Hacking RToolDS ROM Manager

NDSFreak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Silo, is coding a new ROM Manager application for DS ROMs.

QUOTE said:
RtoolDS is a ROM Management and Cart Transfer Utility.
It compliments NDScrc (or not if you don't use it).
It has been written to be all about copying to your cart as a lot of other
programs are just about ROM management.
It currently runs on Windows Platforms, but I’ve had success running it on
Linux and OS X. (will be implemented later)
If you liked RTool64 for the Nintendo 64, then you should like this (as the I
wrote that too).

Current Features
Nice GUI with Icons, In-Game and Case graphics
Automatic Game Save Copying and Backups
Supports Safe File Trimming
Works with Uncompressed, Zip, 7-Zip and Rar Files
Various Filtering Options
Can maintain it’s own database or use NDScrc’s (to save time and duplication)
Downloads all Rom information
Custom Tags for ROMs (Think of Lists)
And more when I think of it.

2008-08-04 Update RToolDS V0.3.1382
excl.gif
Fixed Image Downloading

2008-06-20 RToolDS V0.3.1342
excl.gif
Added the Ability to Change the NFO Viewer Font
excl.gif
Added Support for SuperCard DS One 512k Save Device
excl.gif
Fixed Invalid Shortcut
excl.gif
Icon Loading Speedup for Linux Port
excl.gif
Changed M3 DS Real Card's save type to .sav
excl.gif
Fixed Blank Lines in Log Window

2008-06-11 Update RToolDS V0.3.1333
excl.gif
Added a Wi-Fi Tag, to show only Wi-Fi Enabled ROMs
excl.gif
Added Support for Multiple ROMs Per Archive File
excl.gif
Added acekard2/rpg Support (Filename.nds.sav)
excl.gif
Added Search ROM Subdirectories to Initial Wizard.
excl.gif
Enables 001-100, 101-200 Directories etc..
excl.gif
Added UNC Support

If you use NDScrc or one of ADVANsCEne's OfflineList dats you don't have to download the images again, just point RToolDS to the directory that NDScrc uses for images, for OfflineList you have to copy all images to one directory and point to that.

You can download it HERE

snap1rtool.png

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't understand what programs such as this are useful for......I have ROMs on my HDD......I trim them and then copy them to my microSD. The only external program I needed was the trimmer (NDSTokyoTrim). Everything else was handled by Windows.

What am I missing here? What makes this program necessary or especially useful? I'm quite serious with my question. I don't get it and I'm trying to understand.
wacko.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't understand what programs such as this are useful for......I have ROMs on my HDD......I trim them and then copy them to my microSD. The only external program I needed was the trimmer (NDSTokyoTrim). Everything else was handled by Windows.

What am I missing here? What makes this program necessary or especially useful? I'm quite serious with my question. I don't get it and I'm trying to understand.
wacko.gif

When you have several hundred ROMs on your computer , its much easier to keep them in and copy them from a list like this, which organizes them for you. Also keeps save management from being a nightmare.

And since you apparently can't read, I'll copy the useful information for you:
QUOTECurrent Features

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Rayder said:

wacko.gif

When you have several hundred ROMs on your computer , its much easier to keep them in and copy them from a list like this, which organizes them for you. Also keeps save management from being a nightmare.

And since you apparently can't read, I'll copy the useful information for you:
QUOTECurrent Features

I DID read the change log. I still don't see the point.

And I asked an honest question. I don't need a smartass remark for an answer.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I DID read the change log. I still don't see the point.

And I asked an honest question. I don't need a smartass remark for an answer.

OBVIOUS POWERS, ACTIVATE.

QUOTENice GUI with Icons, In-Game and Case graphics
Save management can get ridiculous. This takes care of it for you
Auto-trims when you copy the ROMs, so you can maintain an original collection without having to trim every time
Saves A LOT of space
Easier to find ROMs
Useful for some
^
Further helps you sort ROMs, keep track of ones you need to play

This in addition to the fact that using your default file browser provides no advantages.

Xtreme Bug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:

wacko.gif

It's not necessary by any means, it just makes the whole process of managing roms easier and a tad bit nicer. Say for example you have 2000 DS roms, and you're in the mood for a puzzle game, well, you simple just use a program and have it sort the genres out and you can then choose what you want. Using folders though, you'd have to know exactly what it is that you want, or else you'd have to go through each file, one by one until you find something that you think is what you'd be interested in playing.

Also, Instead of finding a rom, unzip it, run it through a trimmer, and then transferring it onto your flash card, while making sure you have the most recent save file, you could just find the rom using a manager, and just drag it to your flash card, and that's it.

Really, no different than having a media library under iTunes or WMP. You could just handle everything from folders, but it just makes things nicer having a cover you can look at while you go through, and be able to filter through the files other than using just the file name / size.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm....so I gave this a look and pointed it to where all my ROM packs (individual zips of 50 ROMs from 0001 to current) and it didn't see them. I guess the method I use (which I've used successfully since day 1) isn't compatible with this program.

NDSFreak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Minox_IX said:
I don't see any reason to use this, Imo Rominator works much better.

In what way do you think Rominator works much better, just curious so it can be improved, it has only been public for 1 day you know

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
In what way do you think Rominator works much better, just curious so it can be improved, it has only been public for 1 day you know

since your asking what can be improved.....

i like that you can verify, rename & repack your files with OfflineList is it possible you can add this to RToolDS?

EDIT

also my saves are getting saved as 61D9A2D5.sav.001 is that right? is it possible to save them the same name as the rom?

NDSFreak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
helpme said:
QUOTE said:

since your asking what can be improved.....

i like that you can verify, rename & repack your files with OfflineList is it possible you can add this to RToolDS?

EDIT

also my saves are getting saved as 61D9A2D5.sav.001 is that right? is it possible to save them the same name as the rom?

I will forward that to Silo who made RToolDS and get back or maybe you can ask him yourself

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nice fast tool, Rominator's main problem on my computer was speed and another very good improvement is the external source for the game icons. In Rominator you have to unextract your whole ROM collection to get the icons. The NFO reader is nice too. Thanks a lot, I'm using it from now on.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.