RTC patch breaks Soft Reset compatibility?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Ammako, Jul 13, 2011.

Jul 13, 2011
  1. Ammako
    OP

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    So far, every rom of Pokémon Ruby or Sapphire I tried had in-game Soft Reset working fine.
    However, when I apply the RTC patch, it somehow breaks in-game Soft Reset and makes it non-working.

Is there a workaround for this?

2. kuwanger

Member kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

Presumably the issue would be that soft reset has a set place it puts its handler and the RTC patch also has a set place it puts its handler and the two conflict. It could also be that both work by patching the various places the keypad is read. In either case, if you're using an EZ-Flash IV, it's possibly my modification of Dwedit's sleep tool, sleephack, will do the trick by avoid one of the above. Having said that, you might have the same issues. I don't have/play Pokemon and have never tested it, and I do not recall whether people have success with my modification of Dwedit's tool and Pokemon. Still, I'd imagine it's at least worth the effort to you to try it out.

3. Ammako
    OP

Canada
    That was unexpected 0_o

I tried the patched rom like you suggested.
    When I soft reset with L+R+Start+Select, it booted up ezfla_up.bin and updated the EZ-Flash again, while backing up whatever was in SRAM.

Would it be possible to get it to use A+B+Start+Select for Soft-Reset instead?

4. kuwanger

Here's a modified version of an A+B+Start+Select patch.bin that should work with A+B+Start+Select. I might create a simple python script or program to allow patching patch.bin to choose the soft-reset and sleep/wake keys at some point. In any case, replace sleephack's patch.bin with this new patch.bin and it should work fine. If not, please let me know, as I've only did a little bit of testing.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you leave ezfla_up.bin on your miniSD?

5. Ammako
    OP

Canada
    Thank you so much, it works now.

And I keep ezfla_up.bin on my miniSD because I had trouble finding it for various reasons, I'd rather keep it there in case I lose the original one.
    And it only takes 1mb of space on my 2GB miniSD.

6. kuwanger

7. Ammako
    OP

Canada
    I guess it should work with any game that has soft-reset broken?
    Like Yoshi's Island (U) and Zelda A Link to the Past?

My theory on why Soft-Reset doesn't work on those is that they have a built-in sleep mode that conflicts with the EZ4's soft-reset.