RTS games on consoles

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Real-time strategy games are typically found on PC. Usually the lack of keyboard+mouse creates the need for creative solutions in terms of controls and gameplay. Let us discuss RTS games on consoles.

I want to start with:

Goblin Commander (GC and others):

Unlike in most RTS, the cursor always stays centered! Thankfully, the range of the control stick is used well. The developers could have used a combination of two sticks but they probably decided against it because three face buttons are used constantly. The game basically works without a "left click", and instead has 3 "right clicks": A, B and X refer to three different armies (each of which can consist of up to 10 different units). Of course this gameplay design reduces complexity, but to be honest, it is complex enough (especially for a console RTS game) and e.g. Warcraft 3 also rarely uses more than 3 main armies.
The fighting itself is mostly automatic (units fight enemies on the way to their target), but through the Y button the player can take direct control of an army. The game then becomes a bit more like a 3rd-Person RTS game like Pikmin or Battalion Wars (though with less control over individual units). This mode is in fact necessary for special units: Titans. The rest of the armies can be ordered to follow (L + pressing the corresponding face buttons twice).
The L button can also be used for giving chain commands (usually the shift or ctrl button in PC games) and even quick map selection (L + Dpad Up for choosing important spots; just the Dpad for accessing them).

The game does have base building (including defence towers) but no specific labor units. Instead, mining is done by the armies themselves: Gold by destroying buildings and environmental structures (it is used for repairing, upgrades and certain units/buildings); "Souls" by capturing specific spots which gradually replenish the main source for recruiting more units at the base. There are also rune stones and teleport spots.
I would definitely recommend it. I have yet to try the Multiplayer (two players).

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No touchscreen?

Anyway tried several. On Cannon Fodder and Dune 2 on the megadrive have ever been playable, and I would take a mouse any time for those.

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It looks like Cities is on the PS4, maybe it works because there's so many buttons. But the Wii made sense for that.
Sadly, the Wii does not have many RTS games.

1) Battalion Wars 2
-3rd person view
-no ability to send troops to any point (even though it was present in the predecessor on Gamecube; would have been much easier with the Wiimote)
-no abilty to give commands on the map screen
-no base building (but capturing them sometimes results in a continuous supply of units)
-two player online MP (symmetrical or asymmetrical VS modes or Co-Op missions)

2) Takt of Magic (Japan-only; English patch exists for the menu texts)
-successor to a DS game
-campaign and tons of extra missions
-no base building
-slow gameplay which revolves around making certain motions with the pointer for casting spells
-very large number of spells (combining them)
-two player online VS mode

3) Monsteca Corral (Wiiware)
-amazing controls
-very weird gameplay concept
-up to 4 players (Co-Op)

4) Anno
-slightly simplified gameplay (trade between islands; warfare)
-great controls (except that you cannot control more than one ship at once)

5) Swords and Soldiers
-RTS in 2D
-2 player VS mode

6) Pikmin 1 and 2
-Gamecube ports with Wiimote controls
-for up to 2 players (Pikmin 2)

7) Overlord
-somewhat similar to the Pikimin series
-simple level design and occasional AI problems
-pinpoint execution of commands

That is pretty much it - correct me, if I´m wrong. I don´t think the Wii U had any Wiimote RTS games besides Pikmin 3.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
Reactions: Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Sadly, the Wii does not have many RTS games.

1) Battalion Wars 2
-3rd person view
-no ability to send troops to any point (even though it was present in the predecessor on Gamecube; would have been much easier with the Wiimote)
-no abilty to give commands on the map screen
-no base building (but capturing them sometimes results in a continuous supply of units)
-two player online MP (symmetrical or asymmetrical VS modes or Co-Op missions)

2) Take of Magic (Japan-only; English patch exists for the menu texts)
-successor to a DS game
-campaign and tons of extra missions
-no base building
-slow gameplay which revolves around making certain motions with the pointer for casting spells
-very large number of spells (combining them)
-two player online VS mode

3) Monsteca Corral (Wiiware)
-amazing controls
-very weird gameplay concept
-up to 4 players (Co-Op)

4) Pikmin 1 and 2
-Gamecube ports with Wiimote controls
-for up to 2 players (Pikmin 2)

5) Overlord
-somewhat similar to the Pikimin series
-simple level design and occasional AI problems
-pinpoint execution of commands

That is pretty much it - correct me, if I´m wrong. I don´t think the Wii U had any Wiimote RTS games besides Pikmin 3.

There was also Dawn of Discovery, which is a Anno game. Probably my favorite of the bunch. There was also the pc version, which I didn't play, but the Wii version was clearly made from the ground up.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only rts game I really liked on console was swords & soldiers, and that's a side scroller that makes use of the wiiu touchpad (and arguably more a moba or tower defense game).
About the only 'real' rts outside of pc I really liked is rusted warfare, and that's on freaking android.

Oh, right... It's still on my backlog, but tooth & tail is apparently pretty good.

There was also Dawn of Discovery, which is a Anno game. Probably my favorite of the bunch. There was also the pc version, which I didn't play, but the Wii version was clearly made from the ground up.
... But the anno games are simulation games. Sure, you've got a few military units, but the far majorly is about building your city.

Rail Fighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
The only rts game I really liked on console was swords & soldiers, and that's a side scroller that makes use of the wiiu touchpad (and arguably more a moba or tower defense game).
About the only 'real' rts outside of pc I really liked is rusted warfare, and that's on freaking android.

Oh, right... It's still on my backlog, but tooth & tail is apparently pretty good.

... But the anno games are simulation games. Sure, you've got a few military units, but the far majorly is about building your city.
81E3z4moBcL._SY445_.jpg

(European version)

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Usually RTS matches end with destroying enemy units or bases. But I guess it is also not always the case in the Pikmin series, so I added the game.

@Taleweaver: Swords and Soldiers is a great game. I have only played it on Wii U (which btw also has Wiimote controls) but you are correct, it is on Wii. However, I disagree that it could be called MOBA or Tower Defence. It is indeed a normal RTS except in 2D and no way to stop units once they are recruited.

Rail Fighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Erm... Okay, I guess I stand corrected :it's about creating a WORLD instead of a city. But am I missing a 'btw Taleweaver: this is an rts' somewhere in small print? :unsure:

Sorry, I forgot the definition of RTS was more specifically about that. That's what happens when you play the Wii for too long.:yaywii:

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Usually RTS matches end with destroying enemy units or bases. But I guess it is also not always the case in the Pikmin series, so I added the game.

@Taleweaver: Swords and Soldiers is a great game. I have only played it on Wii U (which btw also has Wiimote controls) but you are correct, it is on Wii. However, I disagree that it could be called MOBA or Tower Defence. It is indeed a normal RTS except in 2D and no way to stop units once they are recruited.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I lied earlier.

PS1 had a Wargames RTS thing (quite why an early 80s if not classic then super influential film got a 1998 PS1 game based in the same universe I can not say). That was not so bad, though if anything that is more the prototype DOTA/MOBA (you are mostly a powerful unit that can call in and sometimes deploy your own units, there is co-op too) in the same way Rampart is probably the prototype tower defense than anything akin to a traditional RTS in whatever style you might be familiar.

Mission starting just after the 2 hour mark illustrating that somewhat.
Apparently the PC was straight multi unit controlling affair, but otherwise with the same missions, but I never played that version.

At the time most would probably have compared it to something like the Strike series (as in Desert Strike, Jungle Strike) but looking back now...

Either way I will stand by a statement of most console controls (or anything that is not touchscreen, mouse or maybe on rare occasion trackball) are not conducive to rapid selection, deployment and redeployment of units that makes up the bulk of most real time strategy play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1