RRoD Trouble after Coin and X-Clamp Solution

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Rockman GFF, Jan 30, 2010.

Jan 30, 2010
  1. Rockman GFF
    OP

Member Rockman GFF GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This happened with 2 Xboxes I've had for a while. One had the Penny Trick on it and worked fine down the road for months until the most recent Ban Wave happened. Thankfully it stopped me from playing on that single day. I fixed that issue with the X-Clamp fix and everything worked fine.

The Second Xbox I acquired from eBay and fixed it with the Penny Trick, then had to do the X-Clamp Fix on that one after it RRoD'd.

The First one I had to keep turning off and on to tune the Drive better for backups because it was reading them incorrectly, and I was doing this without the Multimeter which I should of bought. It's one of those Boxes that takes a few seconds afterward to shut off. It's completed Red Ringed, even the Towel Trick doesn't work now.

The Second froze when I was playing SFIV with a Friend, days later it worked fine playing Madden. Now it just freezes when it tries to Install Games.

I've cleared Cache, and used different HDDs. I recently upgraded to 250GB and this was around the time it happened. I'm just not so sure what to do with these two broken ones anymore. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    As always, more information can be very useful. Have a look at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726 for all the different error codes behind red rings. See what error code you get, then google for more information or just tell us and we can advise what to try.

If an Xbox freezes, there's either something overheating, something dirty, something faulty, or something that's not getting the correct signals. Any errors in the RAM causes an instant freeze, and the same applies for the CPU since communication between them is key. It could also be the GPU or the Ana chips, although they tend to result in artefacts and not freezing. From experience though, freezing = RRoD around the corner. What you can do though is simply unplug stuff and plug stuff back in. Sometimes that clears a bit of static from the contacts and makes things work, but more often it won't help at all.

You can also try just leaving it on for a while, say 20 minutes, and seeing if it freezes on its own. If so, you know there's a RRoD coming so reheating might help. It might also be possible that you tightened the screws too tightly when you did the X-Clamp fix, or used bad thermal paste. Many things can go wrong, but just think your way through them and you should get it working again before long. With luck.

3. LittleJonny -Tea

Newcomer LittleJonny -Tea Member

Australia
    All those "fixes" are temperary and dont really fix the underlying issue. The only reall way to fix it on a permanent basis is to put the board back in an infra-red reflow oven and replace any upgrade the offending parts that caused it to overheat in the first place. It works a charm. [​IMG]

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    One question about that: how many people have an infra-red reflow oven, or even know what one looks like?

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Penny fix, 3 years and still going strong [​IMG]

It's just a question of luck.

6. LittleJonny -Tea

Newcomer LittleJonny -Tea Member

Australia
    Penny/ Clamp fixes are the better of the ghetto fixes.

Ive done just about every repair going and invented a few... it really depends on the console. One things for sure though eventually all ghetto fixes fail again, whether its 3 days or 3 years......but they can offer great value if you have nothing to loose.

-Just my 2 pennys worth. [​IMG]