Hacking rrod on my new board

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok everything seemed ok, but then i felt at the back of the console and it seemed a little hot i have it out in the open so it's got plenty of vent, but i don't know if those crappy fans that are inside are working? i ended up getting two red lights on the left hand side so i quickly turned it off, i have tried it since then and it seems ok, but i am guessing that when it gets hot again around the back it will do it again, does anybody know a good cheap place to get better fans to replace those crappy one's that microsoft put in?
this is a xenon board, i fitted it a few weeks ago and flashed my hitachi drive and got my games backed up
i just really think it's those fans inside.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You could hook your fans up to 7v/12v directly.
You could also make a hole in the side and mount a 60MM there and hook it up to 12v.

It'll be loud but it'll carry away any heat ;]

More info here & here and make your back mesh look like this

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Talismoon fans are...
Pretty much only good for the fancy LEDS
It cools equally to the stock fans.
So you're really looking at a fan mod if you want to keep it cool ;p

However I do remember something with them having a switch that lets them spin harder..

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the mod looks like it could be hard to do? i wish i could just buy a better fan to put in, but i think the mesh inside does need to be cut out some, i really don't like how it is to concealed, i have another case and another fan here somewhere. i might check those fans out, if all else fails then i guess i will have no choice but to try and mod it. have you got your's modded with a fan like that? and how hard was it to solder the points? i have some experince in soldering, i used to solder circuits boards for air bag control units, but i'm a little rusty, it's been a while.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool, could you post a pic and how you did that?, i took the xbox apart and ran it with the cover off for a short while and it seemed ok, the fan was spinning so i know that works, then i put the top cover back on and let my daughter play it and i checked on her a few minutes later, the fan started spinning up faster and i felt the back and it was getting hotter then the fans span even faster and then the two red lights.
so i am left scratching my head?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you're handy with a few tools and a steady hand, you could always try cleaning off the old thermal paste from the CPU and GPU and applying new paste, like Arctic Silver 5; it's on the pricier side, but it is VERY effective provided you apply it correctly (a little goes a LONG way).

Cleaned the inside out? Any dust in it?

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep the copper heatpipe, it always looks to me to be incomplete for some reason lol, i used arctic silver 5 on the cpu and gpu.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Have you got a picture of it?

I can't find a pic of me having it installed (cba to crack that thing open atm ;p)
But if you really want me to post a pic of how I installed it then I'll crack it open and show you ;]

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, extra cooling never hurts, that's for sure. However, and I'll let Dinoh correct me on this if I am wrong, but I have read that the GPU doesn't have the thermal register in it; the CPU does. Thus, the GPU getting too hot isn't going to cause it to display the two left lights (overheat code), meaning your problem lies within the cooling system for the CPU. Granted, better cooling of the GPU leads to a longer lasting system.

Not to doubt your skills, but since I don't know how proficient you are in the area - how much paste did you apply? I'll admit when I first pasted my desktop CPU I kinda slathered it on... little did I know you're just supposed to do a tiny drop in the center and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it out. I've never had a system that I pasted that way over heat on me again.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Aye.
Yer I should get one
Install it and mount a fan on it~
Also, cut a small hole in the side of the case in front of the CPU cooler and install a fangrill there like I did.
ftQ4jD7.jpg

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used just a small amount, maybe the size of piece of rice, but i spread it out myself, do you think i should clean it off and just put a dab on again and just sit the heatsink on it and do like you said and let the heatsink spread it?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, extra cooling never hurts, that's for sure. However, and I'll let Dinoh correct me on this if I am wrong, but I have read that the GPU doesn't have the thermal register in it; the CPU does. Thus, the GPU getting too hot isn't going to cause it to display the two left lights (overheat code), meaning your problem lies within the cooling system for the CPU. Granted, better cooling of the GPU leads to a longer lasting system.

Stock 2LOD is registered on the CPU (stupid Microderp >_>)
And Thermal shutdown is regulated on when the GPU/CPU reach a certain temperature (100+ for Xenons) MS claims.
But the CPU and GPU and RAM have thermal sensors that can display the current temperature of the chip (hence FSD utilizes it)

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end