my own dumb fault for not patching

2nd - 1.0 patched with GBATA - crashes on save in 3in1, boots to whitescreen & locks up in VBA - wierd... GBATA SRAM patching funky?

3rd - 1.1 patched with GBATA - same as 2nd

4th - 1.1 patched with EZ4 - same funkyness as original (maybe didn't really patch?)

5th - 1.1 patched with EZ4 - but this time I loaded a save from Gamefaqs (converted with VBA) - when I booted through rudolphs I got nothing, but when I booted straight to the 3in1 *IT LOADED THE SAV FILE*

I thought hey, progress! we're in buisness... one final test though - I loaded another game to the NOR, and then back to AW - and that killed my SAV... so rudolphs is NOT going to back up my progress...

anyone have anything to add to this? am I just screwed or is there a solution here I'm missing?

-J

2. IdiotCow
    OP

IdiotCow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2007
    United States
    Solution: don't use rudolphs, use GBALDR - seems to be working fine, loaded AW to NOR played, saved, and loaded another game and then BACK to AW... it loaded fine...

hope it works and I don't get 1/2 way though only to lose my save

maybe I'll backup every now and then [​IMG]

-J

3. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Advance Wars works just fine with the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool ("Rudolph's"). I tested it just now, and both 1.0 and 1.1 work as they should when patched with GBATA.

4. IdiotCow
    OP

IdiotCow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2007
    United States
    with the R4? what version of the R4 software? I'm using the latest everything... and it's still being strange...

This problem is so weird - now I can save/load just fine when I use GBALdr, but when I boot straight to NOR the game hangs when I try to save...

it works for now.. so I guess I'm ok... still confused why its doing this... [​IMG]

5. Destructobot

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    I'm using an M3 Simply, which is the same as an R4. I tried it with loaders 1.10 and 1.11, which are equivalent to 1.14 and 1.15 on the R4.

6. IdiotCow
    OP

IdiotCow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2007
    United States
    Ok, just tested again with the euro version - and it works better (for some weird reason) I can save & load just fine as long as I'm booting from the loader (both loaders, PSRAM/NOR, the works). However, if I try to boot directly from slot 2 (using NOR) - when I try to save it hangs... is this documented at all? or is this some weird problem with my DS/3in1?

I'm mainly curious at this point... I can easily play the game - but it would be nice to know what's going on...

7. Destructobot

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    I had been running the game from PSRAM when I tested it earlier. I just tried running the game (US v1.1) from NOR, and I get the same behavior you described. If I boot the game from the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool it works properly, but if I run it from the R4/Simply menu or the DS menu it hangs on the 'saving data' message.

This seems to be a problem with the "FLASH_V121 (512kbit)" save type. I tested Chu Chu Rocket (which uses the same save type) and it won't save properly when I run the game from NOR, but it does work when I run the game from PSRAM. I also tried Golden Sun, which uses a different 512kbit Flash save type, and it saves properly regardless of how I run the game. I SRAM patched both games with GBATA.

Fortunately, there are only twelve different GBA releases that use this save type, and half of those are different regions/versions of Advance Wars and Chu Chu Rocket.

8. IdiotCow
    OP

IdiotCow Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2007
    United States
    Well... I guess that's good - that my hardware isn't behaving completely out of the ordinary (aka something broken)

it's strange that it works from the loader, but not straight from the exp pack... I wonder what the deal is...

oh well - its working enough for now [​IMG]

thanks for the help / confirming the bug

-J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice