Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Angry Birds Merch-620x.jpg

Quote 1

Most companies go out of their way to protect their intellectual property. The scenarios, stories, and characters found in famous gaming titles are the lifeblood of many companies; allowing others to take their creative works can invite financial ruin.

Sometimes, though, a little copyright infringement might not be so bad. According to Rovio CEO Peter Vesterbacka, copyright infringement for Angry Birds products is running rampant in China ... and that's a good thing.

Quote 2

Sometimes, this sort of illegal activity acts to balance out a market that fails to provide a legal means for getting your hands on certain products. This doesn't make it any less illegal, but when laws get in the way of willing consumers, there might be a problem. Vesterbacka isn't faulting pirates and infringers in China because he understands his company isn't providing Chinese consumers with the products they want. Even in Rovio's absence, the

Source:
http://www.destructo...ds-214939.phtml

My Thoughts:
Finally! A company actually gets it. Piracy isn't evil but a "necessary evil". It's a marketplace equalizer and when allowed in manageable burst can really help to boost legitimate sales. I hope some tablet maker really gets around to making a true Angry Birds themed tablet with the characters painted on the actual tablet and not just some Android theme. Furthermore, the following picture really gives me a neat idea.

Angry Birds Theme Park-620x.jpg

I was thinking about fun things to do at my wedding reception next year (besides dancing :P ) and having a Angry Birds launcher with blocks and pigs to knock down would totally kick ass! I should run the idea by my fiance. I have a feeling she would get a kick out of it. BTW, anybody knows of any brand of permanent colored markers that actually work on plastic. I always had an issue painting plastic but If I could just draw on my devices without the fear of smearing, that would be nifty!

EDIT:
admin, please change topic name from
Rovio Welcomes Angry Birds Infringements w/Open !rms to Rovio Welcomes Angry Birds Infringements w/Open Arms
thanks!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There may be some truth to this. Think about all the Tetris rip offs* there are out there and yet the game is still as commercially viable now as ever.

*Including one from yours truly --maybe I'll release it sometime in the future. :P

What platform did you make your Tetris clone for?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i played some of it and the mechanics are just shit. I dont understand how this game sells so much, then again i dont have to, its obviously proven itself.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Angry birds isn't exactly the most original game ever made either. They're basically not allowed to get mad at copyright infringement.

Somewhat related aside: http://www.dorkly.com/video/15953/dorkly-bits-angry-birds-vs-tiny-wings

Reactions: 8 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not really surprising that this has happened. Rovio is quite a different company in general and the people there.. Well lets say that meeting them in person is quite something.

Oh and btw Peter Vesterbacka isn't the CEO of Rovio. He's the Chief Marketing Office. Mikael Hed is the CEO..

-Qtis

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i played some of it and the mechanics are just shit. I dont understand how this game sells so much, then again i dont have to, its obviously proven itself.

As rare once said about Donkey Kong County and Land "People love mediocre games"
Really? I never thought DKC counted as a "mediocre game". I found them ahead of their time with prerendered graphics and a great soundtrack...

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
To answer your very last question, Lighty: Permanent marker isn't really the best way to go about it. I think hobbyists would tell you to use acryllics and a paint brush, but I'm unsure. Ask a hobby shop.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As rare once said about Donkey Kong County and Land "People love mediocre games"
Really? I never thought DKC counted as a "mediocre game". I found them ahead of their time with prerendered graphics and a great soundtrack...

Good tech does not equal good game. It's like the graphics vs. gameplay argument. A game can look extremely good and still play like shit.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Miyamoto is the one who said that. His quote went "DKC proves that people are willing to deal with mediocre gameplay as long as the visuals are pretty". Rare aren't the ones who said that, i doubt they'd say such a thing. He also later apologized and said he was caught on the spot in frustration for people pressuring him into making Yoshi's Island look more 3D, and that he didn't really mean it. Of course he may have meant it, but whatever.

Personally though in that regard, I consider all the DKC and DK Land games really great. Even without their fancy (for the time) visuals, they're great games. With or without the pretty visuals. In a debate of graphics vs gameplay, gameplay always wins. But DKC to me had both, so win-win.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good tech does not equal good game. It's like the graphics vs. gameplay argument. A game can look extremely good and still play like shit.

I understand that, but the games were also very good. DKC isn't a good example/comparison too angry birds. Anyways Granville took the words out Of my mouth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.